Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc Golf demographics

Hi golfers,

I am new to the NW disc golf site, I love oregon golf to pieces.
    I am trying to put together a business plan to open my own shop in Grants Pass, and am hoping I can get a rough estimate of how many golfers there are in Oregon, and how many of you would rather support a locally owned disc golf specific pro shop, as opposed to the internet or a market type store that stocks a few discs because they are close to a course.

So if anyone has information on how many Oregon golfers there are outside of the 425 PDGA golfers, or a rough estimate, or if you have input on what you would like to see offered in a golf shop, please let me know.

Thank you for your input, happy chuckin.

Since you are going to be opening in Grants Pass, I would go to Riverside and Tom Pearce and ask disc golfers around there what they want in a disc golf store. There is the Movie Rental place on 6th or 7th street with a large selection of discs and magic man on HW 238 near Walgreens, so I would also keep that in mind when picking a location.

I hope that helps

Good luck
    Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

Comment

Honestly, I wonder whether Grants Pass has enough of a disc-golfing population to support a dedicated shop. There's a reason that -- especially in smaller towns -- most discs are sold in businesses that have other stuff going on too.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by runnaman View Post
        Since you are going to be opening in Grants Pass, I would go to Riverside and Tom Pearce and ask disc golfers around there what they want in a disc golf store. There is the Movie Rental place on 6th or 7th street with a large selection of discs and magic man on HW 238 near Walgreens, so I would also keep that in mind when picking a location.

I hope that helps

Good luck
        Thanks for your input,

River side is kind of a joke... they have shortened it twice in the last year and i don't think there is a shot there over 120 feet now. great course for beginning the game if you can get passed the fact that it has kind of become a tweak monger bum hangout park. and I would rather putt at a webber bbq than their home made baskets.

tom pearce is blowing up. our club of about 50 is really working hard to make that place something special. we have 18 new DISCatchers and are adding some good length to the course. I have not been in town since they put in the last 9 baskets last month, but I hear really good things.

As far as current disc selection in town, many golfers have quit shopping at these stores because of their lack of knowledge in the product, and not keeping shelves stocked.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
          Honestly, I wonder whether Grants Pass has enough of a disc-golfing population to support a dedicated shop. There's a reason that -- especially in smaller towns -- most discs are sold in businesses that have other stuff going on too.
          Thank you for your input.

That is my biggest fear of opening a shop in Grants Pass.

There is probably between 300-400 golfers in Grants Pass, with 50 of us belonging to the club, and maybe 100 serious golfers in the town.

even if I can't sustain my shop at first, My bigger goal is promoting disc golf in southern Oregon, trying to get more young people involved and bringing the sport to light in my area. Everyone's current effort is in improving just tom pearce, I want to put southern oregon on the map.

Obviously I hope my shop succeeds. It will all depend on how the golf community recieves having a dedicated shop.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
          Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X