X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alton Baker Disc Golf Course attack!

Looks like the Oregon Track Club is firing the first volley in it's war against the Alton Baker Disc Golf course proposal. The Eugene Register Guard ran the anti-disc golf course editorial written by the OTC president today.

Here is the link to the article:
    http://www.registerguard.com/web/opi...-park.html.csp

Originally posted by Roller Bob View Post
    Looks like the Oregon Track Club is firing the first volley in it's war against the Alton Baker Disc Golf course proposal. The Eugene Register Guard ran the anti-disc golf course editorial written by the OTC president today.

Here is the link to the article:
    http://www.registerguard.com/web/opi...-park.html.csp
    Well if by first volley you mean just the latest and most visible part of a months long campaign by politically connected and well heeled Eugene elitists who don't want to have to even see anyone else using a small part of what they consider to be their own personal public park, then I agree.

At least they finally dropped the charade of safety concerns.

Comment

I like this comment that someone posted.

4. Bill Mallonee
      08/19/2011 12:42PM

I'm a walker (over 2100 miles in the last year on Pre's Trail and the multi-use trails in Alton Baker) and have no interest in playing disc golf. However, I can see no reason why we can't coexist. The disc golf course does not "run over" Pre's Trail - the players cross it in two places to get to the next tees. The course is generally set back from the Trail and wayward discs should rarely get to the Trail. I have more of a problem with groups of "clueless civilians" blocking the trail as they walk, unruly Jr High runners who think they own the entire trail, and dog walkers who walk on one side of the Trail while their leashed dog is on the other side.

My 'sources' in the local running community told me that the real runners in Eugene haven't responded to this op-ed and lit up their bulletin boards with indignation at the thought of a course near Pre's. And believe me, if they felt threatened by something, they'd definitely start typing (in other words, they're a lot like us). But so far it hasn't gained much traction.

The OTC, in making a public case about this, has for some unknown reason decided to wage this struggle in the court of public opinion.

I'm thinking that may not get them to where they want to go.

Comment

http://kezi.com/news/local/221952
        sigpic

Comment

"Under the trial disc golf course, golfers don't play over Pre's Trail but walk over it from hole to hole.

Steve Prefontaine's sister says that will damage the trail...."

Walking ACROSS the trail would cause more damage than running ON it. Interesting take.

Comment

Originally posted by blu666z View Post
            "Under the trial disc golf course, golfers don't play over Pre's Trail but walk over it from hole to hole.

Steve Prefontaine's sister says that will damage the trail...."

Walking ACROSS the trail would cause more damage than running ON it. Interesting take.
            Even the OTC does not support Pre's half-sister and her campaign. It probably helps our cause to have her publicly making false statements because they are easily rebutted in a calm and collected manner.

Disc do not fly over the course. Disc golfers do not walk over the trail from hole to hole, they take two steps to cross the trail in two places. The holes do not back up against the trail. And there will be no damage to the trail.

It'd be great if we could stay in the other thread too, because we still need emails, phone calls, and letters.

Comment

I'm an Oregon fan, Steve Prefontain was an Oregon athlete and therefore I am a fan of him. The accusation that a disc golfer could ruin his legacy is absolutely absurd! I respect his running ability and would never question his legacy. People tend to think way too inside their own box and forget that people exist outside their box who have respect for others even though they participate in different sports.

Comment

Originally posted by mine all mine View Post
                I'm an Oregon fan, Steve Prefontain was an Oregon athlete and therefore I am a fan of him. The accusation that a disc golfer could ruin his legacy is absolutely absurd! I respect his running ability and would never question his legacy. People tend to think way too inside their own box and forget that people exist outside their box who have respect for others even though they participate in different sports.
                I hope you'll consider contacting the public officials listed in the the other thread and expressing your opinions.

Comment

Can't sambody just merge the two threads?

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                  Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X