If Portland were to host the PDGA World's, what would the courses be? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Portland were to host the PDGA World's, what would the courses be?

The current format being used for the PDGA World Championships is to host the tournament on 4, 27 hole courses. Looking over the local courses what 4 do you think would make the best tournament?

Please be responsible in suggestions of location and size. For example Whistler's Bend, although a great course, is too far away for a tournament center of Portland. Many others like Leverich would not have enough room for 27 holes.

My suggestions would be
    1) Milo. Obvious as it already has 27 holes and world recognition
    2) Hornings. Meadow Ridge and the 9 hole version of Canyon. I would drop hole 1 from Canyon and substitute 13.
    3) Pier. Its a well known course for the area and would bring great recognition for the sport due to its in city location. The concern here is fitting another 9 holes in the park would be very tight.
    4) Blue Lake park. If and when complete it would have plenty of room. Also the proposed course layout would clearly be a great challenge for a world Championship.

Post your ideas. With two new PDGA board members from Oregon this could be a possibility.

I hear Trojan is a course
    Throw What You Know.
    "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
    PDGA# 45989

Comment

I would love to see Dabney scrubbed up and setup with an extra 9.
      "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.Ē

Comment

These discussions have already begun. One idea would be to have a host hotel downtown with many courses within 90 minutes (this travel distance is not unprecedented). Courses could include:

Milo East
        Milo West
        Timber
        Dabney
        Pier
        Trojan
        Blue Lake
        Stub Stewart
        A revamped and rebuilt Hagg Lake.

Comment

Well if we're going out to 90 minute drives from Portland then Bryant Park would be my #2 just behind Milo as a suitable course for World's near Portland. After that Horning's and Trojan ring a bell.
          Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Milo. That's the winner there.
            Trojan in Oregon State Championship layout.
            Stub Stewart
            Blue Lake
            Hornings
            "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
            Cleveland Brown

Comment

milo
              hornings
              blue lake or stub
              trojan

........future forest park course...........(pipe dream)

Comment

I wouldn't think we'll see four 27-hole courses for Worlds again. Women took 6.5 hours to play today and these are pros.
                Last edited by Chuck Kennedy; August 11th, 2011, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Word on the street is that HH isn't even in consideration because of the baskets.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    Word on the street is that HH isn't even in consideration because of the baskets.
                    Well that's stupid. Everyone's throwing at the same ones.
                    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

No problem with wedgies...

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                        Well that's stupid. Everyone's throwing at the same ones.
                        Sounds like the perfect opportunity for a basket fundraiser!
                        A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Milo east
                          Milo west
                          Pier
                          Trojan
                          Modified Horning's Gold.
                          Temp course 1 - or course of magnitude and safety of above-mentioned courses
                          Temp course 2 - or course of magnitude and safety of above-mentioned courses
                          ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                          ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                            my problem with that is...

you can host a PDGA sanctioned tournament at 'HH', why not worlds? not good enough for worlds? but good enough for playing PDGA tournaments? errrr

and correct me if im wrong please... maybe its just 'X' tiers that have had rated rounds at hornings. but, errr

Comment

Would this be a Pro Worlds an Am Worlds or a Combined Worlds?

This matters as Chuck can go into much detail about tailoring the course to the divisions playing. I also am not a fan of 27 holes in a round but I am also not for traveling between courses for two separate 18 hole courses in one day.

Last time I checked major sponsors and community organizers here in Portland have expressed only interest in a combined worlds. So this significantly complicates things. The layout would require courses for Pro, Courses for Am and maybe some overlap.

As an Organizer I would split the event into 2 parts and 2 teams so that each is catered to and feels as though they are attending a world championship. Functionally it would be one team but run by two Directors, one on each side.

I would use these courses for the Pro Side
                              Milo East
                              Milo West
                              Blue Lake
                              Pier (Bellinger Layout)
                              Trojan(ODGC Layout)
                              Timber and Dabney for (older age protected divisions only)

Am side I would use:
                              Hornings Canyon all longs and some new placements( Bob willing)
                              Hornings Meadow Ridge modified(Bob willing)
                              Stub Stewart Orange Course
                              Stub Stewart White Course(Park willing to allow the second course)
                              Hagg Lake Modified ( If we could get the approval and team to modify the course)
                              Pier Standard Layout Longs
                              Future Forest Grove Course (Junior and Age protect divisions only)

Now back to your other point about now that we have 2 board members on the PDGA. We have had two on board for the last 6 years so I don't really see how this changes things. Its no secret that the PDGA wants us to run a worlds here and it was talked about at the BSF 2011. The issue is who wants to run it, who wants a second unpaid job for 2 years? Why would we want to run a worlds? What would we as a disc golf community get out of it? How many players would actually give up the opportunity to play and volunteer instead?

Answer those questions in this forum and I think you might actually have a chance at seeing a worlds here.
                              PDGA #25296
                              Stumptown #34

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X