If Portland were to host the PDGA World's, what would the courses be? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by himynameismatt View Post
    I watched the Final 9 at Worlds and have to say I was thoroughly unimpressed with that setup. It's arguably the most prestigious event in disc golf and the final card is teeing off of grass / dirt throwing at temp baskets with wheels still on em. That just kinda killed it for me.
    For better or worse I think it had a lot to do with the gallery experience and the broadcast. Three of the nine holes were regular course holes. That course is very tight in spots and also very big and spread out and the crowds and broadcast would probably not have worked anywhere but where they did it. They were still golf holes and golf shots that the players had to make.

Comment

Wow what a lot of great comments and thoughts from the community. My interest in starting the thread was to see what course people thought would be world class to host a PDGA championships. Lots of other comments popped up. There were a few ones that I wanted to give my thoughts on.

I wouldn't think we'll see four 27-hole courses for Worlds again.
      I understand that the days were long to play 27 but with over 400 individual participants just for a PRO world championship you need lots of holes to cover the tournament. You could use 18 hole courses but then you would have to have more sites to allow for the same number of competitors.

Word on the street is that HH isn't even in consideration because of the baskets.
      I am sure something could be worked out. I never was expecting this to fall into a discussion of are Bob's baskets ok. I am sure for the opportunity to host Worlds on the great courses at HH, some agreement would be reached.

Would this be a Pro Worlds an Am Worlds or a Combined Worlds?
      No idea. I would love to see both but would be happy with one. As a spectator who has no chance of playing in either I would prefer the PROs.

Now back to your other point about now that we have 2 board members on the PDGA. We have had two on board for the last 6 years so I don't really see how this changes things.
      My comment was more in line with if Portland had a competitive bid we would have a good chance of having support on the board for the bid. I would expect the board to chose whats best for the sport. With two members from Oregon I think they would be excited about showing off the home courses to the world.

The issue is who wants to run it, who wants a second unpaid job for 2 years?
      No idea and I wont ever pretend to have the experience to know who is qualified. We have several great tournaments in the state and the local NW area. If the opportunity came up I would hope we would have a few, very qualified candidates.

Why would we want to run a worlds? What would we as a disc golf community get out of it?
      Great question and I can only answer from my point of view. 1) Having worlds in our backyard would allow us to see the best of the best playing in a Major tournament. The BSF is world class but ask any ball golfer if he would prefer to see the Masters or the PGA event of the week. 2) A large tournament like this can bring local support. Hotels being full and people coming into town helps get the city's and business communities behind you, which brings in money. Like it or not money brings course improvements, new courses and other benefits. Milo got new baskets this year, would that have happened if the BSF was not hosted there? Blue lake park may be approved quicker if there was a guarantee that a major tournament was coming. What other courses would be improved or created to support this? 3) Volunteer support would increase. I would personally be much more invested in helping out if I was doing it for a reason, such as getting the area ready for a Major.

Do you have any reason to believe that Pumpkin Ridge would ever consider hosting a disc golf event?
      I have to agree on this one. I see our chances of using a major course like Pumpkin Ridge as zilch. Just think of the money. In the summer they run tee times for 4 every 10. At $100 per person, and about 10 hours of tee times a day they are making $24,000 a day in greens fees. To use the course we would need it for a week. I don't think the DG community wants to sink almost $200,000 just to use there property. It would be nice to think they would be interested for other reasons but they are a business. One of the smaller courses may be up for it but Pumpkin and the Reserve are not going to do it.

It looks like the consensus is the following

Would be suitable now
      Milo
      Pier
      Trojan in ORDGC configuration

Should be ready if needed
      HH, if basket issue was agreed
      Blue Lake, (once built)

Could be used but need some issues addressed
      Stub Stewart (course needs to be finalized with clean up on back 9, would be hell on any live streaming)
      Adair or Bryant (too far? I don't think so)
      Hagg lake (Property is nice but course is in terrible shape)
      Dabney and Timber (Would need redesigns to make tougher)
      Forest Park course (would love it but I have never ever heard of a serious proposal)

Comments?

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Finger View Post
        You didn't read my first reason, now did you?

I have been playing disc golf for 2 years now. I feel I play quite well for the amount of time put into this sport, although I do not shoot 60 at milo.

I came to this website due to someone at the Stumptown DG club meeting saying it was a great way to make new friends, catch up on the new tourneys and leagues, and get to know the community. Since being here, I've seen more people be belittled and shunned than accepted.

All I did was put up an answer to a question and seemed to be berated for giving my opinion.

As for being a westide newb? Besides Scott, I was the only "westsider" who attended the last Stumptown meeting.

I continually hear from these boards how disc golf is striving to be widely accepted by the world of sports, wanting professional sponsorships, community acceptance and a professional atmosphere, yet it doesn't seem any of the powers that be are trying to create these things in the same manner other sports do.

I have yet to see a sport shun new players at the rate the disc golf community in Oregon does.
        A couple people on a message board flicked you some crap for stating what was objectively a pretty crazy opinion. Relax, it doesn't mean disc golfers in Oregon are shunning new players. It's the internet, perhaps you've heard of it.

Milo would obviously be the centerpiece of a Portland Worlds tournament.

I think Trojan, Blue Lake, Pier, and maybe Timber, Stub Stewart, Hornings would make sense. Timber would need a Worlds layout. Blue Lake would need to be built. Stub would need work. Hornings would need baskets. There's my $.02, I await my shunning.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanajanes View Post
          ........future forest park course...........(pipe dream)
          the last thing Forest Park needs is disc course.

Comment

Originally posted by himynameismatt View Post
            I watched the Final 9 at Worlds and have to say I was thoroughly unimpressed with that setup. It's arguably the most prestigious event in disc golf and the final card is teeing off of grass / dirt throwing at temp baskets with wheels still on em. That just kinda killed it for me.
            i thought it was an interesting choice for the final 9 myself because the letter holes at Pinto Lake were some of the easiest and also not the most aesthetically pleasing of holes that we played... however, i was standing near brian graham and overheard him respond to this very point... the holes for the final 9 were chosen by taking into consideration the players, the spectators and the cameras... there would have been absolutely no way on any of the courses that that many people would have been able to follow the action... and even tho those were not the most challenging nor beautiful of holes there was nothing boring or unimpressive about watching those top cards play. and it was great that the hundreds of people who wanted to got to follow all of the action for both the men and women...
            "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
            Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
              Timber would need a Worlds layout.
              I hear Bart Yanoch has some pretty nifty ideas.
              Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Finger View Post
                It is flat, not that difficult, and overplayed.
                And the award for Dumbest Thing Ever Said on These Boards goes to....

Bad Finger!!

Were it possible, I would just shun dumb comments. Sadly, they are too often attached to people... and people often too attached to their dumb comments.

It's cool, dude. You are entitled to your (ridiculous and wrong) opinions.
                ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Just have to keep in mind that some people enjoy pitch and putt, and not strategy and or placement golf. Different strokes for different folks. (even if there opinion sucks )

Comment

But, but, but... Not that difficult? I guess dude can throw 800'.

My bet... homie's never played that (course) or he would never say such an asinine thing.
                    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Let us not forget that everyone is entitled to their opinion. As a devout follower of the Church of Milo I wholeheartedly disagree with what Badfinger said. However, I do not think he deserves to be thrashed for voicing his opinion. He needs to be re-educated. I think 10 weekends at Greenway might just be the solution. Mark my words, he'll be begging for some Milo by day three...

Seriously though, ridiculing everyone with an opinion that differs from our own is absurd. I'm a big fan of using respectful tact to convert people, rather than shame and discourage them.

But then again... what do I know.
                      "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                        Let us not forget that everyone is entitled to their opinion. As a devout follower of the Church of Milo I wholeheartedly disagree with what Badfinger said. However, I do not think he deserves to be thrashed for voicing his opinion. He needs to be re-educated. I think 10 weekends at Greenway might just be the solution. Mark my words, he'll be begging for some Milo by day three...

Seriously though, ridiculing everyone with an opinion that differs from our own is absurd. I'm a big fan of using respectful tact to convert people, rather than shame and discourage them.

But then again... what do I know.
                        Lots
                        Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                        2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                        Stumptown #176
                        PDGA #37716

Comment

If Adair and Bryant are being included in discussion then I would present Jerry Miller DGC @ Camp Taloali into the mix because it has so much space and temp design potential plus the lodging, showers, bonfire, and pavillion available there and it's closer to portland than Adair and Bryant by a good 20-30 minutes.
                          My top choices for courses would be and what work needs to be done
                          Milo West (Ready to rock)
                          Milo East (Ready to rock)
                          Trojan (Tee pads for ORDGC layout)
                          Pier (Ready)
                          Horning's Meadow Ridge (Basket change to be consistent with all rounds)
                          Stubb (Clean up fariways etc)
                          Jerry Miller DGC (Tee pads)
                          Adair (Ready to rock, maybe a couple tee pads for tournament layout for festivus, april fool doubles etc)
                          Bryant (Tee pads)
                          Blue Lake (Everything to put it in the ground)

Timber and Dabney only if we have Am worlds...
                          Last edited by snap7times; August 15th, 2011, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Are Adair and Bryant too far?

Comment

First and foremost-----the final decision will be the TD's (notice that is plural) and the PDGA.

The PDGA has to approve the area which has already been done at the BSF. Also, they will fly in again to approve any area up for consideration.

Second---A bid has not been turned in yet and there are other cities wanting the Worlds in 2013.

And last----there will be some things that we as disc golfers will have to agree to disagree.
                              So lets play nicely and not trash talk about any courses or equipment that someone has worked hard on
                              PDGA President

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca View Post
                                First and foremost-----the final decision will be the TD's (notice that is plural) and the PDGA.

The PDGA has to approve the area which has already been done at the BSF. Also, they will fly in again to approve any area up for consideration.

Second---A bid has not been turned in yet and there are other cities wanting the Worlds in 2013.

And last----there will be some things that we as disc golfers will have to agree to disagree.
                                So lets play nicely and not trash talk about any courses or equipment that someone has worked hard on
                                Technically, TDs' (decision) would make it plural.
                                Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X