If Portland were to host the PDGA World's, what would the courses be? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You would have a Worlds in Oregon and NOT include Milo?

Do you have any reason to believe that Pumpkin Ridge would ever consider hosting a disc golf event?

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Finger View Post
      Personally, due to travel distances and time allotments, I would say that a worlds run here in Oregon should go:

Hornings
      Stub Stewart
      Temporary Course setup at Pumpkin Ridge Golf Course.

This would allow for easy travel between the sites, and a "world class" course in Pumpkin Ridge, the difficulty of Stub, and a course that is rated in the top 10 courses consistantly in HH.

gotta luv westside newbies

"In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
        You would have a Worlds in Oregon and NOT include Milo?

Do you have any reason to believe that Pumpkin Ridge would ever consider hosting a disc golf event?
        Answer to #1, yes, leave Milo off the list. It already hosts the BSF and shouldn't be used twice in a year. The PGA doesn't, so why should we? It is flat, not that difficult, and overplayed. There isn't any businesses near it that could benefit from hosting a tournament there, and for that reason wouldn't get many sponsorships.

Answer to #2: Money. Get enough sponsors, and ANY golf course will rent be it Pumpkin Ridge, The Reserve, or any other great course. Just ask the rest of the country, renting out ball golf courses is "par" for holding disc tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by NWDiscer View Post
          gotta luv westside newbies

Yah, newbies. Love em. Hahah. Even better to call new members around these parts Newbies and point fingers in a "ever loving fun way that is in no way meant to make them feel lesser than the other members who have been around these boards longer".

Ahh.....newbs......

Comment

Yah, newbies. Love em. Hahah. Even better to call new members around these parts Newbies and point fingers in a "ever loving fun way that is in no way meant to make them feel lesser than the other members who have been around these boards longer".

Ahh.....newbs......

yep im a dik

who has nothing better to do than belittle New discers that feel things should be done for them "personally".....

Personally, due to travel distances and time allotments, I would say that a worlds run here in Oregon should go:

have a nice day

Comment

Answer to #1, yes, leave Milo off the list. It is flat, not that difficult.
              so you shoot under 60 at Milo quite often then...

Comment

Originally posted by NWDiscer View Post
                so you shoot under 60 at Milo quite often then...

You didn't read my first reason, now did you?

I have been playing disc golf for 2 years now. I feel I play quite well for the amount of time put into this sport, although I do not shoot 60 at milo.

I came to this website due to someone at the Stumptown DG club meeting saying it was a great way to make new friends, catch up on the new tourneys and leagues, and get to know the community. Since being here, I've seen more people be belittled and shunned than accepted.

All I did was put up an answer to a question and seemed to be berated for giving my opinion.

As for being a westide newb? Besides Scott, I was the only "westsider" who attended the last Stumptown meeting.

I continually hear from these boards how disc golf is striving to be widely accepted by the world of sports, wanting professional sponsorships, community acceptance and a professional atmosphere, yet it doesn't seem any of the powers that be are trying to create these things in the same manner other sports do.

I have yet to see a sport shun new players at the rate the disc golf community in Oregon does.

Comment

Answer to #1, yes, leave Milo off the list. It already hosts the BSF and shouldn't be used twice in a year. The PGA doesn't, so why should we? It is flat, not that difficult, and overplayed. There isn't any businesses near it that could benefit from hosting a tournament there, and for that reason wouldn't get many sponsorships.

ok so heres your whole 1st response

#1 "The PGA doesn't"... so what we are not ball golf....and to not use 1 of the Top 5 courses in the WORLD.... oh wait thats right the 12X World Champion said it was in his Top 3...

im skipping a reason for #2 see above
                  "It is flat, not that difficult, and overplayed."

#3 "There isn't any businesses near it that could benefit from hosting a tournament there, and for that reason wouldn't get many sponsorships"...

oh yea my bad that is right they never get any sponsors for the BSF......

again i will go back to being a dik and you have a nice day

Answer to #2: Money. Get enough sponsors, and ANY golf course will rent be it Pumpkin Ridge, The Reserve, or any other great course. Just ask the rest of the country, renting out ball golf courses is "par" for holding disc tournaments.

go ahead and check with either of those course and see what it would cost to "CLOSE" those courses for over a week.....to all there members.

Comment

so its ok for you to state your opinion, but not any1 else to have a rebuttal to it.....

All I did was put up an answer to a question and seemed to be berated for giving my opinion.
                    im sorry to have put your panties in a bunch over my statement in regards to your "opinion" i will no longer respond to anything you post cause i would hate to hurt your feelings anymore.

Comment

Bad Finger, typically speaking, the region hosting worlds doesn't have an NT that year. Take Santa Cruz for example this year, they did not host the yearly NT event so they could prepare for worlds. Blue Lake will be a GREAT central location for worlds, host hotels near by, the airport what 10-15 minutes away? Milo within 40 minutes, Pier within 40 minutes, Trojan a little over an hour away. As far as a central location goes I, and others believe it will be amazing when the course goes in. And while I appreciate what Bob has done for Hornings, and what Flash and Stumptown have done for Stub Stewart, in there current form I do not believe they are world class courses.

Comment

Anyone who says Milo is not that difficult, but doesn't play well there obviously has it all figured out lol
                        Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
                        Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

I guess when Ken Climo says Milo is one of his favorite courses in the world, what he's really saying is it's not that difficult, and we should not consider using it in world's.... Lol, whatever dude. Of all the courses we should consider, Milo tops the list...NO Brainer.
                          DiscGolf- The ONLY time to enjoy being negative(-)

Comment

Originally posted by lankdogg View Post
                            I guess when Ken Climo says Milo is one of his favorite courses in the world, what he's really saying is it's not that difficult, and we should not consider using it in world's.... Lol, whatever dude. Of all the courses we should consider, Milo tops the list...NO Brainer.
                            I just got back from the Worlds and was thinking we could get this done up here before i played my last round.We have the courses or will soon and our disc golf family is getting bigger and stronger all the time.They did a good job but I think we could do better.We do not need 4 27 hole courses.just good solid 18s and a lot of organization and commitment.

Comment

I watched the Final 9 at Worlds and have to say I was thoroughly unimpressed with that setup. It's arguably the most prestigious event in disc golf and the final card is teeing off of grass / dirt throwing at temp baskets with wheels still on em. That just kinda killed it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                                First off people don't point the finger at Scott he is just repeating the sentiments that he has heard from other disc golfers about the baskets used at Horning's Hideout.

Bob the concern that I have heard from some players is not that the baskets meet specification but just that they are different from what they are used to. I have also heard complaints about the baskets ability to catch hard puts and allowing more than usual number of spit thrus, bounce offs, and the skip off the upper lip. Baskets made by the top manufacturers allow give on the cage if smacked hard, due to the structure, which will absorb some of the force of the disc and they have nubs on the top surface of the cage that slow a disc down that other wise would hit that surface and normally fly off with a good amount of speed intact. In other words misses on your baskets are more punitive then on the other manufacturers baskets in these people opinions. The baskets are fine and they meet spec but the simple fact is if people don't like something, whether its founded or not, they won't like it no matter what you show them. I think the baskets at Horning's Hideout suffer from an image problem within the disc golf community and the split seems to be about 50/50.

I realize that this post may now put me into the arena of personal attack because I was candid enough to bring to written words what people murmur about this subject but whatever. Disc golfers are picky people, just look at the discussion about plastic types, molds and manufacturers. Does it surprise everyone that baskets would be any less of a heated debated topic.
                                Worlds would not be played on non-standard baskets, whether they are PDGA approved or not. It's not about whether the baskets catch well or not, or Bob's hard work to make them and get them approved. It's about the players reaction to them, and people spending thousands to travel across the country and world to play in the biggest tournament are not going to accept playing on baskets made of car wheels. Say what you will, that's just the truth.

No reason you couldn't either raise the money to replace the HH baskets for Worlds or just bring baskets in from another course for the week. Delaveaga replaced all 27 baskets for Worlds 2011.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X