If Portland were to host the PDGA World's, what would the courses be? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott View Post
    Word on the street is that HH isn't even in consideration because of the baskets.
    Where did you hear that, for the baskets are certified by the PDGA as baskets that can be used on any tournament.

Comment

The Horning targets are approved at the Championship level suitable for Worlds competition and all levels below.

The next Pro-Am combo Worlds would likely be planned for 2016 if there's a bidder, four years after the Charlotte combo next year in 2012.

Comment

I can't imagine what the time commitment would be like for a DG community to host worlds but it would be an AMAZING opportunity and one well worth the effort...

Comment

Originally posted by Huk'nGeiks View Post
          I can't imagine what the time commitment would be like for a DG community to host worlds but it would be an AMAZING opportunity and one well worth the effort...
          I am hearing from some of the volunteers down here in Santa Cruz that they have been at it for a year and a half to two years.

Cindy
          Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
          2013 Chick Flick co-TD
          Stumptown #176
          PDGA #37716

Comment

I read somewhere that in preparation for worlds in Charlotte, they're installing 7 new courses in the span of ~2 years. I can't even fathom that level of organization and community support. We're lucky if we get 2 courses in 7 years around here.
            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Realistically, about 9 courses is enough to host a Pro-Am Worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Horning View Post
                Where did you hear that, for the baskets are certified by the PDGA as baskets that can be used on any tournament.
                First off people don't point the finger at Scott he is just repeating the sentiments that he has heard from other disc golfers about the baskets used at Horning's Hideout.

Bob the concern that I have heard from some players is not that the baskets meet specification but just that they are different from what they are used to. I have also heard complaints about the baskets ability to catch hard puts and allowing more than usual number of spit thrus, bounce offs, and the skip off the upper lip. Baskets made by the top manufacturers allow give on the cage if smacked hard, due to the structure, which will absorb some of the force of the disc and they have nubs on the top surface of the cage that slow a disc down that other wise would hit that surface and normally fly off with a good amount of speed intact. In other words misses on your baskets are more punitive then on the other manufacturers baskets in these people opinions. The baskets are fine and they meet spec but the simple fact is if people don't like something, whether its founded or not, they won't like it no matter what you show them. I think the baskets at Horning's Hideout suffer from an image problem within the disc golf community and the split seems to be about 50/50.

I realize that this post may now put me into the arena of personal attack because I was candid enough to bring to written words what people murmur about this subject but whatever. Disc golfers are picky people, just look at the discussion about plastic types, molds and manufacturers. Does it surprise everyone that baskets would be any less of a heated debated topic.
                PDGA #25296
                Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  I read somewhere that in preparation for worlds in Charlotte, they're installing 7 new courses in the span of ~2 years. I can't even fathom that level of organization and community support. We're lucky if we get 2 courses in 7 years around here.
                  My concern for courses that new would be at what maturity level would they be for worlds. However given the fact that NC has produced more Amateur champions then any other state in the last decade means they also have the player base to make those courses mature in a shorter amount of time.
                  PDGA #25296
                  Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                    First off people don't point the finger at Scott he is just repeating the sentiments that he has heard from other disc golfers about the baskets used at Horning's Hideout.

Bob the concern that I have heard from some players is not that the baskets meet specification but just that they are different from what they are used to. I have also heard complaints about the baskets ability to catch hard puts and allowing more than usual number of spit thrus, bounce offs, and the skip off the upper lip. Baskets made by the top manufacturers allow give on the cage if smacked hard, due to the structure, which will absorb some of the force of the disc and they have nubs on the top surface of the cage that slow a disc down that other wise would hit that surface and normally fly off with a good amount of speed intact. In other words misses on your baskets are more punitive then on the other manufacturers baskets in these people opinions. The baskets are fine and they meet spec but the simple fact is if people don't like something, whether its founded or not, they won't like it no matter what you show them. I think the baskets at Horning's Hideout suffer from an image problem within the disc golf community and the split seems to be about 50/50.

I realize that this post may now put me into the arena of personal attack because I was candid enough to bring to written words what people murmur about this subject but whatever. Disc golfers are picky people, just look at the discussion about plastic types, molds and manufacturers. Does it surprise everyone that baskets would be any less of a heated debated topic.
                    Disc Golfers confuse me. In one breathe you say make the baskets harder and the next you say you don't like a certain kind of basket because it's harder to putt in to. It kind of reminds me of the whole "let's make Disc Golf big" argument where people want the sport in the olympics and on ESPN and such. Then when you ask Disc Golfers why they play/like Disc Golf over Golf (ball) it's because the game is cheap, fun, creative and there is no dress code/funny pants or collared shirts requirement which is the opposite of what would happen if the sport went big, but I'll leave that argument for another day...

The baskets at Horning's will not catch sloppy putts as well as a "tradition" basket; isn't that a good thing though? Do we really want to reward someone for throwing as hard as they can at the basket? There is a sweet spot to every basket and there should be a point where a certain speed of the disc hitting the chains will not catch. In Golf (ball) if you hit the ball to hard it will hit the cup and not go in. There is a lot we can learn from Golf (ball) without becoming it.
                    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

So, if HH baskets had nubs they would be more acceptable for a Worlds tourney? OK.
                      Seems to me if everyone is on the same field, regardless of nubs, the results will be true.
                      Really, I'd just love to see Worlds in the NW even though I've never played HH........but I will.

Comment

Worlds should have world class courses. Sorry Bob, I don't think your baskets are world class.

This is related to the chief complaint at this year's worlds, not all courses are world class. All the infrastructure, activities, meetings, ect have been world class. Courses, not so much.
                        Last edited by Sean Phillips; August 12th, 2011, 08:33 PM. Reason: Stupid smart phone

Comment

My only problem with the Horning's Baskets is that the top 4" of chain don't catch AT ALL. They are a little tight up there a problem that could be alleviated by adding a couple more chain links.

Anyways Portland/Vancouver area is at least 3 courses away from being able to host an event of this magnitude. But Pier, Hornings Gold, and Milo are the only courses that are worthy. Never played the OSDGC layout for Trojan so I can't comment on that. But anyone who said Dabney...:facepalm:

Comment

The HH chains are "tight" at the top because there are no sliders. Commercial baskets have sliding chain attachments to provide "give" so they will still catch when they are hit too high (above the sweet spot). Bob has modified (improved) his basket design before, and I would not be surprised if he could do it again. I would vote for HH being included in a Worlds. I do not feel that all the courses need to be 27-hole either. And since we are including courses that are 90 minutes out, let's include the mighty Adair Park (more fun to play than Bryant, IMHO, though I might include it, too). I also think I could come up with a fun 18 at Timber Linn, sort of a combination of all the best Calapooia layouts. And what about Waterloo? Is it world class?

So I say:
                            Milo East
                            Milo West
                            Trojan (ORDGC)
                            Adair
                            Bryant
                            Waterloo
                            Pier
                            Hornings Ridge (with a few safety and repetition tweaks)
                            Hornings Canyon (Protected divisions)
                            Timber (Protected divisions) (with a few safety tweaks)
                            Dabney (Protected divisions) (with a few safety tweaks)
                            N Bonneville (Protected divisions) (underrated: not hugely challenging, but respectable and fun)

Blue Lake Park?

I would say we have enough courses, and what we need is a cohesive organizing force, something perhaps combing the collective strength of Stumptown, DGOD, BSF, Next Adventure, WDGC, DG Depot, Huk Lab, Acerbinky, Griplok, Night Riders, Mud Turtle, etc.

And all good Worlds need to have an epic mini course, too, with a tournament!
                            Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                            Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                            Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                            Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                            Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

I too agree Milo, Pier, and HH gold are the three best suited for Worlds. Stub could easily be incorporated as well.
                              Last edited by JR Stengele; August 14th, 2011, 08:49 AM.
                              "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
                              -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

Personally, due to travel distances and time allotments, I would say that a worlds run here in Oregon should go:

Hornings
                                Stub Stewart
                                Temporary Course setup at Pumpkin Ridge Golf Course.

This would allow for easy travel between the sites, and a "world class" course in Pumpkin Ridge, the difficulty of Stub, and a course that is rated in the top 10 courses consistantly in HH.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X