Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDGA App for IPhone

Just downloaded the new PDGA app.

$4.99

This looks like it has some nice features that DG Caddy didn't have.

Within the app you can search for nearby courses and it seems to do a better job of tracking and archving other people's scores.

Score entry is pretty easy and it looks like you'll be able to see the screen on bright days.

Another nice feature is that it will calculate your round rating if the course you played is listed on the PDGA site. You might have to estimate the distances if the course has multiple pin placements, and it can't take bad or windy weather into account (when everyone shoots bad).

All in all, seems like a useful tool. Anyone else tried it?

Originally posted by Jim J View Post
    Just downloaded the new PDGA app.

$4.99

This looks like it has some nice features that DG Caddy didn't have.

Within the app you can search for nearby courses and it seems to do a better job of tracking and archving other people's scores.

Score entry is pretty easy and it looks like you'll be able to see the screen on bright days.

Another nice feature is that it will calculate your round rating if the course you played is listed on the PDGA site. You might have to estimate the distances if the course has multiple pin placements, and it can't take bad or windy weather into account (when everyone shoots bad).

All in all, seems like a useful tool. Anyone else tried it?
    I downloaded it last night, but haven't played around with it yet. I bought it to support more development of the platform as much as for use. I really like DG Caddy and use it a lot. The approximate ratings feature on the PDGA app is pretty cool, and I believe they have plans to make it possible to do live scoring and score submissions for TD's too.

Comment

Why is this not free for the PDGA membership?
      I'm paying $50 a year for something.

Comment

The PDGA sells a variety of things they bought from a supplier: rulebooks, official shirt, scoreports, DVDs, etc. The software development for the app was contracted out in the same way. As a member, I would think you might be more upset if it was given away free to members since only a minority of members could use it and all members chipped in to pay for its development.

Comment

Make this for Android already.

Comment

Originally posted by Vector_2008 View Post
            Why is this not free for the PDGA membership?
            I'm paying $50 a year for something.
            And an IPhone App isn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
              The PDGA sells a variety of things they bought from a supplier: rulebooks, official shirt, scoreports, DVDs, etc. The software development for the app was contracted out in the same way. As a member, I would think you might be more upset if it was given away free to members since only a minority of members could use it and all members chipped in to pay for its development.
              I already get a rule book free with membership.
              I would be impressed if this was an exclusive membership benefit.

Think of all the iPhone users that would join the PDGA. They buy everything that is new and shiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                The approximate ratings feature on the PDGA app is pretty cool, and I believe they have plans to make it possible to do live scoring and score submissions for TD's too.

Nice of you to support them without a trial version. Given the mess that the PDGA website has become and given that some of the people involved in that project are involved with this project say that you are a man of faith. They are using the revenue generated by the early adopters to hopefully continue to fund the project and release future versions that are more feature rich.

Sorry to see that they could not release it on the iphone and android platforms at the same time.

Sounds like some rules regarding GPS tracking and distance tracking will need to be changed in order to allow the use of these types of devices in official events. Based on the current rules the possession of a distance tracking device is against the rules in PDGA play, 802.04. Given that almost every cell phone made in the last 3 years has a GPS chip in the device it will require the BOD to make a change to the rules.
                PDGA #25296
                Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                  Nice of you to support them without a trial version.
                  It wasn't an act of charity. The PDGA app is substantially better than the others on the market. So I would say it's a good value regardless of who developed it.

They are using the revenue generated by the early adopters to hopefully continue to fund the project and release future versions that are more feature rich.
                  Looking forward to the upgrades.

Sounds like some rules regarding GPS tracking and distance tracking will need to be changed in order to allow the use of these types of devices in official events.
                  I don't see the use of this app as being inconsistent with 802.04 or hard to enforce. The rule talks about using a GPS, but then does go on to talk about carrying the GPS, so there's some confusion there.

But the intent of the rule is clear. If people are putzing with their phone while playing a hole (specifically when they are at their lie), then it's pretty likely they're obtaining a distance to pin. Easy to enforce unless they're deep in the brush and can't be seen.

But pulling your phone out after a hole to record scores (which takes about 15 seconds) shouldn't pose an enforcement problem.

I seem to recall that there is (was) a prohibition against carrying a working cell phone, but a quick search didn't find it. Might be in the comp manual somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim J View Post
                    It wasn't an act of charity. The PDGA app is substantially better than the others on the market. So I would say it's a good value regardless of who developed it.

Looking forward to the upgrades.

I don't see the use of this app as being inconsistent with 802.04 or hard to enforce. The rule talks about using a GPS, but then does go on to talk about carrying the GPS, so there's some confusion there.

But the intent of the rule is clear. If people are putzing with their phone while playing a hole (specifically when they are at their lie), then it's pretty likely they're obtaining a distance to pin. Easy to enforce unless they're deep in the brush and can't be seen.

But pulling your phone out after a hole to record scores (which takes about 15 seconds) shouldn't pose an enforcement problem.

I seem to recall that there is (was) a prohibition against carrying a working cell phone, but a quick search didn't find it. Might be in the comp manual somewhere.

People spend $3.50 on a caramel macchiatto, I don't worry about $5 for a permanent disc golf app for my phone for which I will get the upgrades gratis.

Just the approximate ratings generator is cool enough.

If anyone is interested in the app and the potential GPS rules violations/changes you should check out the PDGA I-phone App thread on the PDGA Discussion board where there has been plenty of discussion on these topics. It sounds like the GPS rule may go out the window. Personally, I don't see that it's that much of an advantage to know how far your GPS thinks you are from a pin. A good player, or a local will always have the advantage.

Comment

The GPS rule is bogus. Unless you have exact location based on latitude and longitude on the pin itself, it's useless. A player would have to walk around, mark every basket, upload that information and then stand there till their GPS picked up their location and did it's thing. This is bull.

Back on topic, when will I get to have all these cool apps on a Android? Damn you Apple for always having the coolest toys.
                      "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                      Cleveland Brown

Comment

Saw this app yesterday. I have to say I was impressed, the features are simple to use and overall highly effective for casual or even scoring tournament play.
                        "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
                          The GPS rule is bogus. Unless you have exact location based on latitude and longitude on the pin itself, it's useless.
                          That's how the ball golf smart phone apps work. They DO have the latitude and longitude of every green stored/accessible for every major course. Now THAT'S something for disc golf to aspire to!

(Probably Adam S already HAS this information! )
                          Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                          Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                          Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                          Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                          Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                            That's how the ball golf smart phone apps work. They DO have the latitude and longitude of every green stored/accessible for every major course. Now THAT'S something for disc golf to aspire to!

(Probably Adam S already HAS this information! )
                            The PDGA is trying to achieve this as well. That's why the rule will need to be tweaked.

There are other apps out there and they have courses available and scoring features as well as handicaps and other items of interest. Basically the reason they need to get this app out there is so that Don Richter can stop turning in misadded score cards!!!!! That should be reason enough for him to buy it. Me, I will continue to use easy scorecard on Android, even after they get their Android version ready for Launch, just because the PDGA development team felt that launching first on IOS was the best idea!!!
                            PDGA #25296
                            Stumptown #34

Comment

Just used the PDGA score keeper today and I will probably switch from DG Caddy to the new PDGA app (but with a couple of qualifications). It was easier than DG Caddy to enter scores, and easier to read. I liked the scorecard player order shuffle. That alone could save time on casual rounds of 4 or more. No more "Who's up? Was I up before you? 2's? any 3's?" For some reason after taking scores I still seemed to be last on the tee. I suppose that will be fixed with a software update (or I learn to throw better). Seemed easy enough to enter new courses, since I used it at Alton Baker Disc Golf Course (we hope) and it's not in the PDGA directory. The app found all our local area courses fine and I'm sure that would be handy if I ever went someplace I didn't know where the local courses were. (Not likely.) I loved the round ratings, though I only had one round at Dexter to try it on. I hope they add the statistical tracking that DG Caddy had. I liked seeing my averages for different holes on the courses I played. Also the graph showing my par deviation over time for a particular course was nice. If the PDGA score keeper adds those two features or something similar I'll dump DG Caddy. Until then I'll still use DG Caddy as a extra/backup/time waster to keep track of the stats. But I'm looking forward to the PDGA scorekeeper upgrades and plan on using it for all my daily score keeping duties.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X