Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I submitted this to the PDGA Board in early June for their review and approval for starting in 2012 since I knew we would need to consider the change in support of not only the PDGA ap but other apps players may be using once live scoring becomes more common in groups who have the technology in all events. No action yet. The red section is the proposed change:

802.04 Artificial Devices
    A. During a round, a player shall not use any artificial device that may assist in making a throw, except those devices that reduce or control abrasion to the skin (such as gloves, tape, bandages, gauze, etc.) and medical items (such as knee and ankle braces, etc.). Items used to prevent slipping on the teeing surface are also allowed. A player is specifically prohibited from using any artificial device that changes the position of the disc in the player’s hand or artificially lengthens any of the player’s throwing levers (fingers, wrist, arm, shoulder, etc.). Devices may be carried to make measurements required for rules enforcement. Devices for measuring distances greater than 10 meters may also be carried and used. Using a longer range measuring device does not grant the player any more time before making their throws.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
      People spend $3.50 on a caramel macchiatto, I don't worry about $5 for a permanent disc golf app for my phone for which I will get the upgrades gratis.

Just the approximate ratings generator is cool enough.

If anyone is interested in the app and the potential GPS rules violations/changes you should check out the PDGA I-phone App thread on the PDGA Discussion board where there has been plenty of discussion on these topics. It sounds like the GPS rule may go out the window. Personally, I don't see that it's that much of an advantage to know how far your GPS thinks you are from a pin. A good player, or a local will always have the advantage.
      +1 to this

I'm more than presently surprised that our beloved local pirate course Shale City is in the database giving a look at ratings on a course which seems so far away from any kind of ratings when you are up there in the quiet. Cool to get a feel for it though.

I'm would hope to see in a future update enough variables (wind, hole distance, woodedness) for 'custom' courses to be able to spit out a ratings estimate. That would be about all I would ever ask of an app like this.

Still a cool app. The ratings thing although not perfect was enough to get me to try this digital scorecard business.

Comment

Just found a fatal flaw with this app. It pulls course data from the PDGA course directory, which has been all but abandoned by the disc golf community in favor of disc course review.

According to this app, there are only two courses at HH. I don't see a way to add courses on the fly.

Comment

You can Add Course in the upper right after tapping the Start Round option. That's how you get custom courses added or ones not in the directory.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
            Just found a fatal flaw with this app. It pulls course data from the PDGA course directory, which has been all but abandoned by the disc golf community in favor of disc course review.

According to this app, there are only two courses at HH. I don't see a way to add courses on the fly.
            Not sure there is a fatal flaw here, and I'm pretty sure most people buying the app who did a little research know this. The success of the app is going to be tied to updating the course directory, which is done by members.

If you bought or are going to buy the app you probably want to monitor the PDGA Discussion board thread about it, as that is where the developers and users are discussing it and making suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
              Not sure there is a fatal flaw here, and I'm pretty sure most people buying the app who did a little research know this. The success of the app is going to be tied to updating the course directory, which is done by members.

If you bought or are going to buy the app you probably want to monitor the PDGA Discussion board thread about it, as that is where the developers and users are discussing it and making suggestions.
              Is there a feature in the app to submit updates to the online course directory? I am an Android user so I can't get on board with this app. I use Easy Scorecard Pro which maintains its own online course database. It allows you to either create a course/tee on the website, OR create it inside the app and then upload to the online database for approval.
              SDGA PR Guy.... bringing the Public to the Relations... or the Relations to the Public?

Comment

[QUOTE=Simmeltron;104288] I use Easy Scorecard Pro [QUOTE]

Really? Hadn't noticed.

Comment

[QUOTE=Matt B.;104290][QUOTE=Simmeltron;104288] I use Easy Scorecard Pro

Really? Hadn't noticed.
                  You really should be more aware, especially of the alarming rate that trees are being hugged.
                  SDGA PR Guy.... bringing the Public to the Relations... or the Relations to the Public?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    Indeed, the quality of that portion of the app is directly based on the quality of data in the PDGA Course Directory, which is abysmal at best. This is obviously something that the development team had no control over. But while hindsight is 20/20, I think that members of the PDGA IT team, in conjuction with the release of this app, should have had the foresight to call on folks to update the data in the PDGA Course Directory. This has been done several times in the past decade by Cliffe Towne and company in preparation for the hard copy printings of the PDGA Course Directory. When I was PDGA state coordinator 3 years ago, I remember a similar drive and I sent out e-mails to every single course contact in my state to either update the directory, or send me the information and I would do it for them. Pleasantly, I heard back from several dozen people and was confident that the info for my state in the hard copy was mostly up-to-date. It should not have taken much labor or effort to initiate a similar drive; one e-mail to all 50 State Coordinators may have been all that was necessary.

But then again, even such a simple effort may have been all for naught if, due to the slowness of the PDGA website, it took people so long to load the PDGA Course Directory that they gave up on updating the information. As unfair as it may be, folks are going to continue to judge the PDGA iPhone app by the quality of the data it accesses. Sadly, I think that until the PDGA website is fixed and folks can access it in an expedient manner, and until a majority of the PDGA Course Directory is updated with current information, the PDGA iPhone app may continue to yield unpleasant experiences and garner negative reviews.
                    sigpic

Comment

I used the app last night for the first time, and liked it a lot. Really intuitive and easy to use. The course directory is lacking, but course information can be entered, updated, and saved for future use. I will certainly be doing that for my local courses.

I've never used any of the other online scoring tools, so I can't really talk about how they compare.

Comment

Theo indicated that V1.03 update is available for downloading from the App store. Main improvements are handling long courses names better and more accurate ratings for courses with other than 18 holes.

Comment

I have been testing the app and I give it two thumbs up!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X