Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never played a tournament...what divison am I?

Hello-

I've been playing for almost a year and a half now and would like to enter a tournament. However, I've run into a couple things that need explaining. What do all the tournament acronyms stand for and how do I figure out what I am? And I do have to become a PDGA member, right?

I saw the explainer on the PDGA website on the ratings system and how it works, but how does it work for a newbie in their first tournament.

Thanks.

If it's based on age, I'm 35. My average score at Adair is around +5 now, at Willamette is about even to -1 (if that helps).
    It's not whether you've won or lost, it's how many beers you were driven to drink after you're done.

Sign up for MA2. (It used to be called Intermediate). If you win or do very well in your first event, then consider moving up to MA1.
    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Welcome PBF!

Look at the grid for an explanation of division-codes and age-based-divisions:
      http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/...visionGrid.pdf

I would recommend you register for your first event in MA2 and see how it goes?
      MA1 is another possibility?

You are not required to become a PDGA member to participate in *most* events. You only need a membership to participate in SuperTours, National Tour Elite Series and Majors.

Join: http://www.pdga.com/join
      Benefits: http://www.pdga.com/members/benefits

Comment

Ask Sam
        "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
        Cleveland Brown

Comment

... as far as the acronyms and such goes... i only know the one for the division i play in... i'd say don't stress on that...

acronyms can suck it.
          "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
          Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
            acronyms can suck it.
            A.C.S.I.
            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
              Ask Sam
              "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                Sign up for MA2. (It used to be called Intermediate). If you win or do very well in your first event, then consider moving up to MA1.

What he said

As far as the PDGA goes if the event you play in is not Sanctioned then you will not need to be a member, if said event is Sanc. then it will save you $10 if you want/plan on playing a lot of events then it makes great sense to save $10 at each 1.

good luck huk'em str8
                "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Based on the scores you posted, AM2 (Intermediate) sounds like a good place to start. On a side note, don't be disappointed if you don't shoot those scores in a tournament (not sure of which one you plan on playing). Tournament golf is an entirely different animal.

Do you have friends that have played in tournaments? How do you compare?

As mentioned, you don't have to join the PDGA to play in most tournaments, but you will pay a $10 fee if you are not a member. It's a pretty good idea to join if you plan on playing more than one tournament - the rating tracking can be an excellent way to guage your progress.

Comment

Thanks for the replies (especially Bryan for the chart).

Scott: Yeah, I figure I'm going to tighten up in the tourney setting. I don't have many disc golf friends as of yet. I started playing while writing my thesis, to keep my sanity. Now I'm pretty addicted. I bought a basket for my backyard this summer (which has done wonders for my putting).

I'm thinking I'm going to play the Calapooia tournament at Bryant.
                    It's not whether you've won or lost, it's how many beers you were driven to drink after you're done.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                    Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X