Stat Geeks: Beaver State Fling - MPO Hole by Hole Scoring Analysis Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason white is used for marking many green grass sports fields is it's one of the best colors for color blind athletes and, more importantly officials, to see. We always try to use white paint for marking OB, temp tees and directional arrows on the grass for that reason. The advice is actually in the How to Run a PDGA Event document at the end of Appendix A on page 7:
    http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/...t%20112108.pdf

Comment

The PDGA is looking out for us color blind folks. White is a great idea for markers. I am sure white baskets are not popular because of how they look once they are slightly weathered. Thanks PDGA for thinking of us color blind disc golfers.

Comment

I think white baskets would be less popular due to vandalism.

Comment

im not colorblind. ugh. "Human color perception is dependent upon the interaction of all receptor cells with light, and this combination results in nearly trichromic stimulation. There are shifts in color sensitivity with variations in light levels, so that blue colors look relatively brighter in dim light and red colors look brighter in bright light. This effect can be observed by pointing a flashlight onto a color print, which will result in the reds suddenly appearing much brighter and more saturated. In recent years, consideration of human color visual sensitivity has led to changes in the long-standing practice of painting emergency vehicles, such as fire trucks and ambulances, entirely red. Although the color is intended for the vehicles to be easily seen and responded to, the wavelength distribution is not highly visible at low light levels and appears nearly black at night." -Florida State University optical science web site. http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/l...sionintro.html
          dark red was a bad choice for all normal people to be able to see when the basket is shaded. they really stand out well when they're in the sun though. over half of the basket placements, however, are not in the sun.

Comment

another study i found done by the BLM or someone similar found that overwhelmingly florescent pink was the most noticed color against a forest backdrop for tree flagging. hot pink discs are impossible to lose!

Comment

To the jeffs, please do not be personally offended by my dislike of red baskets. i also think purple, dark blue, brown, black or most greens would've been bad choices.

Comment

People are proud of the Beaver State Fling and Milo McIver and they just want to make it better each year, thus the comments and constructive criticism.

But if you really want to help out instead of just commenting on a forum send your comments or suggestions to the TD's when they can make the changes. If you have course ideas come out early in the planning year and make suggestions and help get them done. If every one took interest in the course with just one hole the course would be that much better next year.
                PDGA #25296
                Stumptown #34

Comment

they're both on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesy View Post
                    To the jeffs, please do not be personally offended by my dislike of red baskets. i also think purple, dark blue, brown, black or most greens would've been bad choices.
                    Maybe they should have had big yellow flags sticking out of the tops of the baskets.

Wouldn't that be great?

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                      FYI: The players who carded a "3" on E14 were:

Jere Eshelman
                      Paul Ulibarri
                      Dana Vicich

Mad props to these guys. That is quite an accomplishment.
                      Seriously! I feel pretty damn good about taking a 5 on it!
                      DGOD Tag #2
                      Grip Lok Tag #17

Who wants to play?

Comment

Originally posted by ellswrth View Post
                        Seriously! I feel pretty damn good about taking a 5 on it!
                        At least you can get a 5 on it! I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                        Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                        Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                        Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                        Or does here stand the last remaining man
                        To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                        No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                        Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                        Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
                          At least you can get a 5 on it! I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

Why...You were lucky to have a grave!
                          (oh and by the way, a solid 7 seems to be my favorite score on that hole)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesy View Post
                            they're both on this forum.
                            And clearly so are you!
                            PDGA #25296
                            Stumptown #34

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                            Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X