Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting from Austin, TX

Hi folks:

I will be visiting the Portland area in a week or so. I am from Austin, Texas where we have a big disc golf following. There are some fantastic courses down here.

I am hoping to play a couple courses while I am visiting and was hoping someone could point me to some great courses. I noticed this forum has a specific thread for courses in the Portland area and Northwest Oregon. Any courses in there in particular I should check out?

Looking for something fun and semi challenging with the beautiful Oregon scenery to go along with it.

Thanks!

Originally posted by ATX_thrower View Post
    Any courses in there in particular I should check out?

Looking for something fun and semi challenging with the beautiful Oregon scenery to go along with it.
    I would suggest one or more of these:

1) Milo McIver*: 27 hole course, site of the Beaver State Fling NT stop (minus the 9 additional temporary holes that are added for big events) . 30-60 minutes from Portland depending on what part of town you are coming from and traffic. A couple places to jump in the Clackamas River during or after your round.

2) Pier Park. 18 holes of beautiful, mostly wooded fairways. Can be very busy especially in the evenings and on weekends, for good reason.

3) L.L. Stub Stewart*: 18 rugged, tree lined fairways with a wide assortment of shots and terrain changes plus a few par 4's. Perhaps best to have spotters on at least a few holes if possible. Unlikely to encounter many other golfers.

4) Hornings Hideout**. 3 Different 18 hole courses, small, medium and large.

5) Dabney State Park*. 18 holes. fairly technical, forested holes. Pretty easy to get to from east side of town and also gets moderate to high usage.

Those would get you started. If you post with specific days and times on the meet to play golf thread you'll likely find some people happy to join you. See also the weekly events pages if semi competetive random draw doubles are your thing.

*Oregon State Park requires $5 day pass for parking.
    **private property requires $3 for the day.

Comment

Thanks very much Lund

Comment

It really depends on what part of town you'll be in and how far you want to travel. If you must stay close in: Pier. If you're on the east side: McIver (and Timber) or Dabney. West side: Horning's Hideout.

Map of all local courses: http://www.oregondiscgolf.com/?full_...-122.69&zoom=9
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Whistlers Bend DGC

Originally posted by ATX_thrower View Post
          Hi folks:

I will be visiting the Portland area in a week or so. I am from Austin, Texas where we have a big disc golf following. There are some fantastic courses down here.

I am hoping to play a couple courses while I am visiting and was hoping someone could point me to some great courses. I noticed this forum has a specific thread for courses in the Portland area and Northwest Oregon. Any courses in there in particular I should check out?

Thanks!
          Whistlers Bend (14 miles east of Roseburg, 200 south of PDX), meets the fun, semi challenging (depending on your opinion of challenging), and beautiful Oregon scenery criteria. WB also has great camping/yurts and one of the prettiest rivers in the state with great swimming. It is most definitely worth the trip.
          Here's to Oregon disc golf courses!
          Yoseman
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
            Whistlers Bend (14 miles east of Roseburg, 200 south of PDX), meets the fun, semi challenging (depending on your opinion of challenging), and beautiful Oregon scenery criteria. WB also has great camping/yurts and one of the prettiest rivers in the state with great swimming. It is most definitely worth the trip.
            Yoseman
            Whistler's Bend is disc golf heaven. The location is absolutely magical.
            "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
              Yoseman
              And if you are headed to Whistlers Bend (which you really should be!) you also have all the Mid and Southern Willamtte Valley courses to consider along the way and mostly easily accessible from I5. Let us know if you're coming this way and you'll have even more suggestions and people to meet up with.

Comment

Yes yes, Whistler's Bend is amazing. However, it's also THREE AND A HALF HOURS FROM PORTLAND.

Just thought I should point that out.
                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                  Yes yes, Whistler's Bend is amazing. However, it's also THREE AND A HALF HOURS FROM PORTLAND.

Says the guy who has never played Dexter.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                    Says the guy who has never played Dexter.
                    Exactly. 'Cause it's TWO AND A HALF HOURS FROM PORTLAND.

Actually, I'll be driving right by it again on Thursday... unfortunately, my friend really wants to see Crater Lake, and we're spending the night near Mount Shasta, so there'll be no time for disc golf along the way this time.
                    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

You drive slow, Adam. I can get to Dexter in two hours flat from SW Portland...
                      ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post

speed limits 65+ anything less than 80mph and troopers wont look at ya... so you can make it under 3hrs

well worth it to stay over night and play an Eugene area course or 2 on your way back the next day.

"In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          You drive slow, Adam. I can get to Dexter in two hours flat from SW Portland...
                          From where I live, it takes 15 minutes just to get on the freeway.
                          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

never drive more than 9 mph over speed limit, period...

Jerry Miller DGC @ Camp Taloali open july 20-30... that is the fastest improving course in the area... near salem.

A pier + Trojan trip is as good as a Hornings + Stubb trip.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                            Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X