X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surviving?

Ok, so not totally disc golf related but I wanted be sure everyone saw it so I'm posting here.

I worry about my disc golf brothers and sisters out there. How is everybody doing? We lost power for awhile yesterday and also this morning. I walked the 3 quarters of mile in the snow to 7 eleven for supplies this morning but they were out of power and closed. My son just took off on foot to hike up to Safeway about 2 miles away. We are doing fine but this is getting to be kind of a drag. I'm not used to housebound for so long. I'm connected to our network at work and working from home although not doing a whole lot. Getting paid though! My contract ends Wednesday anyway so unemployment for me for awhile.

We've had nearly a another foot of snow in the last 24 hours and still snowing. Not sure how much we'll have before this all over.

Everybody stay warm and safe through this difficult time. Think quaffer!

Bob

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
    We've had nearly a another foot of snow in the last 24 hours and still snowing. Not sure how much we'll have before this all over.

Bob
    We have an interesting snow lasagna at my house: 6" of powdery snow-3/8" layer of ice-8" of powdery snow-1/4" layer of ice-new powdery snow coming down to beat the band. Makes for fun shoveling.

This quaffer is for you Bob!
    Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
    Remain ye men of faculty complete,
    Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
    Attending to our noble bond and contract?
    Or does here stand the last remaining man
    To give a fig for rules and order yet,
    No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
    Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
    Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Lets just say that I'm glad I was thinking ahead and picked up a half gallon of both rum and peppermint schnapps on Saturday. Mmmm, minty hot chocolate...

I want to go play at Rockwood or Vance but I'm too lazy to go clear my car off.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
        6" of powdery snow-3/8" layer of ice-8" of powdery snow-1/4" layer of ice-new powdery snow coming down to beat the band. Makes for fun shoveling.
        I ran into the same thing trying to dig my car out. Then after getting about 3/4 of the way out of my parking spot I got stuck. After 15 minutes of kicking ice/snow and cursing I was able to get back into my spot about half way.

Then it was time for the hike to Safeway for smokes.

You know it's bad when 90% of the cars passing you are mail carriers.

Stay warm all.

Dave
        Huh...I didn't even see that tree.
        PDGA #37890
        Stumptown #157
        ODW TDG 10-11
        3C&D TDG 09-10

Comment

Yeah it's not much better out here in gresham.We have a 2 feet of snow where I'm at and it just isn't stopping. We have enough supplies to last for awhile and we havent had any power outages,yet. But I am getting really stir crazy and I just want this to end before christmas gets here so we can have a christmas without being snowed in.I wanna think quaffer but sadly I'm not old enough.This is getting REALLY annoying.Hope you all find a way to enjoy it cause I'm not at all.

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
          Ok, so not totally disc golf related but I wanted be sure everyone saw it so I'm posting here.

I worry about my disc golf brothers and sisters out there. How is everybody doing? We lost power for awhile yesterday and also this morning. I walked the 3 quarters of mile in the snow to 7 eleven for supplies this morning but they were out of power and closed. My son just took off on foot to hike up to Safeway about 2 miles away. We are doing fine but this is getting to be kind of a drag. I'm not used to housebound for so long. I'm connected to our network at work and working from home although not doing a whole lot. Getting paid though! My contract ends Wednesday anyway so unemployment for me for awhile.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Grahamcracker77 View Post
            This is getting REALLY annoying.Hope you all find a way to enjoy it cause I'm not at all.
            Finally, someone talking sense. I'm really sick of the chirpy "it's a winter wonderland!" crap.
            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
              Finally, someone talking sense. I'm really sick of the chirpy "it's a winter wonderland!" crap.
              If not for the fact that I've had to cancel plans to spend xmas with my kids and grandkids I'd be enjoying it a lot more. As it is I'm starting to get really bummed out.

Bob

Comment

Curses! I just ran out of milk. Looks like I'm about to have my last hot cocoa...

Comment

Originally posted by jevon View Post
                  Curses! I just ran out of milk. Looks like I'm about to have my last hot cocoa...
                  I just hope you make it through this ok. Godspeed, Jevon.
                  Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

I've been working my ass off every day on weather related emergencies. Trouble today was three snow weight created leaks up the canyon killing my pressure and threatening to slow my faucet drips down slow enough to freeze everything.

This morning, Fletch (who is down for the holidays) was going to town to get me the plumbing parts to fix the stuff in the canyon. He drove his 4WD pickup off the side of the invisible driveway and I had to get out the tractor with the wrong kind of tires and use the winch to pull him out. I then tried to plow some snow and pack down some other. I improved the driveways but got stuck twice and had to pull out all the winch cable to get to a tree to pull myself out. Then Fletch gets back from town with another neighbor whose Jeep got off on the shoulder a mile down the road and got buried.

No way was my tractor going down the hill, as, without tire chains, I'd never get it home. I rode along with 40 feet of chain to advise them youngsters. I wound up chaining up the tires on both rigs and hooking up the tow chain. With that all over at about 3:00, I got to spend the remainder of daylight slogging through two feet of snow to repair three leaks up the canyon. When I came out of the canyon, I got waylaid by the boy again to fix a cracked hot water pipe under the cabin next door. It was time to get my day's wood in and clear the snow from a twenty by twenty two fabric roof. Then all I had left to do was run the mud and air out of my lines so I could get my first shower since before the weather went north.

So far the power has stayed on (knock wood). Provisions are running low but my two cars are just lumps in the snow. Though both have studded snow tires on them, the snow is too deep and they'd only get high-centered. Never had so much fun in the snow.
                    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Wow. Hang in there Bob. Hope you got some IPA up there...
                      Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                      Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                      Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                      Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                      Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Lots o' IPA in the cooler. Got the old red Civic out with snow chains on to go to town to get a money order to pay for six more months of slow dialup, as the bill comes due every year on December 25th. I sledded down the drive on the floorboards but high-centered coming back up and had to have Fletch tow me to the top. None of us have worked ourselves up to the snow round we talk about each day.
                        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                        ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                          I've been working my ass off every day on weather related emergencies. Trouble today was three snow weight created leaks up the canyon killing my pressure and threatening to slow my faucet drips down slow enough to freeze everything.

This morning, Fletch (who is down for the holidays) was going to town to get me the plumbing parts to fix the stuff in the canyon. He drove his 4WD pickup off the side of the invisible driveway and I had to get out the tractor with the wrong kind of tires and use the winch to pull him out. I then tried to plow some snow and pack down some other. I improved the driveways but got stuck twice and had to pull out all the winch cable to get to a tree to pull myself out. Then Fletch gets back from town with another neighbor whose Jeep got off on the shoulder a mile down the road and got buried.

No way was my tractor going down the hill, as, without tire chains, I'd never get it home. I rode along with 40 feet of chain to advise them youngsters. I wound up chaining up the tires on both rigs and hooking up the tow chain. With that all over at about 3:00, I got to spend the remainder of daylight slogging through two feet of snow to repair three leaks up the canyon. When I came out of the canyon, I got waylaid by the boy again to fix a cracked hot water pipe under the cabin next door. It was time to get my day's wood in and clear the snow from a twenty by twenty two fabric roof. Then all I had left to do was run the mud and air out of my lines so I could get my first shower since before the weather went north.

So far the power has stayed on (knock wood). Provisions are running low but my two cars are just lumps in the snow. Though both have studded snow tires on them, the snow is too deep and they'd only get high-centered. Never had so much fun in the snow.
                          Wow, that is almost exactly the kind of thing I imagined you would be doing up there in this weather. Hope you get some time to sit back and sip the IPA and make that snow round happen. Also hope it melts off soon.

Comment

I dug my car out yesterday and was able to finally get out to the grocery store and to finish my xmas shopping. I'm paying for it today however. My back, neck and shoulders sore as hell. The neck and shoulder thing though is still the result of the fall I took last week.

I've had to cancel my plans to go to the coast and have xmas morning with all of my kids and grandkids so this whole dreaming of a white Christmas thing is highly over rated.

Stay safe up there at the Mudd Bob and to all have a good and safe Holiday.

Bob

Comment

Does anyone know if we're reaching a point where we should start worrying about our roofs? There's already almost two inches of water sitting up there...
                              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X