Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tour Updates

http://talkdiscgolf.com/talk/blog/20...-2011-updates/

Hey Y'all

Here is some updates on my experiences on the road. Feel free to give me ideas about what you'd like to read about. Its tough to come up with things to write about sometimes, so it becomes just tourney recap. Is there anything you guys want me to write about? Life on the road? Instructional DG articles? Ideas people, ideas!
    Team DISCRAFT
    NW Sign Up
    Gorilla Boy
    Paragon Disc Golf
    Odwalla

Why is it that there are days when either putting is good, or driving is good, but not both together? All of us have had these days. I have my theory and have been working to even out the balance. Especially when I feel myself sliding to one side or the other. I would like to hear what you think causes this in some players. How can you break out of it?. The strokes are different but are both equal parts to a bad, good, or great round. Can we really seperate them as two different parts of a round if we want to play great golf? What is it that either brings them together or pushes them apart in a round or a tourney. I have had very long discussions about this and could go on for way too long with the questions that have come up from this one idea. What do you think?
    Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

What are the people you meet like? Local lingo? DG terminology?

Comment

the upshot

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
        Why is it that there are days when either putting is good, or driving is good, but not both together? All of us have had these days. I have my theory and have been working to even out the balance. Especially when I feel myself sliding to one side or the other. I would like to hear what you think causes this in some players. How can you break out of it?. The strokes are different but are both equal parts to a bad, good, or great round. Can we really seperate them as two different parts of a round if we want to play great golf? What is it that either brings them together or pushes them apart in a round or a tourney. I have had very long discussions about this and could go on for way too long with the questions that have come up from this one idea. What do you think?
        I think there is a third element you have to consider in this--the upshot.

Yes, the objective is to have a good drive so that you can leave yourself a good putt; hence, the dichotomy-- and the need for balance. But the upshot is the reason the vast majority of holes are par 3. Because often times even the best drives can leave the wise player with the need for an upshot and easy par, rather than taking a chance on a long run at a deuce that could lead to a long putt back and a possible bogey. The upshot isn't the drive or the putt, but you must learn it. I've spent many an hour on the fields practicing drives and I have a basket in my front yard, but there's no good way to practice your upshot--it has to come from experience. It's the shot that's made in the field, in the rough, in the trees...it can be anywhere on a hole you've played a million times, yet it is still a path to the basket you've never shot before. It can require finesse or force, and often times requires both. No matter how prepared you are when you come to a course, it is the shot that will suddenly have you reaching deep into your bag of tricks and still coming up dry. The upshot is damage control. The upshot is grace. The upshot is where the game is made or broken throughout the entire course.

You may have a good drive, and you may have a good putt, and you may be able to find a balance between the two, but the real question is:

...how good is your upshot?
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

i would like to hear some "mvp disc" stories where there was that one disc that stood out for you that weekend and why that disc got the MVP kind of stories... something along that line...

Comment

I'd like to know about things that happen off the tour or while en route to other events. I'd like to see things involving the players you associate with. What you guys do when not hucking incredible distances.
            "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
            Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
              Well said,agreed,well done,I really enjoyed reading that.
              PDGA # 31451
              2 Mini Aces
              74 Aces
              PEOPLE WHO HELP ME LOTS IN DISC GOLF
              DISC GOLF OR DIE
              BOB CABAL
              DISCVANGO
              JEFF ELLIOT
              G-MAN
              JORDAN LEWIS
              JEFF HAGERTY
              JAMES GARCELON
              SAM GIBSON

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Comment

Dion Wins Disc 'n Date Bluegrass Open *A-Tier*

Huge congrats on the victory!
                -Results-
                -Devin Cordell #38801

Comment

Wow, and beat 6 other 1000-rated players in the process - CONGRATS, Dion!
                  Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                  Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                  Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                  Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                  Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Well done "Whip" Congrats
                    "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

sick win!

Comment

Thanks y'all! First A tier win for me

We played 90 holes for the weekend, grueling golf, about 7 hours on day one and 9 hours on day two. Quick highlight: Deuced the second to last hole (570') to go up three over Avery and to seal the victory!
                        Team DISCRAFT
                        NW Sign Up
                        Gorilla Boy
                        Paragon Disc Golf
                        Odwalla

Comment

I like the facial hair as well. That's probably helping a lot. Nobody can keep a straight face while putting.

Comment

haha, not this time around. pretty clean cut this weeknd.
                            Team DISCRAFT
                            NW Sign Up
                            Gorilla Boy
                            Paragon Disc Golf
                            Odwalla

Comment

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
                              http://talkdiscgolf.com/talk/blog/20...-2011-updates/

Hey Y'all

Here is some updates on my experiences on the road. Feel free to give me ideas about what you'd like to read about. Its tough to come up with things to write about sometimes, so it becomes just tourney recap. Is there anything you guys want me to write about? Life on the road? Instructional DG articles? Ideas people, ideas!

I think it would be interesting to read about what factors you consider in choosing the events you play. I'm sure you basically want to take aim at the biggest payouts with the smallest amount of travel, but is there anything else you consider? Stacked field vs. not, course type, influence from sponsors, friends playing the tournament, etc.

Also, exactly how many Hostess doughnuts have you had on the road so far? Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X