X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
    I guess I dream of a world where generosity wins out against selfishness. Wherever we stand, economically, this simple choice is what either enables, or eliminates, freedom. Telling those who could not pay that they must, or those who can pay, telling those who can't, "get out of my way," comes to the basic truth about what freedom really is. The ideology of compelling generosity has failed. Institutional selfishness is having its day now. We are seeing how that works in places like Libya and Syria, while it boils below the surface here. We must eventually be honest enough with ourselves to make the right choices as a culture. Can we find that enlightened self interest?

Anyway, something to think about.
    That would indeed be a fine world to live in. Though on the flip side, isn't it selfish of disc golfers to expect for everything to be free? Especially when it comes to private property. If we're talking about utopias, I would love for there to be enough courses to meet the growing demand, free of charge for everyone. But, that's obviously not going to happen. So, not being able to build my own ideal of a course, I'm happy to contribute to those who can. BTW, the fees for pay-to-play courses I've seen have been to the tune of $2-5 a day/$25-60 a year--hardly prohibitive costs, even in the realm of penny pinching disc golfers.
    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

I think that pay to play is a good idea if it's executed correctly. There are a few courses in the area that I would pay a membership fee for the right to play whenever the hell I desired. For instance, if disc golfers were given more leeway at Corbin Park to where it was all on disc golfers to maintain and protect the park so Post Falls didn't dump any money into it, I'd pay for a 100 dollar yearly pass. I already have my Farragut State Park year pass so they won't get anymore money from me. If Gordy reads this, Four Mounds could benefit from this possibly. It'd have to be open Saturday and Sunday for this to be a reality.

There are definitely more courses that I'd NEVER pay to play than ones I'd pay for however.
      Last edited by General Scales; May 12th, 2011, 10:26 AM. Reason: Because it was necessary.
      "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
      Cleveland Brown

Comment

I guess I dream of a world where generosity wins out against selfishness. Wherever we stand, economically, this simple choice is what either enables, or eliminates, freedom. Telling those who could not pay that they must, or those who can pay, telling those who can't, "get out of my way," comes to the basic truth about what freedom really is. The ideology of compelling generosity has failed. Institutional selfishness is having its day now. We are seeing how that works in places like Libya and Syria, while it boils below the surface here. We must eventually be honest enough with ourselves to make the right choices as a culture. Can we find that enlightened self interest?
        Q
        Anyway, something to think about.
        This would be a wonderful world to live in. Bob as I do agree with you on your well worded statement I do not think it pertains to what we are talking about. To even compare it to what's going on in the middle east is absurd. In a pay to play scenario they would be a great opportunity for those who cannot afford it to work on the course for the privilege of playing at said course. I already spend lots of my time and money working on my home course.

A
        Last edited by Scott; May 12th, 2011, 01:50 PM.

Comment

I'm dropping $18K (over one and a half times my annual income) for a new tractor today or tomorrow to keep free golf (don't forget the tip jar) at Club Mud. I guess that says where I stand on the subject. And yeah, I work for my golf. So it's a little bit rustic here.

Disc golf: long may is stay small and free!

Will we look back years from now at the good old days?
          I really don't know how to respond to your generosity, it is a little mind numbing. I have often pondered owning a parcel of land that would house a disc golf course or two, but pay-to-play was always in my mind. I will say that it would mainly be because that would be my job and things don't fix themselves and bills don't disappear because you are an honest hard working person. I salute you for being so generous and I look forward to being able to play at Club Mud (and I will make sure the tip jar is fed)

Comment

Will we look back years from now at the good old days?
            Nope. The good ol' days were the ones before baskets.
            "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

Originally posted by The Ombudsman View Post
              The good ol' days were the ones before baskets.
              The discs were too understable.
              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Isn't every state park course essentially pay-to-play?

Comment

Originally posted by mine all mine View Post
                  I really don't know how to respond...
                  Hey, I'm an odd bird for sure. I have a little pension and can live within my means (barring the unforeseen poolpaw). I have been given a lot by a few who have appreciated my dedication to the idea of service. I gave up on seeking the conversion of material and effort into the tokens of the empire. We lose the substance in the quest for the $ymbol. Quality is traded for quantification. I have known a couple of exceedingly generous people and was influenced by the experience. In all this, I find I could not share a living space, and the thought of living in a city would make me hide out in the wilderness, if it came to that. The Sioux had words for gold that meant, "the yellow metal that makes the white man crazy."

No response is necessary. I'm used to being dismissed as the madman I am. I feel like I somehow got off on the wrong planet.

Comment

BTW, that tip jar of ours gets treated pretty nicely by a lot of us. I'd call that freedom. You do what you want about it. We can act at that level to which we have risen or fallen. That part of the universe stays in its order. No judgment.

Comment

I'm used to being dismissed as the madman I am. I feel like I somehow got off on the wrong planet.
                      Remember every great idea started out as heresy and keep the digressions flowing.

I like 'em.

Comment

The discs were too understable.
                        You should have tried adding more Hyzer
                        "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

I was one of those quick draw, shoot from the hip, type shots. I came Laredo with them Whamos. Now I throw the least stable stuff out there, and I might even annie that.

============

And thanks, Jim J.

Comment

Pay to play does not have to be expensive or complicated- just well-planned.

I don't see any easier way than pay to park- it also encourages carpooling. Yes, this won't work for many courses in urban areas but NO SYSTEM WILL WORK FOR EVERY PARK. Each course needs to identify the resources needed to maintain the course and then see what options are available. North Park, my humble and humbling little home course is all player maintained. I've talked to the parks guys and they say they don't even go into the course because they don't want to mess anything up (seriously awesome) and for the most part, it is a clean and enjoyable course. This is not a good example for many other courses because North Park would literally fit into the first 3 holes of Seatac but there is no way to charge at North Park but the needs are met by locals. We need some new teepads desperately and I think I'll just pay for the first one myself and then organize a work party to put it in. Is that fair- that others will benefit from my time and money with no consideration? I don't care. Mike W. will come out early in the morning and spend two hours picking up random stuff under bushes and things thrown/blown from the road above. Why? Because he sees it needs to be done and so he does it. Does not care about compensation or appreciation, he does it for the course.

Pay to play is the future. Investing in a course- with time or money- creates a personal connection and reduces the tragedy of the commons.
                            Rather random but so am I.
                            Cheers,
                            Bro
                            Last edited by The Course Bro; May 13th, 2011, 07:34 AM. Reason: missed words
                            What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

Comment

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
                              I totally agree with this! i remember watching a Clash DVD that was at a course called Valarta Ast. i think it was in wisconsin, i remember them saying that it is a public park but has a fee to play the course of like $4 or something like that. they collect with a small box by the start of the course. they went on to say that the disc golf course raised somewhere around $40,000 dollars in one year from just the $4 dollar fee that was implemented. and in turn the $40,000 was FAR more than what was required to fund the entire park (not just the course) for the year.

i fully support pay to play courses.

Agreed! I have always been on board with this. Pay to play is the next logical step in our sport.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X