Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay-to-play (was: Disc Golf Controversy in local paper)

This may lead into the need to charge to play local courses. That might change how often and how many people play as well as raise money so volunteers and local clubs can afford to do the necessary repairs to our courses. I know pay to play is a touchy subject, but how many sports can you play without paying money to use the proper facilities?

Originally posted by mine all mine View Post
    I know pay to play is a touchy subject, but how many sports can you play without paying money to use the proper facilities?
    Tennis
    Soccer
    Softball
    Baseball
    Basketball
    Ultimate

Tennis is the best example, as the facilities are quite specialized (and not cheap), and yet they're everywhere.

The biggest problem with pay-to-play in any sport, I think, is not the players' attitudes nor a lack of will... it's simply logistical. How do you collect the money and enforce it? So the only sports that are pay-to-play are those that charge enough money to hire staff (ball golf) or those that are indoors and therefore controllable (bowling, swimming, racquetball).
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
      Tennis
      Soccer
      Softball
      Baseball
      Basketball
      Ultimate

Tennis is the best example, as the facilities are quite specialized (and not cheap), and they're everywhere.
      Tennis is not free where I come from, nor are the softball fields. You can get a good pickup game of basketball at the outside courts, but there are no nets and if its raining you don't play. All the indoor facilities cost money (YMCA), and you can play soccer, but you will be asked to leave if someone has the space reserved for practice or a real game. So, I would have to say I don't agree with any of what you think are free sports, and I did say using the "Proper Facilities".

Comment

Tennis
        Soccer
        Softball
        Baseball
        Basketball
        Ultimate

Tennis is the best example, as the facilities are quite specialized (and not cheap), and yet they're everywhere.
        Where are you playing these sports? Sure Most of these sports can be played for free but if you want to play on a quality court/field or you need to reserve the field for your team then you need to pay to play. Tennis in Vancouver is best played at the Vancouver Tennis Center. Little leagues and soccer leagues all pay fees to rent or maintain their fields, etc.

Personally, I think the easiest way to generate some revenue is to charge for parking.

Comment

Tennis is free in most places. It certainly is in Portland (except at the indoor tennis centers).

There are also a few covered outdoor basketball courts for free wet-season use.
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Wog View Post
            Where are you playing these sports? Sure Most of these sports can be played for free but if you want to play on a quality court/field or you need to reserve the field for your team then you need to pay to play. Tennis in Vancouver is best played at the Vancouver Tennis Center. Little leagues and soccer leagues all pay fees to rent or maintain their fields, etc.
            My thoughts exactly

Comment

Originally posted by Wog View Post
              Where are you playing these sports? Sure Most of these sports can be played for free but if you want to play on a quality court/field or you need to reserve the field for your team then you need to pay to play.
              Softball, baseball, and soccer fields in parks are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Obviously if a league or private party is using the field, that's a different story -- but if you call, the city can tell you when it's reserved and when it isn't.

EDIT: Sounds like maybe we've got it pretty good down here in Portland, with free tennis courts and soccer fields in every neighborhood. God bless property taxes.
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Tennis is free in most places. It certainly is in Portland (except at the indoor tennis centers).

There are also a few covered outdoor basketball courts for free wet-season use.
                I wish I lived in Portland. I work at the University of Washington and I have to pay to use their tennis courts

Comment

Over It...so last week

Comment

I like the idea of a pay to play disc golf course. It would be a good way to raise funds for maitaince and upgrades. It would probably also help get ride of the type of golfer that walks around the course littering, vandalizing pads, baskets, signs, trees, and so on.

Comment

I don't mind pay to play either, as a concept but as Adam points out, once you dig a bit deeper, like many things, it becomes complicated to develop a system everyone would be happy with...

The biggest problem with pay-to-play in any sport, I think, is not the players' attitudes nor a lack of will... it's simply logistical. How do you collect the money and enforce it? So the only sports that are pay-to-play are those that charge enough money to hire staff (ball golf) or those that are indoors and therefore controllable (bowling, swimming, racquetball).
                      Also, not sure where everyone else is but there are free super high quality tennis courts (as well as poor quality ones!) ALL OVER Seattle! Soccer fields, baseball, even a petanque tract that are all free. As a UW employee I used the awesome outdoor courts pretty frequently last year for free. Thinking about it, we should play sometime Ray!
                      'Weekend 4 Women':
                      Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                      Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

God bless property taxes.
                        Pay to play.
                        Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Why would I want to pay to play a sport that I have been playing for free for 35 years?
                          "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

Originally posted by the flogging putter View Post
                            I like the idea of a pay to play disc golf course. It would be a good way to raise funds for maitaince and upgrades. It would probably also help get ride of the type of golfer that walks around the course littering, vandalizing pads, baskets, signs, trees, and so on.
                            I totally agree with this! i remember watching a Clash DVD that was at a course called Valarta Ast. i think it was in wisconsin, i remember them saying that it is a public park but has a fee to play the course of like $4 or something like that. they collect with a small box by the start of the course. they went on to say that the disc golf course raised somewhere around $40,000 dollars in one year from just the $4 dollar fee that was implemented. and in turn the $40,000 was FAR more than what was required to fund the entire park (not just the course) for the year.

i fully support pay to play courses.
                            Team HOSER:dancing:
                            Team OLY:cheerleader:
                            Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

How about work to play?
                              "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X