Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leverich Park Disc Golf Controversy in local paper

Disc Golf Discourse
    Backers, foes air views on effects of activity at Leverich Park

I'm attaching a copy of an article that ran in The Columbian today. Please read it and consider posting an intelligent comment on The Columbian's web site.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2011/may/10/disc-golf

You can also e-mail the city manager at eric.holmes@cityofvancouver.us

Beginning of article:
    The disc golf course in Vancouver's Leverich Park has proved popular since opening more than two years ago. The 12-hole course has easy access from Interstate 5-the entrance to the park is just off the 39th Street exit- and players rate it as challenging, two contributing factors to the course's popularity.

When the course was installed, it was not only away for the Vancouver-Clark Parks. & Recreation Department to make room for the game in the parks system, but it was also a way to try to turn Leverich Park, a hangout for the homeless, into something more family-friendly.

That doesn't mean everyone who uses the park loves the disc golfers. Marvin Calhoun, who moved to Vancouver from Oregon after he retired three years ago so he could enjoy a "slower pace" and lower taxes, has contacted the parks department and Vancouver City Manager Eric Holmes about the disc golfers.

"I have watched this once-beautiful park deteriorate over the last two years as the disc golfers have swarmed it like locusts,"Calhoun wrote in an email to
    The Columbian. Calhoun has taken dozens of photographs to illustrate damage to grass or the banks of Burnt Bridge Creek.

...See attached pdf for full article

My response:

I completely understand Mr. Calhoun's complaints, and I agree that we ALL should be vigilant to help maintain a healthy park. With that said, I strongly believe disc golf has cleaned up Leverich Park. The first time I went to Leverich Park there was (more or less) a homeless camp over by Hole #4. There were also multiple instances of human excrement laying the bases of trees in the area due to the "campers" backing up to any old tree and relieving themselves.

Is this what Mr. Calhoun wants Leverich Park to return to? Or does he, perhaps, simply like it now that the disc golf traffic has cleaned up the park.

It sounds to me like Mr. Calhoun and Steve Carson should start a little dialog, before this blows up into something where hundreds might suffer for the wants of one.

Jeff Hagerty

PS: Yep, I pushed Carson under the bus!

Originally posted by Wog View Post
    Disc Golf Discourse
    Backers, foes air views on effects of activity at Leverich Park

I'm attaching a copy of an article that ran in The Columbian today. Please read it and consider posting an intelligent comment on The Columbian's web site.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2011/may/10/disc-golf

You can also e-mail the city manager at eric.holmes@cityofvancouver.us

Beginning of article:
    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

As an aside... Damn, I wish we could get people to comment using names a little more appropriate than "HughJass". I don't care how brilliant your response is... with a name like that... NO ONE will take you seriously.
      "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I sent a quick email to the city manager telling him of my positive experiences at Leverich.

Tracy Wolcott

Comment

Park usage

This also demonstrates the popularity of the sport. I have heard rumors of additional courses in the area. Larger, additional dedicated areas for the sport would reduce the impact on just one park.

Comment

Just posted a response and sent Eric an email too.
            PDGA# 49616
            Stumptown# 353
            OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

Vancouver definitely needs more courses.
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Total misinformation. Leverich is NOT challenging.
                ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  Yeah, I was gonna say... it's mostly popular because it's one of the only courses that doesn't require at least a half-hour drive for most people. Location, location, location.
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

There was an article in the salem paper about vandalism at woodmansee, which is next to a middle school, last week that spewed out ignorance from the reporter, even after an interview with the course greenkeeper... At our club meeting last night, I told them they need to be just a whole lot more vigilant in cleaning up the vandalism and taking ownership over the course to change the general perspecitive of disc golfers as a whole... sucks to do it but if a group of people are cleaning up more often, the view gets changed that much quicker...

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                      I was getting the idea they'd stiffened it up since I was there. I may get another shot at it soon. My annual checkup is coming up soon and is at the next I-5 exit. I'll be going on to Pier after that, if it's not too much like this spring has been so far. I have Lund showing up here in about an hour and its been absolute nasty out there.

Durn it! Am I digressing again?
                      Last edited by Ol' Bob; May 11th, 2011, 03:53 PM.
                      The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                      ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Pointing fingers instead of raising hands

I'm sad that they started with the negatives instead of the positives of disc golf. By waiting to discuss all the good done by our sport until the "back page" they definitely made this a bigger controversy than it had to be.

The idea that the sport outgrew the park so fast is one that I hope gets hammered home; a lot of the 9 and 12 hole courses are starting to feel that way and we certainly need more courses to meet demand. Portland/Vancouver has soooo many courses and they are still crowded; that's a good thing and I hope the city/county/state/national/transnational/international/intergalactic people in charge pay more attention to that.
                        FORE! Youth 2011 http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournam...RE_Youth_2011/

Comment

I'm very happy with the article other than the last sentence. I wish the reporter would have put in one other quote she shared with me. She asked her husband who runs through the park on a regular basis what he thought of disc golf in the park. His response, "I wouldn't be running in the park if it wasn't for the disc golfers".

Comment

yeah yeah...it was well written article. But why was it written to begin with? One guy complains and that's good for a half page article? That's just stupid!

What if I had written and complained about the kids crawling all over the playground equipment making too much noise...do I get an article in the paper too?

In this case I don't blame the one angry dude making disc golf look bad. I blame the paper for making a NON issue into something it's not! Everyone has an opinion...that doesn't make it a news worthy article!

Comment

Originally posted by Altophish View Post
                              yeah yeah...it was well written article. But why was it written to begin with?
                              Stephanie the reporter started her interview with me saying something to the tune that every week in the "Neighborhood section" they like to highlight a controversy that affects a neighborhood. I thought that was kind of funny that basically they are manufacturing a conflict for the sake of selling newspapers. It is the neighborhood section after all and someday with more hard hitting articles like this maybe the reporter will move up and eventually write for a real section of the paper.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X