Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do YOU shake the putt yips?

any ideas?
    Putting......heh...EASIEST THING IN THE WORLD!

Stop thinking start doing. When I start to miss putts and not have good feel I stop feeling and start throwing. Doesn't matter how I release or what angle the disc is at or... all that matters is that I throw the disc at the basket. In short, just throw the disc in the basket.
    Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

I should add that once I make a couple then I start to feel what I am doing right. Feeling while and what you are doing wrong only makes you focus on what you are doing wrong. Do it right and analize that feel.
      Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Don't think! Most of the time when you are having these problems your mind is getting in the way. Don't think about it just do it.
        Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Lately I have just been telling myself "you know how to do this, make it happen." I putt against trees a lot when I am waiting to play or off course since I don't have a basket, so pretending the basket is a knot in a tree helps, too . It works incredibly well, when I actually think to do it. Takes a lot of putting practice and consistency in your throw to make yourself really believe it, though. From 40+ feet it is difficult for me still. Also, relaxing is the most important thing to do to build muscle memory. Good putts come without stress or anxiety. In a perfect world, that is.

Comment

Don't think so much as pay attention. Be a witness to what's going on. If it's mind, or form, or both, that's making me miss, I will need to know in order to work out of it.

From 40+ feet it is difficult for me still.
            My mind isn't as much of an issue on those as my luck.
            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

picture the disc hitting the chain link you are aiming at. Don't picture or even think about missing. Relax, take a breath, make the putt.

Then walk over, mark your disc, and make the next one.

Comment

It has helped me in the past when I was on a bad putting streak(read here---no confidence) to come up to the next putt, line it up , close your eyes, putt the disc. It may just amaze you. Then again it may not. Putting is ALL about confidence and absence of thought while putting.

Comment

Best advice I got was to take multiple deep breaths while going through your pre-putt routine. Focus your mind and release that last breathe, then fire your putt! Step up with confidence every time, if you think you'll miss...well, then you might as well throw it at the base of the basket.

Comment

I've certainly had my bouts with the yips. Know that it can be gotten over.

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions, NWDiscer sent me a text about closing your eyes while you putt. I do believe that putting is feeling it, because like most people when you feel it everything inside 50' is going in, but losing sight of that makes a 5' footer a tester. I started this thread to bring awareness to this mental block that might help all of us. Now to the backyard to put the work in.
                      Putting......heh...EASIEST THING IN THE WORLD!

Comment

Put with your driver

Then after you see how easy that is you're golden...

Add a new step to your pre-put routine... take an extra breath, do a free toss without the disc in hand... something...anything to make you think about something besides putting.
                        FORE! Youth 2011 http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournam...RE_Youth_2011/

Comment

Originally posted by Rakoz View Post
                          ...something...anything to make you think about something besides putting.
                          ...or monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Huk'nGeiks View Post
                            Best advice I got was to take multiple deep breaths while going through your pre-putt routine. Focus your mind and release that last breathe, then fire your putt! Step up with confidence every time, if you think you'll miss...well, then you might as well throw it at the base of the basket.
                            PRE PUTT ROUTINE! Figure one out and practice it! When you are first putting its ok to throw a few in quicky. Once you start to feel your stroke sloe down. tak2 putters and use a routine that you use every time. That way if your putting to win or there are people watching you can be nervous, but when you go into that routine you knwo what comes next, you just make the putt.
                            Relax and enjoy your hair
                            TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Change your putter until the screw ups go away, then switch back.
                              We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X