Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about the best of both worlds... Glow discs attached with UV LED lights!
    FORE! Youth 2011 http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournam...RE_Youth_2011/

Comment

Originally posted by 00-WING-NUT View Post
      I'd like to see a video, maybee a brief how-to on how you made them too. Can we get some day shots with the lights off?
      Sorry, no vid...but some day shots and a run-down of how each one is made can be done...

This is the first one I put together and it is still the best. Not one that would be easy to replicate since its construction was sort of kismet. I salvaged the parts from a broken R/C helicopter that had two blinking "eyes" on the front. I removed all of the unnecessary components from the little circuit board, leaving just enough to run the charging circuit for the battery, and blink the LEDs. I even cut off most of the board since this part of the circuit, plus the switch and charging port, were all at the same end. I then un-soldered one of the LEDs, extended its leads with about an inch of wire, and moved it to the opposite corner of the little rig for balance. Then the whole thing is completely sealed to the disc with a special type of polyurethane RTV called Cemdine Super-X. Completely waterproof--proven by it rolling down from the #3 pin and into the river during a night round. --kept on blinking in about a foot of water while I looked around for a stick . fully charges in about 10min and one charge is good for 4.5 night rounds, continuously on for 4hrs at a time, with weeks of down time in between.

...here's a close up of the switch, charge port and one LED.

Now, here's one that can be replicated, but I strongly recommend getting access to a dremel with a flex shaft. I took a close shot to show that these holes are not made with a drill bit, but with a tapered aluminum oxide stone bit. The lights are made by Thill and can be found in any decent tackle shop. Be sure that your holes are 120degrees apart for balance.:wink: The best price I've found on these lights so far is about $3 and they only last for about 8-10hrs of continuous use, but can be easily turned on and off, so you can just light them up for whatever hole you use the disc on.

Both the Stalker and the Buzzz SS are constructed in the same manner and is not a method that is easily replicated -- nor recommended for the faint of flip as these are max weight monsters (Unless you start with a 150 class). These are 12V flexible LED strips that I found in the auto accessory aisle at Freddy's. I constructed a shockproof/waterproof battery housing for an A23 battery by cutting off the top 40% of a MiniMaglite and gluing in a new end that was salvaged from a different cheap-o AAA flashlight. I'm using the same Cemdine RTV to anchor everything to the disc. Polyurethane rubber is the best thing to use to stick anything to any disc. Silicone is a no-no. Most off-the-shelf silicone won't adhere to champ and Z type plastics. These have no switch, just pop in the battery, screw on the cap and drop it in the bag next to the glow Warlock for the most awesome glow pattern. One battery ($1.83) lasts for about 12hrs of continuous use.

As with all design projects, there are foibles...mutants...Rube Goldberg mock-ups that should have stayed on the drawing board, but get somehow breathed to life only to be regarded with a hairy eyeball and an upturned lip. This is one. It's a disc that was set up with holes for the Thill lights, but it accidentally stumbled into a gamma radiation chamber and came out looking like this. The LEDs are from a flashlight and are super bright. the "brain" is a mutated little magnetic LED button light. I removed the little blue SMT LED from the board, flipped it over, wired three white LEDs to it through the cap, stacked two CR2302 button cells inside and zip-tied it shut. That little metal disc is a 2g mass that I added to balance the whole mess. It's ugly, unreliable, waaay too friggin' bright, a supreme bitch to change the batteries and makes this particular disc more stable than I would like it to be.
      Last edited by Burge; June 3rd, 2011, 11:48 PM. Reason: damn spellin'
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by psychodwarf View Post
        after a 30 day vacation
        bruised bones in your ankle is not a vacation

I have learned two things so far though...

1) You just can't putt while sitting down--doesn't work

2) The little maroon electric shopping carts are faster than the big gray ones better in the corners too
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Thanks for the pics and write up. Good stuff.

Comment

Hey Joe..check this out:

9-hole course at the electric forest festival

Comment

I play with Cov45 and agree the 1.5" breakable are the easiest to deal with. As far as the LED in my opinion they verge on light pollution . In the dark of night less is more. We newbies showing up with flashlights and headlamps and all they end up is doing is blinding everyone else.

Comment

Get a Red 3MM LED with a CR2025 battery for .50 when you buy bulk from digikey.com. This is a great deal and my favorite way of lighting up my disc. It gets spendy buying cr2025 from the dollar store or radio shack. This and some good packing tape and you are in business, light and bright.
                Last edited by The Brodys; June 7th, 2011, 05:33 PM. Reason: i'm dum

Comment

Originally posted by The Brodys View Post
                  Get a Red 3MM LED with a CR2025 battery for .50 when you buy bulk from digikey.com. This is a great deal and my favorite way of lighten up my disc. It gets spendy buying cr2025 from the dollar store or radio shack. This and some good packing tape and you are in business, light and bright.
                  How many is bulk?

Comment

I'll stick to my old Photon discs, they glow a whole round, weight and flight stay the same...but very creative...
                    educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      How many is bulk?
                      They are exactly .50 if you order individually. The lights are .20each and the break starts at 100 and goes to .16each. Batteries start at .30each, drop to .27each at 10, .24each at 50, and .21each at 100

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                      Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X