X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED HELP:DG offered as after school program

My daughter's elementary school is offering frisbee golf as one of their after school programs for the first time. I don't know how, nor who came up with it, but I went to their first class yesterday just to observe, but my interest in supporting this class had me nearly instruct the entire class. The teacher had no idea what it was about, my first request was to change the class from frisbee golf to disc golf, then from there, went on to use their pvc pipe netted hoops held in place by construction cones, which didn't do the game any justice, they just kept falling over every time a disc hit them.

I began to go over the basics with the kids, then realized their discs were actually just frisbees, no better than tin pie dishes, it was just sad. So it seemed useless to go over the various types of discs if this is all they're going to have to use. They're doing this class on a trial by error basis, if they get enough kids interested in signing up and actually sticking with it, they will look into investing money into it more possibly next year.

I went over the basics and challenged the kids from various spots, but the class was being played on a concrete courtyard, again, I explained to the teacher it would be better to play on the grass and have natural elements obstruct and challenge the children as the classes progress, but for now, the basics are all we need to focus on. I will donate a few discs of my own, but don't know where else to turn, I've attempted to make contact with a disc shop, but didn't get a response. I've requested the teacher to obtain some form of documentation that I can present to another shop, so they can write off a possible donation for tax purposes. Are there any others willing to donate discs they no longer use?

I would also like ideas what I can do with the limited goals, they're unstable, I'm thinking of just playing object disc golf with them, but I know some of you might have some suggestions or comments that I'd appreciate.

Thank you all for your time and feedback.

Craig Covington
    ccovington4169@aol.com

Innova is sponsoring a grant program right now, they are willing to donate $500 dollars in equipment to good programs. Look into it, sadly I think they are awarding grants in June, not the best timing for this year's after school program...I will post more info later, when I am not getting ready for work. =)
    When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

http://www.pdga.com/innovation-grant
      When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

The SPSDGA (Team Oly) is working with Gateway Discs to outfit two different park/ school programs we are working on. We are getting custom stamped 130g +/- discs for about $3.00 each. Its not free, but for about $100 you can get 30 light weight discs. I would recomend talking to the Pierce County Disc Golf Players Association and the West Sound Club about donating cash or plastic to your cause. Both of these clubs are about promoting golf.
        A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

This is what i do...

FORE! Youth is my own brainchild and I'm in my second year of tying disc golf to schools. On June 18th we're raising funds for the EDGE curriculum (which comes with discs and baskets)to go into my school with remaining funds going towards course improvements at Lunchtime: http://www.discgolfscene.com/clubs/FORE_Youth/

If interest continues I'm going to try to get this thing going in a lot of schools. Figure out who is in charge of this and have them get ahold of me. I'd gladly run an event to raise money for their program! This is the kind of thing this community can really really get behind and I'm glad I'm not the only one pushing it!

Seriously, have them call me as soon as possible. It's not too late to plan a late summer/early fall event for them.
          FORE! Youth 2011 http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournam...RE_Youth_2011/

Comment

Thanks Justin. You too Chris, I believe we met at Yauger Bomb, loved the course design! I'm definitely gonna push for that deal with the Gateway discs. Kyle can you send me your phone number, then I'll pass it on, does it matter that we're located in Tacoma?
            ccovington4169@aol.com

Comment

Just so you guys know, Jay "Yeti" Reading the brainchild behind the EDGE program will be in town for the Beaver State Fling. Come out and talk to him!

Bob

Comment

What school is this in tacoma? This sounds very interesting.
                WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE A SPIDER BITE.

Comment

Chief Leschi - they have elementary, jr high and high school all at the same location. This is an old picture, the school is now surrounded with grass.

ccovington4169@aol.com

Comment

Nicely shaped school yard for a conversation about discs.

Always good to start the young kids out throwing discs, and as pointed out there are great resources for kid-friendly plastic and curriculum. These fellows do a more general disc instructional program: http://www.motodom.com/

It would be great for schools like this to install a nice little course and teach kids the game. Adding in some Ultimate would be another great disc sport to capitalize on the same basic skills.

If there's a functional club in the area, you might be able to get some funding to help seed disc sports in the schools. Providing matching funds, for example, to help interested schools purchase supplies would be great PR and a perfect use of club resources.

Joe
                    Joe Wander
                    Producer and Editor
                    Disc Golf Live video magazine
                    www.discgolflive.com
                    Bringing DG to TV, one community at a time

Comment

Looks like they have the room

Tacoma is out of my network of influence but not un-doable. I emailed you my # and could still give it a try.

Comment

OMG, it's an alien school circle!

...or a hoax done one night by a couple of drunk Irishmen.
                        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                        ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Any suggestions for the kids class? Limited space, we're not able to teach them to throw drives, just been working in a designated area, but they seem to be getting bored with putting. Taught soft sidearm, tomahawk and rollers, of course backhand also.
                          ccovington4169@aol.com

Comment

Originally posted by COV45 View Post
                            Any suggestions for the kids class? Limited space, we're not able to teach them to throw drives, just been working in a designated area, but they seem to be getting bored with putting. Taught soft sidearm, tomahawk and rollers, of course backhand also.
                            Have them practice their drives by throwing into a soccer or lacrosse goal.
                            "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

Originally posted by The Ombudsman View Post
                              Have them practice their drives by throwing into a soccer or lacrosse goal.
                              make it a team competition of some sort. Find a target and each team has 1-2 throws from each distance. They have to use at least one of each type of throw and they can choose which of their team members throws from where and which special throw.

They could also play "ultimate" on a short field and have them use a softer putter to learn more control (Vibram Summit was really nice when I did this).

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X