X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toughest field and payout ever

With the Beaver State Fling quickly approaching I find myself at number 6 on the waiting list. As I look at the list of golfers it is pretty clear that I am going to have to play my best to cash this year. If I hit last cash than maybe I'll make $40,000 like they do in golf..
    http://www.pdga.com/beaver-state-fli...ing-it-forward
    Happy that Professional disc golfers aren't getting a fat payout like real golfers. That would be a waste..
    If Disc golfers made REAL money than the sports world would have to take us seriously and then we might get... REAL Sponsors.. Sounds Scary. I wonder how many times the PGA tour gives well over half its pot to fixing up a course?
    This would make more sense if it were in a park. Where there was no way to generate money for a course. Milo Mcgiver generates alot of money. Enough to pay for its own course upgrades.. As it is I've played on much worse targets.. If they upgraded one of the courses baskets it would be sweet. I don't think that people that show up once a year should be donating $10,000+ (it has to be way more than this) for course upgrades to a state park. But If I was a local I would be stoked. Way to Pay if Forward, Backward.
    Relax and enjoy your hair
    TNT Yardworks.com

Omigosh, 36 powder coated, deep-dish baskets
    PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
    dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

You are waaaaay over-estimating the cost of the course improvements.

Comment

Really? 36 new baskets. 36 baskets that are being sand blasted and given all new chains? Thats 72 baskets.. What are they charging these days $15 a basket?
        TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yoduh View Post
          With the Beaver State Fling quickly approaching I find myself at number 6 on the waiting list. As I look at the list of golfers it is pretty clear that I am going to have to play my best to cash this year. If I hit last cash than maybe I'll make $40,000 like they do in golf..
          Happy that Professional disc golfers aren't getting a fat payout like real golfers. That would be a waste..
          If Disc golfers made REAL money than the sports world would have to take us seriously and then we might get... REAL Sponsors.. Sounds Scary. I wonder how many times the PGA tour gives well over half its pot to fixing up a course?
          This would make more sense if it were in a park. Where there was no way to generate money for a course. Milo Mcgiver generates alot of money. Enough to pay for its own course upgrades.. As it is I've played on much worse targets.. If they upgraded one of the courses baskets it would be sweet. I don't think that people that show up once a year should be donating $10,000+ (it has to be way more than this) for course upgrades to a state park. But If I was a local I would be stoked. Way to Pay if Forward, Backward.
          My understanding from reading the article is only some of the basket trays will be upgraded, and only the chains that need to be replaced will be replaced then all of the bands will be newly powder coated. I pretty sure that the cost of this will be well under $10,000. Also from reading the article sounds like only the money raised from the sale of the Archon cfrs will be used for upgrades to the existing Milo McIver baskets.

Cindy
          Last edited by LegoRules; May 3rd, 2011, 09:25 AM.
          Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
          2013 Chick Flick co-TD
          Stumptown #176
          PDGA #37716

Comment

They shouldn't even call it a tournament fund raiser. It should be called a course fund raiser disc
            TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

36 total baskets. No new baskets. Powder coating 36 baskets already in use at the park.
              I find asking a question about something I don't understand leads to fewer apologies to those doing something good.

Comment

So are they cutting off the old cages an welding new ones on?
                TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

The article reads like they are buying brand new baskets and they are refurbishing the old ones.
                  If they are refurbishing them then it's only in the $3,000-$4,500 range. $40 a piece for chains. $40-60 for each to be welded and powder coated.
                  TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

From the PDGA article
                    plan to use the lionís share of the money to completely refurbish all thirty-six baskets at Milo McIver State Park where the Beaver State Fling is held every year. Not only will we be replacing all of the older, shallow basket trays with new, deep-dish trays, but we will also be replacing any old rusty chain sets with new chains. To top that off, over these months leading up to the event, we will also be having all thirty-six baskets stripped, sand-blasted and powder coated. When we're all done, we will effectively have thirty-six new baskets at Milo McIver State Park.
                    There are only 36 holes at Milo.

Comment

I read the article just now, and I didn't get the sense they were talking about new baskets -- I think it was pretty clear they were talking about refurbishment.
                      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Here's a rundown...

There are 17 of the 36 baskets at Milo that have the original shallow "baskets/buckets" that will be replaced with the newer deeper versions.

The worst sets of all the chains will be replaced. This is a limited number, maybe 5 sets.

All 36 baskets that are at Milo will be cycled out 9 at a time to be disassembled and ready for powder coating.

Reassemble, rotate in, repeat...until all 36 baskets are complete!

Comment

yea wouldnt that be frikken awesome if we were to have 4 18 hole course at Milo........ there is still a little bit of untapped/unused land there

i am pretty sure that is not in the short term plans...

but hey who knows 4 18's at Milo and stretch Timber a little bit then host the Worlds in 1 spot no travel between courses....
                          "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Wow. This post is a shining example of why it is a good idea for people get their facts straight before posting on a public forum.

Yes, this probably going to be one of the highest average rated MPO fields in history. If you want to cash you will need to play your best golf ever. This is an National Tour event. Isn't the whole point of an National Tour to get the best players around? Why you are spinning this into a bad thing is beyond me.

If Disc golfers made REAL money than the sports world would have to take us seriously and then we might get... REAL Sponsors.. Sounds Scary.
                            Those of us who have dedicated the past 6 months to organizing, raising money and gathering REAL sponsors etc for this event definitely appreciate your belittling of our efforts. I am also sure our current sponsors who have committed thousands of dollars in support to our event also appreciate your minimizing their contributions as well.

I wonder how many times the PGA tour gives well over half its pot to fixing up a course?
                            Half the pot? Whaaat? You have absolutely no clue what our payout is or what it will be, so I am going ignore this comment... much like I ignore Faux News.

This would make more sense if it were in a park. Where there was no way to generate money for a course. Milo Mcgiver generates alot of money. Enough to pay for its own course upgrades.. As it is I've played on much worse targets.. If they upgraded one of the courses baskets it would be sweet.
                            Yes, I am sure the disc golf course at Milo McIver State Park generates money for the State Park system. It does not, however, guarantee that money gets spent on our course. We use this course year after year for this event and we felt this was an excellent way to not only improve our course, but also to thank the park system for allowing us to have this amazing piece of property.

I don't think that people that show up once a year should be donating $10,000+ (it has to be way more than this) for course upgrades to a state park. But If I was a local I would be stoked. Way to Pay if Forward, Backward.
                            Your logic here is seriously flawed. There is no registration surcharge for this effort, so people who show up once a year aren't donating a single dime to this effort. The only people who are supporting this effort would be those people who chose to purchase a BSF Archon.

Even though I don't think I should not have to justify this... here are the approximate costs we are talking about.

$1300 - 17 trays, some chains and 36 new top flags.
                            $1700 - Sandblasting & powder coating

So there it is. $3000 and NONE OF IT affects the payout AT ALL, because we would NOT have even had the opportunity for the Archons if our intent was to dump it in to the payout.

Jeremy, I have to say I am extremely disappointed in this entire thread. It is crap like this that makes me question why I even bother putting so much of my own time and effort into events that inevitably get bad-mouthed by someone. No matter what we (TDs in general) do, someone complains about something. Here I am defending myself for wanting to do a good deed for the course we run our event at. How ridiculous is that?

Jeff Hagerty
                            Co-TD 2011 Beaver State Fling

PS: So... does your obvious unhappiness mean you want me to remove you from the wait list?
                            "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

PS: So... does your obvious unhappiness mean you want me to remove you from the wait list?[/QUOTE]

well said sir.....bravo

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X