X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A potential PDGA rule change.

This weekend I had an idea that seemed to make sense to me.

What if, while playing a hole, once you putt from inside the circle, you keep putting until you completely hole out, then the next person, etc...

They already do this in ball golf, and while I am not saying we should adopt all of their rules, I also don't think we should ignore their rules that just make sense.

I think this would play a little faster in the long run since people won't be debating who is out over and over.

Anyone have any ideas why this would not work?
    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post

What if, while playing a hole, once you putt from inside the circle, you keep putting until you completely hole out, then the next person, etc...

They already do this in ball golf, and while I am not saying we should adopt all of their rules, I also don't think we should ignore their rules that just make sense.

I think this would play a little faster in the long run since people won't be debating who is out over and over.

I do agree with you, that it would be a good idea, but I don't think I have ever seen a debate about who is out inside the circle.(that I can remember) It seems to happen a lot when a couple guys are outside the circle. I think the rule that should be clearified is you can't us anything for a counter balance in off hand. So is that any added weight i.e. towel, disc?
    My drunken words are my sober thoughts!

Comment

I like it, I think.

If you miss you can just go up and tap out, get out of the way and start thinking about the next hole.

OTOH, if you miss one and then leave yourself with a tester, is the second putt easier because the muscle memory from the first putt is fresh and all it takes is a little tweak in your throwing motion to hit the 25-footer comeback? Kind of like when you're practicing your putting.

I know I'd like to follow up a miss with an immediate throw and not 'stew in my juices' while others putt.

Be interesting to see it tried in a tournament.

Comment

Speed of Play who ever is ready should be the norm
        rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jim J View Post
          I like it, I think.

If you miss you can just go up and tap out, get out of the way and start thinking about the next hole.

OTOH, if you miss one and then leave yourself with a tester, is the second putt easier because the muscle memory from the first putt is fresh and all it takes is a little tweak in your throwing motion to hit the 25-footer comeback? Kind of like when you're practicing your putting.

I know I'd like to follow up a miss with an immediate throw and not 'stew in my juices' while others putt.

Be interesting to see it tried in a tournament.
          That is why I'm such a fan of jim always has great perspective on things. As I was fan of the idea rule change, after reading it kinda think the whole second put thing with muscle memory could be considered add advantage.
          My drunken words are my sober thoughts!

Comment

I can see this taking longer in certain situations.

Let's say three of us all drive and land just inside the circle. As the rule stands now, we would all approach our discs and take turns putting. After we all putt, we would all move forward to either retrieve our discs from the basket or, in my case, drop the putt in for a par.

Under your proposal, the first person would putt and everyone would wait while he walked forward 30' and putted again (unless of course the first one was made). The second person putts, and everyone waits again....

This rule would probably have a different effect on different divisions. It might not be that big of a deal in the Pro fields where a large percentage of 30' putts are made.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
              Speed of Play who ever is ready should be the norm
              Except this does bother some people, for whatever reason.
              "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Except this does bother some people, for whatever reason.
                I don't get why it should either I guess playing for lunch money is different then prize money
                rewindb.com

Comment

If it was the putter's option to do this and he missed the putt, then he should only get maybe 10 seconds after getting to his lie rather than 30 seconds. Otherwise, I doubt this rule would speed play. Some players will carry their bag forward to the missed putt and then the player has to get the bag, chair and maybe umbrella moved before the next away player can throw. There are so many possibilities for where players would be located and on what type of green that it seems like simply exercising the speed of play option already allows some of this time savings to occur under current rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                    If it was the putter's option to do this and he missed the putt, then he should only get maybe 10 seconds after getting to his lie rather than 30 seconds. Otherwise, I doubt this rule would speed play. Some players will carry their bag forward to the missed putt and then the player has to get the bag, chair and maybe umbrella moved before the next away player can throw. There are so many possibilities for where players would be located and on what type of green that it seems like simply exercising the speed of play option already allows some of this time savings to occur under current rules.
                    You're probably right about all of this, but it always seemed silly to watch someone whose putter is sitting under the basket waiting for 3 other people to go through their routines when he could just tap it out and be done before the first person got to their lie. Somewhere...there is a smart solution to be stumbled upon.

Comment

tap ins within 5 feet?
                      Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

Comment

The problem with making it a rule is that some will take advantage of it to mess with other players or are just anal about their procedures. We know that most of us get the idea that the way you would do this is if you putted and it dropped by the pin, you would pick up your marker walk forward, drop the marker, pick up the putter, drop it in, remove it, pick up the marker and get out of the way. However, it's hard to write that so some players wouldn't pad the time it takes to do some of those steps and add a few in there like picking up their bag, carrying it to the lie, thinking about and selecting another disc and going thru their putting routine even for basically a gimme. I know you've seen players like that or players who would do it on purpose depending on who's in the group.

Comment

You're probably right about all of this, but it always seemed silly to watch someone whose putter is sitting under the basket waiting for 3 other people to go through their routines when he could just tap it out and be done before the first person got to their lie.
                          The flip side of three people waiting to tap out is three people who have already tapped out and are walking to the next hole and not focussing on player four.

I seem to recall some statement in the rules that the players are supposed to watch each other's throws, which would mean no one should leave the green until everyone's holed out anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim J View Post
                            The flip side of three people waiting to tap out is three people who have already tapped out and are walking to the next hole and not focussing on player four.

I seem to recall some statement in the rules that the players are supposed to watch each other's throws, which would mean no one should leave the green until everyone's holed out anyway.
                            Yeah, this is what I see happening too. Jeff just wants to get to the next tee box quick as possible.
                            "Operator! Give me the number for 911! " - Homer S.

Comment

Roll aways happen too... I have seen 25ft putts that rolled 25+ft away from the basket.
                              Would the player who just missed an uphill 25 footer be forced to take his next putt, from further way, next? This would OBVIOUSLY hamper speed of play if 3 others could tap out while he walks back and sets up his next putt. (I think Doss had this happen at USDGC a couple years back... 2 missed putts, in a row, that both rolled OB for long uphill lies.) Shouldn't he be given a chance to collect himself before having to putt again? It would also add more pressure on the golfer who just missed his 25 footer to have to putt again within 10 seconds like Chuck mentioned.

I also wonder how this would be put into effect during Match play or Skins.
                              The order of holing out during these games is very specific and necessary.
                              Seems changing the rule would just muddy the water for so many situations we handle on a regular basis.
                              Last edited by jshrack; April 20th, 2011, 10:13 AM.
                              When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X