X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whip sets unofficial WR set in Kansas 2day

rob ryan just posted that Dion A. threw 898' 2day but it was wind aided so it will not count.
    "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

I think wind aided does count. That's why they go to the lake bed for the Distance Championships. Lots of wind.
    Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

Comment

Doesn't seem like it should count. I mean, you could go out in a hurricane with a 150 Valkyrie and it'd never land.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I'm looking at the WFDF rulebook and this is the only thing I can find about wind. Sounds like wind is OK to me:

601.04 Distance: The playing area in distance shall be of sufficient size to permit the entire course of the disc flights to be contained within its perimeter, essentially level to insure an accurate measurement, and in an area which permits an unblocked windflow. The layout of the field shall be such that throws may be made with the prevailing wind.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
          Doesn't seem like it should count. I mean, you could go out in a hurricane with a 150 Valkyrie and it'd never land.
          A standard hurricane is no good.. you need a one-directional hurricane.. but then it would be perfectly fine. The WFDF world distance records are neat, but they're not really representative of actual disc golf conditions or lines. They're all set under conditions that you don't find anywhere else except at those particular events. That said, Dion's distance is still amazing (needs a smilie for /drool).

Comment

Damn- sometimes I have trouble throwing 898 inches.
            The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Of course wind counts.

There's a reason why the first official 800'+ throws were nearly back to back by different people.
              We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Was this an official distance contest? If so, then this would be the new official world record.

I know that others such as Avery Jenkins (Pro Destroyer?), Dan Beto (Pro D Crush, lawl), and probably several others have thrown past the previous official world record distance.

Does anyone know the disc Dion threw? I'd guess X Nuke or Surge, but I have no clue what Dion throws for max D in a tailwind.
                We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

I believe this report is a rumor.
                  Innova Champion Discs
                  Discmania
                  huk lab
                  Keen Footwear
                  Grip EQ Disc Golf Bags
                  Stimpi Ridge Disc Golf in Spokane, WA
                  Play it Again Sports Corvallis and Eugene

Comment

Anyone care to discuss how difficult it is to get the technique right for a distance throw in a big tailwind? You must have a big arm, and more.
                    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I just have to say that's FAR. Congratulations Dion. I'd like to have seen it..
                      "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                      Cleveland Brown

Comment

I'm pretty willing to bet that few, if any, could impart the necessary airspeed in hurricane force winds to get lift from a golf disc. If it's blowing 75 MPH (cat 1), you'd need to release it going a good deal faster than that. In fact, it might go farther if you threw it upwind, but not in the direction you threw it. Downwind altitude is mostly from muscle. You have to go faster than the air to get lift.

...you could go out in a hurricane with a 150 Valkyrie and it'd never land.
                        I think it would land fairly quickly (it would if I threw it). It might bounce, tumble, and roll for a very long way, but I don't think that counts.
                        Last edited by Ol' Bob; April 16th, 2011, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Bob's right the biggest winds for serious distance have to be from the side to allow for lift and carry.

Comment

I've only gotten a tailwind drive just right one time in eight years. It was on our hole #10 (of course), and it was my drive during a round and I outdrove a course record holder. It felt great, even if it was only 375 feet, but it was far longer than any other drive I ever did. I used an old 148 DX Wraith. I got enough on it, using a little hyzer, to get it to flip to flat and begin gliding back down from about fifty feet up. I'm just too wimpy to flip pretty much anything when throwing upwards in a tailwind, but I managed to do it that time. Most of my tailwind attempts just fall out of the sky, too slow for lift.

Comment

Dion said on his Facebook page this morning that the official measurement was 843'... World Record. Congrats Dion.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X