Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever had a disc golf hole turn out this terrible?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWTXoNzuk8c

So every one knows, this isn't a disc golf video but it made me laugh. Also, made me feel sorry for this stick swinger. The back story is the player in question (Kevin Na) shot a 16 over on a par 4 at the Texas Open. This is the WORST recorded score on a par 4 and I believe second worst recorded score of all time (a 27 in 1927 is the reported worst).

This raised a interesting question in my mind. Has anybody ever had a hole turn out this cataclysmic during a tournament round? I know I have carded a few terrible scores (a 8pp is my personal best).
    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
    Cleveland Brown

I hit a 65 footer once for an 8 at the USDGC...

I've heard some horror stories from Winthrop though... My bet is that lots of folks have beaten a 16 out there...

Comment

Don't think I've ever carded anything bigger than a snowman in tournament play.

I think I remember hearing about a 21 at Timber Linn durning the Willamette Open a few years back.

Comment

Damn, that was painful to watch!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

I think I remember hearing about a 21 at Timber Linn durning the Willamette Open a few years back.
          I think I saw some of that 21 on the Timber Linn island hole as I was in a nearby group. That guy has gotten over that debacle quite nicely since then....

I had my worst single score to date on that same hole and although nothing like that 21 or some other of the huge scores on that hole it was painful nonetheless. All attempts were flick spike hyzers...

1st drive - out of circle by inches (spotter had to go look at it up close to call)

2nd drive bounced in then out of back of circle (into water)

3rd drive - OB again after turning over my disc a surprising amount considering what disc I thought I had thrown (champ boss). Then when I reached into my bag to pick a disc to use for my 4th attempt I looked down and saw the boss in there that I thought I had just thrown. Realized at that moment that I had just thrown a lightweight wraith of same color, explaining the massive flip.

4th drive - Inbounds in the island (with the boss). Missed putt for 8.
          Score = 9pppp

Comment

Wow I just watched the Na video.... That was brutal, and crazy, and hilarious all at once. There were so many parts that stand out (or left questions).

-Did he get hit by another ball when he was back there? At first I thought he was making that up or fishing for excuses when he hit the tree and his ball went backward. But then someone said something about it over the radio to the official who was back in the trees with him?

-Did he whiff once?

-How about how we was just swinging away and at times his caddy and the official were pretty much running to get out of his way.

-Oh and perhaps my favorite part was his first shot once he finally got back to the fairway when he twirled his club on his follow through like he was parking it for birdie when really it was his 14th stroke.

Comment

I wonder what the celebration would have looked like had he holed that 14th shot.
              Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

I was following a Pro card at Trojan a couple years ago during a sanctioned event. It was hole 6, short little par three over the water. The card had two 1000+ rated players on it. The scores were 2, 5, 7, 9 (or 11, can't remember). The highest rated player carded the 9 (or 11).

Comment

Originally posted by Lund View Post
                  Wow I just watched the Na video.... That was brutal, and crazy, and hilarious all at once. There were so many parts that stand out (or left questions).

-Did he get hit by another ball when he was back there? At first I thought he was making that up or fishing for excuses when he hit the tree and his ball went backward. But then someone said something about it over the radio to the official who was back in the trees with him?

-Did he whiff once?

-How about how we was just swinging away and at times his caddy and the official were pretty much running to get out of his way.

-Oh and perhaps my favorite part was his first shot once he finally got back to the fairway when he twirled his club on his follow through like he was parking it for birdie when really it was his 14th stroke.
                  My two favorite parts of that video are the second drive when he lets the club go. You know that is just horrible feeling. Watching your drive land deeper than the first.

The second is when him and his caddy are walking back out to the fairway and he looks over and says "How are we going to count all those strokes?" That made me laugh. At least he was smiling while it happened. You know he probably went home, however, and beat a bag of puppies (or kittens depending on whats more offensive to think about).
                  Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

Ouch, a 21? Whats the hole look like? Is it just some evil out of bounds issue or is it water and ob or a mystical force field around the hole that acts like the Bermuda triangle?
                    Cleveland Brown

Comment

Sad thing is... He went from one over through eight holes... to thirteen over through nine holes. I saw video of them talking about it and trying to figure it out. He said, "I know I had taken between 10 and 15 strokes just to get back onto the fairway." They were joking about it, even.

My worst was an 11ppp at Milo on the West island green. Talk about tin cup...
                      ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

At the Vibram Open at Maple Hill, there is plenty of water. I carded an 11 on a par 3 in the second round when I went in the drink 4 times in succession. If I had even gotten a 6 on that hole I would have been in the money. My best consolation is that there were several people with higher single hole scores including someone with a 13...
                        "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

I also have the now infamous 9 on the burm hole at Adair. Got to the green area in 2. Putted at the basket, gust of wind from the other side blows the disc right back to me. Thinking it can't happen again, I putt again - exactly the same - and get the same result. Shooting 5, I think "surely that can't happen again." I putt, the disc is in the chains... the wind gusts and blows it right back to me. Shooting 6, I try a new tack. I am going to slide a driver on its back right up the hill and take my drop-in 7. Executed perfectly. Disc slides up the hill and gets near the top... when it stands up on edge and rolls... right back to me. Bart Yanoch steps in at this point and tells me that it is no longer my turn (though it really was, still) and he throws. I then throw 7 and still do not make it up the hill but I am much closer - maybe 18 feet. Throw 8 and it hits the cage and comes to rest under the basket. I carded the 9.

The saddest part of this story is where I was in relation to the leaders. It was our fourth hole of the final round and I started two strokes back. I had made up those two strokes in the previous three holes and was tied with the leaders. I played the rest of the round about as cleanly as I could and finished +2 but way back of the leaders. I think I tied for 10th. OUCH!
                          ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                          ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

I remember watching that Sam... brutal!

Comment

"Blackjack" Rothstein got the 21 on 888 at the USDGC quite a few years ago (2002?). Marty Hapner topped that in 2007 on hole 17 at USDGC with a 26.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X