Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not playing in many tournaments myself. I have found that when I have entered not knowing my rating(non pdga member) I would just sign up for whatever division no matter what, who cares about results and just have fun, personally I am not an ultra competive kind of guy and just enjoy playing. So here is my .02 if you are unsure of where you match up in a given division, just sign up and have fun regardless of how good/bad your competition may be.
    The Frisbee is the mirror to the soul.

-M. Burns

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
      In a perfect world, second weekends would be great for all of the larger tournaments.

But don't forget that tournament director's time and energy (as well as the time and energy of the many volunteers needed to run events of this magnitude) are not an umlimited resource.
      Reason #345 why TDs should be compensated for their time and talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Carie CPink View Post
        Reason #345 why TDs should be compensated for their time and talent.
        Thread drift . Seriously though, I would willingly pay a TD from my own pocket if it meant I could get a second weekend just for MA1. I'd bring beer for the volunteers (if they were so inclined to partake in a delicious brew).
        "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
        Cleveland Brown

Comment

And you could pay all of the volunteers, too? Getting a TD to commit to two weekends is one thing. Getting a large team of volunteers together for two consectutive weekends is a lot to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
            And you could pay all of the volunteers, too? Getting a TD to commit to two weekends is one thing. Getting a large team of volunteers together for two consectutive weekends is a lot to ask.
            Ahh, see, this is where I differ from everyone. If you are a volunteer, you don't get paid. Period. That's the point of a volunteer. Does anybody expect to be compensated with money when they volunteer their time to do anything? I sure hope not.

Case in point. I recently volunteered my efforts to help the blood drive in Spokane by getting people to donate. I busted my ass to do so. For weeks I was hounding people to just spend the 30-45 minutes and donate. Cause you know 1 person can save 3 with blood and plasma. After all that leg work (30-40 hours a week) I got a tee shirt and a thank you card. Did I expect to get paid? Nope. There are people that will do it just to do it. Do they deserve to get compensated? Sure do. Are they going to? Nope. Just the way it works.

It would be a huge undertaking but one that could be very worthwhile if pursued. Personally, I thank all volunteers and T.D's as much as I can during a weekend. If more players did so, there would be more people willing to volunteer. It's amazing how much a sincere thank you and a hand shake inspire people. I know it does for me.
            Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
              Ahh, see, this is where I differ from everyone. If you are a volunteer, you don't get paid. Period. That's the point of a volunteer. Does anybody expect to be compensated with money when they volunteer their time to do anything? I sure hope not.
              What makes a TD anything other than a glorified volunteer, then? Why should they get paid, but not other volunteers? I may have misread your post and you meant that TDs should also not get paid.

Back on topic: Sillybizz, I imagine the capping is mostly for the insanely large fields. There is no reason to cap smaller fields because as you indicated, their size can very greatly (a %500 difference is probably not uncommon). They are also not going to completely saturate the field, while something like MA1 could.
              We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hemmerling View Post
                Grammar police: "intensive purposes" --> "intents and purposes".
                Maybe he only meant the intensive purposes, and was ignoring all intents and non-intensive purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
                  Maybe he only meant the intensive purposes, and was ignoring all intents and non-intensive purposes.
                  Perhaps he meant intense porpoises.

Comment

Let's not be silly. No matter how intense they are, dolphins don't play the Frisbee disc.

Comment

Let's not be silly. No matter how intense they are, dolphins don't play the Frisbee disc.
                      Yeah, but...

I ain't wired to be silly, if Silly's any indication.

The rest of the story:

Last edited by Ol' Bob; April 14th, 2011, 05:30 PM.
                      The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                      ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
                        "If you look at the results from past gigs it's fairly easy to determine where to place the cap within each division".

There are still things/people that can get screwed with this practice.
                        But speaking for myself as a 25+ year TD, what else is new?
                        And yeh you're right, those old farts can always throw a wrench in the woiks.
                        no wrench throwin this year....moved up to Grandmaster and will be playin in events offering a chance to play in that division

Comment

http://www.zazzle.com/dolphin_frisbe...78032480574632
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/dan4th/483867696/

and just skip youtube
                          Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude, 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
                            for all intensive purposes
                            ?

you mean 'for all infants and porpoises'
                            "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

Originally posted by The Ombudsman View Post
                              ?

you mean 'for all infants and porpoises'
                              I meant to use a computer and not quick text on my Android. Stupid smart phone.
                              Cleveland Brown

Comment

Let's not be silly.
                                Let me be silly.

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                                I ain't wired to be silly, if Silly's any indication.
                                Nice.
                                Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X