Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the scoring should be reversed to better emulate the real world. Making a putt counts the same on the scorecard regardless whether you make it from 10' or 35'. Missing a 10-footer "hurts" more than missing a 35-footer because making the 10-footer is more probable than the 35-footer. My thought would be to reverse the scoring in the 1025 game so the 10-footers score like the 35-footers and vice versa. Even though it would mean total scores in this game would be closer between average versus better putters, it would reflect how much the slight differences in putting will make in being a 1025 versus 975 player. That's only 5 throws a round. Making all the 10' & 15' putts, most 20', 25' and 30' putts plus half the 35-footers EVERY round is what it takes.

Comment

hmm... I shall see what I can do.
      What do you think the scoring range should be?
      What is the ratings range?
      Maybe a quick breakdown of how you see the make percentages?
      Maybe for a couple different ratings?
      I can easily make a couple formulas to match the data and simplify from there.
      When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

I think for starters, just flipping the 1025 point scheme provided would be fine. My thought would be that the probability of making a putt declines faster than linearly as you progress away from the target. For a 1025 player, you make 100% 2 feet away from the pole, then 96% at 10 feet, maybe it's 84% at 20 feet and 68% at 30 feet and 48% at 40 feet and 18% at 50 feet.

Comment

My putting game is simple and is much like playing a round of golf.

1) Drop minis at 35' and 25'.
          2) Take one putt from '35 and if you hit it you score a birdie.
          3) If you missed it, step to the 25' mark and putt. If you hit that, you score a par.
          4) If you missed it you score a bogey.

Once you have scored a hole, step back to the 35' mark, reset your routine and play the next hole.

Play 18 holes and track your "round" score.

To me, this is much more similar to how I find myself putting during competitive rounds than any other putting game I have tried. Of course... I am the king of park it and 3 putt.
          "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

The best players in the world are rated in the 1040's. If the scoring of a game would max out at 1050 then the scores might be a bit closer to actual ratings. Keep the same idea chuck is leading toward but divey up some more points across the board.
            Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

TEN-FIFTY

I came up with decently even scoring system:
              Name would have to change to TEN-FIFTY (1050) or something similar...
              Scoring range is 750-1050
              Six putts from each tier
              5 points per putt
              5 point bonus for first and last putts at a tier
              10 point bonus for 'all putts' at a tier

Six tiers with a possible 50 points/tier gives 300 possible points.
              Sub-total your score and add 750 for your Round Total
              300 + 750 = 1050

Here is a quick printout:
              Last edited by jshrack; May 22nd, 2011, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny B View Post
                The should've made the first and last for 25' worth 10 each instead of 5 each. Then it'd be 1035, which also matches the distances played 10' to 35'
                Could take it a step further, down to 20' first/last worth 10, and first putt at 15' worth 10, then it'd be ten-fitty. Seems like the best way to make it closest to PDGA ratings imho.

Comment

A different spin...

Here's a different game that utilizes the distance markers around a practice basket that has all the elements of a perfectly classic game.

>it's fantastically simple and easy to learn
                  >very few rules
                  >simple scoring system
                  >demands skill and focus
                  >can be a roller-coaster ride from serenity to excitement to frustration and despair...all in a matter of minutes
                  >can be played as a solitaire type game or with an opponent--or two
                  >can easily be scaled up or down to fit the abilities of the player(s) while still remaining challenging
                  >a game may be quick, or seemingly endless
                  >can be played for money or glory

...and all the while, it will brutally test, and improve, your short game.

it's called: Three-Two

I'll describe two person play, and I think it will become obvious how this can be played with a third or solo.

Before a game has begun, players agree upon a starting distance and an ending distance. A typical choice would be to start at 10' and finish at 30'.

Flip a disc to see who throws first. Players then begin at the 10' marker and take turns throwing at the basket. The title of the game is the scoring method: three hits in a row to step back a level, two consecutive misses to step up (i.e. -- hit 3 at 10', step back to 15'..miss two at 15', step up to 10') If a player misses two in a row while at the 'start' distance, the opponent(s) receives an extra turn (if you miss two in a row at 10' playing solo, then you give yourself an extra throw because you need the practice). The first player to hit three in a row and step off the final distance wins. Simple. Brutal. A minute to learn...a lifetime to master.

As a solo game, this is great putting practice by both building your confidence at shorter distances and forcing you to strive for consistency at longer ones.

You can also play a sudden-death type game where it only takes one miss to step up and a miss at the start distance means an instant win for the opponent (or, in a three person game, the player that missed would be out of the game)...now that's harsh.

Word of advice: carefully consider whether or not you have the shazam-onality to hit three in a row at 30' before agreeing to this as a finish point or you may find yourself in a very long game (or a very short one if you are playing against someone who can hit three in a row at 30')

Go out and give it a shot and post up what you think.
                  "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

This gets me wondering... how do you all measure distance from the basket? Yesterday I measured out a piece of twine to 10 meters, tied it to a cylinder tube on one end (to be able to wrap it up), and taped the other end to a strong magnet. Now, when i want to see if I'm in the circle, I throw the magnet on and use a stick to unspool the twine out to 10m. Works perfect! Considering this game I just learned, I will now throw small pieces of tape on at 5' intervals from 10' through 30', and guesstimate the 2 extra feet (from the 10m mark) to play 1025. Good stuff. So I guess it is legitimate to jump putt from the last spot in the game? I made a really sick jump putt today after making sure it was outside the circle (was only by a couple feet! I love the new tool!)

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonH View Post
                      This gets me wondering... how do you all measure distance from the basket?
                      We have bricks set in the ground at five foot increments around the practice basket at the Downriver course.
                      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Came up with this card.
                        Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
                          Came up with this card.
                          Seems silly to me to reward close putts with more points. Longer putts are more often birdies, and should be better rewarded, no? Plus, the disparity in points between a person who can consistently putt from 35' vs a person who can't should be much greater, as putting from 10' should be a no brainer to any competitive disc golfer.

Comment

Putts missed that are shorter than 25 feet effect your score more than putts ouside of the circle (33'). Longer putts are a bonus, which normally result in a scoring opportunity or a big save.

So, in a putting game. The shorter putts should be more worth more because you can't afford to miss them.

Comment

Umm... my scoring system has every putt worth the same amount for a good reason.
                              Cuz every putt is a make or a miss... not a point scheme.
                              If you park your drive 35ft out and your partner parks theirs 10 ft out... both putts are worth the same amount.

The scoring is pretty easy with every putt being worth exactly 5 points and never changing... you don't even need a scorecard after you play it once or twice.
                              I will repost my card with a standardized scoring scheme; every putt is worth the same amount, bonuses are also consistent:

Comment

I don't mean to say my method is the best by any means... although my comment seemed to read that way.

I was just trying to put down a scoring system that meets Chuck's concept:
                                1 Hits the scoring range for most tournament players
                                2 equalizes each tier
                                3 hopefully better represents your current PDGA ratings
                                please give it a try and let me know if it works for #3

Heck, with all the Pro's putting up rounds at or above 1080 lately, might that be a better score for a 'perfect' game of putting? I doubt too many people will ever get a perfect score but missing one putt with my current system drops your score by 15-25 points... just pondering.

Input?

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X