X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Td's getting paid

Now that the shine is off the previous thread with the same title.
    I thought we should start a serious discussion about compensating TD's.

So far the response has pretty much been " It's OK for a TD to make money off the field" (not to be confused with making money off the Am's scrip).

My questions are
    What type of gratuity do TD's deserve?
    1. Pat on the back
    2. Cash
    1. If cash?
    2. Gross
    3. Net
    4. only added cash
    1. how much?
    2. straight fee,
    3. tip jar
    4. %, If so >5%, 5-10%, < 10%

Prioritize these in level of importance 1 being most 4 being least
    1. Sponsorship for expenses
    2. Sponsorship for added cash
    3. Course maintenance
    4. Professionalisum of event

This is a chance for us to have a real discussion about this
    Last edited by LJ Jubner; April 12th, 2011, 07:45 AM. Reason: spell check and finish thought
    rewindb.com

dude. this is so last week.
    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
      dude. this is so last week.
      Why in the world do we need another thread started on this.
      Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
      2013 Chick Flick co-TD
      Stumptown #176
      PDGA #37716

Comment

for the very reasons why you both seem so disgusted by it

It's something that's needs to be discussed and in a more positive fashion and tone.
        rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by LegoRules View Post
          Why in the world do we need another thread started on this.
          BECAUSE JUB GOT KICK OFF THE SITE FOR A WEEK. JUB let the poor horse die on it's own. SERIOUS

Comment

After putting some thought into this I think it should go something like this:

1: PDGA Rules should be followed.
            2: Finances should be closed, with the exception of charity and fund raiser tournaments.

I see nothing good coming from public finances. It is a proven fact you can't please everyone, so the only thing publicizing finances can do is upset some people. I don't go to a retail store and ask to see their quarterly statement before I purchase a product so what is so different about a tournament that I should have this right all of a sudden?

I say TDs should throw tournaments and player should go. If a player had a great time and felt they got taken care of in proportion to the entrance fee then they should come back next year. If they feel like it was a sub *Par production, please for the love of god/s don't come back next year. We have this common complaint about how there are so many tournaments now competing for the player base and at the risk of sounding like a Republican I say "Let the open market decide who runs the best tournaments and if they make money off it, well they deserve it."

This bit is for Kilmer
            I understand where your coming from on many of your points. Why do TDs get paid when the volunteers/club members don't? In most cases TDs should be paying for the use of the course and hosting a tournament is a great motivator for the club to get out and do things they were going to do anyways. I believe the clubs get out and do their prep out of a sense of pride so that their course looks as good as it can for the tournament players and the TD renting the course. If the compensation for this work the club is doing isn't enough than thats a negotiation that needs to happen between the TD and the club.

If someone was going to run a tournament on my clubs course we would get out and spruce it up and not for the money. We would spruce it up for the same reason you would, we love our course and we love the sport. The tournament finances would have nothing to do with our desire to be magnanimous hosts to the disc golf community.

I have no desire to make any profit from disc golf but I won't be standing in judgement of other TD on anything other than the quality of product they provide(this includes following standards and guide lines.) If I pay my money and feel I had a great time why should it mater how much money they made.

I am running a tournament in August and I want it to be awesome. We are shooting to create an annual can't miss event in Mason County but at this time I have no intention of making our finances public. Please come play in our event and weigh you experience against your entrance fee and if your not satisfied I encourage you to give me an earful. I will listen and endeavor to do better.

*Par - I feel like I need to explain this term to Jub... or maybe that another thread all together...
            sigpic

Comment

well i must say it is a subject that has been swept under the rug for a while and I personally feel that players give too much pressure to TD's to pay out the most possible and if the players find out the TD's kept some money to compensate for their time and effort, they will be lynched... There are so many tournaments that I go to that are supposed to be fundraisers and yet I see the TD's apologizing to players who win prizes or money, that it wasn't as much as it could be. Really? The TD put on a tournament and did the work, why are they apologizing to the players and why should the TD feel any pressure from players to give 100 percent back to the players especially at C tiers and FUNDRAISERS.
              Focus for any TD should be Maps, course preparation, tournament central presentation, useful player pack items like snacks or something we can really use on the course.
              As a TD myself, I have never kept cash, but kept left over prizes and used these in future events, gave them away to newbies or as sponsorship to other events, or sold them to compensate for my time, because I felt the pressure if I kept any cash, I would be publically lynched, even if the PDGA says I can keep up to $100.
              There are too many disc golfers out there that think everything should be dirt cheap and free, and too many disc golfers who think the payout should be 200+%... TD's want to please as many people as possible but it's impossible because some want this, some want that... Jub is just trying to see what is preferred by the people in the NW...

As a TD, I strive to present a quick and efficient tournament central, meaning quick sign ups, player packs, quick meetings, get out and get the rounds in, smooth lunch with no extension, then quick wrap up and awards so people can hit the road home. Putting in time on the course prep and maps is important long before the tournament... Hole sponsorships are very important to cover the expenses of the tournament. Left over cash can be used as the TD needs to maximize their tournament.

For example, for the 2nd annual Camp Taloali fundraiser coming up in May, I have already fronted over 1 thousand dollars of my own money for the tournament and spent at least 30 hours on course prep, and that is not counting what more i will invest in the next month. I just hope I will make back all that money back and that people will have a great time during the tournament; yet I expect people to question my work and think being a TD is a easy job and so forth...

Just thought I would add a perspective regardless of what or what did not happen at the CSI and Jub... What did happen is that he did put on a tournament and you guys went and played... dont like something, fill out a TD feedback form that is printable off the PDGA website so he can improve...

Thanks to Chase and Jason Back for putting on great fundraisers recently!

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                for the very reasons why you both seem so disgusted by it

It's something that's needs to be discussed and in a more positive fashion and tone.
                hey, now! turn that frown upside down... i thought i was being funny... not disgusted...

... oh! right! dammit all, will i ever remember to use emoticons?!
                "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by Skookum View Post
                  After putting some thought into this I think it should go something like this:

1: PDGA Rules should be followed.
                  2: Finances should be closed, with the exception of charity and fund raiser tournaments.

I see nothing good coming from public finances. It is a proven fact you can't please everyone, so the only thing publicizing finances can do is upset some people. I don't go to a retail store and ask to see their quarterly statement before I purchase a product so what is so different about a tournament that I should have this right all of a sudden?

I say TDs should throw tournaments and player should go. If a player had a great time and felt they got taken care of in proportion to the entrance fee then they should come back next year. If they feel like it was a sub *Par production, please for the love of god/s don't come back next year. We have this common complaint about how there are so many tournaments now competing for the player base and at the risk of sounding like a Republican I say "Let the open market decide who runs the best tournaments and if they make money off it, well they deserve it."

"In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

I don't understand what the complaints are about. This thread is obviously different.

One had the title "TD's getting paid" while this one has the title "Td's getting paid."

Why they are as different as night and... later that night...
                    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

I think TD's do deserve to be compensated. reasonably. When there is no effort made to obtain added money.

The PDGA has tour guidelines and standards that are to be followed by players and TDs.

PERIOD.

Comment

Actually, with a quick google search you can find the finances of any publicly traded company. Just sayin...

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                          well i must say it is a subject that has been swept under the rug for a while and i personally feel that players give too much pressure to td's to pay out the most possible and if the players find out the td's kept some money to compensate for their time and effort, they will be lynched... There are so many tournaments that i go to that are supposed to be fundraisers and yet i see the td's apologizing to players who win prizes or money, that it wasn't as much as it could be. Really? The td put on a tournament and did the work, why are they apologizing to the players and why should the td feel any pressure from players to give 100 percent back to the players especially at c tiers and fundraisers.
                          Focus for any td should be maps, course preparation, tournament central presentation, useful player pack items like snacks or something we can really use on the course.
                          As a td myself, i have never kept cash, but kept left over prizes and used these in future events, gave them away to newbies or as sponsorship to other events, or sold them to compensate for my time, because i felt the pressure if i kept any cash, i would be publically lynched, even if the pdga says i can keep up to $100.
                          There are too many disc golfers out there that think everything should be dirt cheap and free, and too many disc golfers who think the payout should be 200+%... Td's want to please as many people as possible but it's impossible because some want this, some want that... Jub is just trying to see what is preferred by the people in the nw...

As a td, i strive to present a quick and efficient tournament central, meaning quick sign ups, player packs, quick meetings, get out and get the rounds in, smooth lunch with no extension, then quick wrap up and awards so people can hit the road home. Putting in time on the course prep and maps is important long before the tournament... Hole sponsorships are very important to cover the expenses of the tournament. Left over cash can be used as the td needs to maximize their tournament.

For example, for the 2nd annual camp taloali fundraiser coming up in may, i have already fronted over 1 thousand dollars of my own money for the tournament and spent at least 30 hours on course prep, and that is not counting what more i will invest in the next month. I just hope i will make back all that money back and that people will have a great time during the tournament; yet i expect people to question my work and think being a td is a easy job and so forth...

Just thought i would add a perspective regardless of what or what did not happen at the csi and jub... What did happen is that he did put on a tournament and you guys went and played... Dont like something, fill out a td feedback form that is printable off the pdga website so he can improve...

thanks to chase and jason back for putting on great fundraisers recently!
                          one of the better post i actually read.......nice!!! Skookum, of course yours was nice too..........cant wait to sign up for the shelton springs tournament.
                          WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE A SPIDER BITE.

Comment

I see nothing good coming from public finances. It is a proven fact you can't please everyone, so the only thing publicizing finances can do is upset some people.
                            Is the that the only thing that public finances can do? Or just your assumption?

Closed finances piss a lot of people off more than open finances, even if they don't 100% agree with the open finance statement.

Some people make the assumption that you're trying to hide something if you refuse to show where the money went.

I know that Jub's willingness to show the breakdown for CSI definitely made it clear that the people throwing accusations at him were either baseless or really bad at proving their point. So public finances can satiate people, and not just upset them.
                            We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

and what closed finances are you pissed off about?
                              sigpic

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X