Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State Parks

Originally posted by Jim J View Post
    Are you including state/county parks which may not charge you to play DG but charge an entrance fee to everyone?

That is a form of pay-to-play.
    Yes I'll be including State Parks too, for most State Parks its one more activity to draw people in and sometimes it is the main draw. Its good to know whether its "complex" of many activities that they charge a flat rate for or if its solely Disc/Ball Golf Only. The latter will give a better idea how much revenue Disc Golf can attract.

Comment

Lake Casitas, California in Ventura County

1. Public
      2. City park I believe.
      3. $8-$10 (maybe). There's a water park too which may be included in the entry fee.
      4. Whole day
      5. No ball golf course
      6. Standard fee with a person taking the money at entrant kiosk.
      7. How long (don't know)
      8. Casitas Municipal Water District

And then Oregon State Parks that charge a fee would include Dabney, Milo, Rooster Rock, Benson.

Comment

Boondocks Farms, Knightown, IN

1. Private
        2. No
        3/4. $5 a round, $8 all day, $75 a year
        5.DG only
        6. Standard fee
        7.???
        8. ???

Comment

The best thing about disc golf has always been the cost advantage.
          Most courses are in public parks, and have always been free to play.
          California started charging people to play a few years ago, and I know it has reduced the overall amount of players participating.

State parks in Washington implemented a $5 a day use fee a few years ago as well. Parks useage dropped here as well.

Here is my thought. If you charge for disc golf, then you also must charge for everthing else in a public park.
          You wanna walk your dog, you pay to use the trash cans and have them picked up.
          Kids using playgrounds, yep, charge for that too.

I think the better solution is to get rid of the overpaid parks dept. staff, and just have the public assume all the parks maintenance for free.

Baseball players take care of the fields, same with soccer moms and dads, and DG'rs take care of the courses.

No more fees to support an already bloated government money sinkhole.

Comment

don't want to spend time looking into details, sorry:

Milo!! Champoeg, both state parks.
            Fon du Lac, WI
            Sylmar, CA
            Willamette Pass, Odell Lake, OR summer course (Mt. Bachelor too)
            Tom Pearce park, Grants Pass, OR, county park? w/ park fee, iron ranger
            Can't believe Morley Field, San Diego not on list yet, probably best source of data on this topic

Comment

Originally posted by captain jack View Post
              I think the better solution is to get rid of the overpaid parks dept. staff, and just have the public assume all the parks maintenance for free.
              For free? Nothing's free. And no one (including you, I'll bet) is going to volunteer their Saturdays mowing the local park, repairing the play structures, picking up trash left by slobs, cleaning the outhouses, limbing the trees, enforcing park rules, guarding swimming areas, maintaining trails, removing invasive species, and doing all the other things that make parks a great public asset for everyone.

Fact is, the public does assume responsibility for park maintenance the same way we assume responsibility for putting out fires, arresting and locking up criminals, and fighting terrorism.

We do it by hiring professionals with our tax dollars. It works well (and would work even better if we asked the wealthy to share in a bit of the sacrifices currently being foisted on the middle and working classes.)

Comment

Originally posted by geo_ducks View Post
                don't want to spend time looking into details, sorry:

Milo!! Champoeg, both state parks.
                While you're at it, how about Dabney? And Rooster Rock? And LL Stub Stewart? And Benson (nope, trick question, no day-use fee at Benson!)

Oh, that's right, no time for details...
                Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                  And Benson (nope, trick question, no day-use fee at Benson!)
                  Since when?

Comment

Looks like I may be wrong:

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_147.php
                    Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                    Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                    Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                    Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                    Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Here's one in Colorado my brother wants to take me to my next trip out.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3129

Comment

Originally posted by Bossman View Post
                        Pay to play? really? I guess that might be the only way a club that has existed for thirty years to actually open a new course. Pathetic.
                        WOW...what an insightful opinion. Sounds like someone is all for pay to play

Comment

No need to feed the troll.
                          Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by Jim J View Post
                            For free? Nothing's free. And no one (including you, I'll bet) is going to volunteer their Saturdays mowing the local park, repairing the play structures, picking up trash left by slobs, cleaning the outhouses, limbing the trees, enforcing park rules, guarding swimming areas, maintaining trails, removing invasive species, and doing all the other things that make parks a great public asset for everyone.

Fact is, the public does assume responsibility for park maintenance the same way we assume responsibility for putting out fires, arresting and locking up criminals, and fighting terrorism.

We do it by hiring professionals with our tax dollars. It works well (and would work even better if we asked the wealthy to share in a bit of the sacrifices currently being foisted on the middle and working classes.)
                            Riverside park was a perfect example of a course maintained by the community that used it. Here's just one instance to illustrate. On a day when the county planner came to walk the park, we had an extreme wind storm. He had to park outside and climb over downed trees to get in. Left up to the parks dept. the park would no doubt have been closed for who knows how long. Instead, we rallied up and cleared the road in a couple of hours. Didn't cost the county or the taxpayer a dime.

People who do work motivated by love not only do higher quality work. They are not hamstrung with layers of red tape which costs the taxpayer many dimes.

Comment

I played my first round at Huntington Beach, 1977, with Frisbees, things change constantly. They started making golf discs and holes got longer. More people started playing and it has continued to this day. Huntington is now pay to play, as is Morley Field. Don't know about La Mirada ..mmmm.., La Mirada, very nice park. I have, perhaps wrongly, assumed that pay to play was mainly for traffic control. I'm not totally against it. I just hate to hear it as part of the plan from the beginning. There are school children who have installed courses as school projects. Bottom line, if you build it, they will come. Most of my friends will come and help you, donating baskets, labor, and funds. Whatever it takes. We've helped out with work parties far from home. Maybe I just have awesome friends. Pay to play will be part of the picture, but I'll bet there are enough awesome friends around to help keep it as the exception instead of the rule.

Comment

La Mirada is free.
                                If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up. - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X