Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putters

Hey everyone,

Ive been looking at getting a new putter and was curious what other people liked. I currently have an aviar 175 DX. I pretty much cant stand the thing. (Im still rather new)

So I was looking at getting a new one and was curious what the community has to say about putters and why they like the one they like.
    One generation plants the trees while another gets the shade.

Putter choice is very personal. Your best bet is to ask your friends if you can experiment with theirs; if they're DG addicts, they may even have a wide selection on a shelf in their garage.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
      Putter choice is very personal. Your best bet is to ask your friends if you can experiment with theirs; if they're DG addicts, they may even have a wide selection on a shelf in their garage.
      Thats a good idea, i do have some friends that play alot

Comment

I agree with Adam. What' you'll get here is a bunch of people who will tell you that their personal experience for you.

For example, I use a 175g JK Avair. I have dozens of 'em. Best putter ever. You should totally use that. Oh wait, you already do.

What is it about your putter that you don't like? Please be more specific than "It doesn't go in the basket". I have the same issue, and I'm pretty sure it's not equipment related.

Comment

Like what the others have said...find a friend (with a stack of various putters) and start putting. I feel that putters are such a feel thing. I have tried and tried to like aviars but they never feel comfy in my hands.
          I ended up falling in love with my r pro dart even after saying that I would never like it.

-kris

Comment

Well I guess it depends on what you are using it for. If you are looking for a putter inside of 70 feet than they all flight about the same and it's more about how it feels in your hand. If you are looking for a putter for throws up to 250 feet than that is something different and we can guide you to what kind of flight you are looking for. Personally I throw a Pro D and ESP FLX Challengers.
            Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Every piece of advice on this post is gold. I wish I had people around me like that when I was starting. Would of saved me at least 100 bucks on trial and error. Then again, neither one of the putters I use for putting were around when I started (Focus and Ringer). My upshot putter and driving putter are Grip Line Spikes from Lat 64.

Really, try them all. I have friends that swear by Polecats and Sonics (bleck)
              "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
              Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                I agree with Adam. What' you'll get here is a bunch of people who will tell you that their personal experience for you.

For example, I use a 175g JK Avair. I have dozens of 'em. Best putter ever. You should totally use that. Oh wait, you already do.

What is it about your putter that you don't like? Please be more specific than "It doesn't go in the basket". I have the same issue, and I'm pretty sure it's not equipment related.
                I think the biggest thing is it doesnt feel right in my hand. I have grip i use on just about everything, and with putters i cant really do my grip. So i end up throwing it alot like a frisbe, but of course it doesnt fly like one. I was actually thinking of getting a light weight Dart. Something with alot of glide.

As for it not going in that certainly is an issue lol but i can normaly nail it with my skeeter.

So im thinking a dart might be pretty close to that. Or i might just start using my skeeter for putting as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerrgurry View Post
                  Like what the others have said...find a friend (with a stack of various putters) and start putting. I feel that putters are such a feel thing. I have tried and tried to like aviars but they never feel comfy in my hands.
                  I ended up falling in love with my r pro dart even after saying that I would never like it.

-kris
                  This sounds like the choice i might make. Have to get ahold of some friends and see what they have for putters

Comment

Originally posted by littlevahn View Post
                    I think the biggest thing is it doesnt feel right in my hand. I have grip i use on just about everything, and with putters i cant really do my grip.

... i love me my aviar, that's what i would recommend... however you might for fun check out the new yeti from innova... just 'cause jay "yeti" reading is like 3 time world putting champion as well as a hell of a guy...

...anyway... sort of thread drift here a little since you were asking about the putters themselves and this is re: your whole grip thing... i know i myself have a different style grip for putting than for driving also it is different for upshots and approaches... i curl all my fingers under for a drive and for shorter shots and putts i have my index finger along the edge... i s'pose i believe it helps with my accuracy...

... also, you might just need to practice practice practice...

good luck!
                    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by littlevahn View Post
                      I think the biggest thing is it doesnt feel right in my hand. I have grip i use on just about everything, and with putters i cant really do my grip. So i end up throwing it alot like a frisbe, but of course it doesnt fly like one.
                      If you are having grip issues you might want to read through this article:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resour...ttoripit.shtml

That is a really good piece of information as is most of the articles there. Welcome to the site by the way.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                        If you are having grip issues you might want to read through this article:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resour...ttoripit.shtml

That is a really good piece of information as is most of the articles there. Welcome to the site by the way.
                        Nice! I'll def. read through that and thanks!

Comment

I just switched to a Zero Line "Pure" putter by latitude 64 and I really love it...

Choosing a putter is basically about two things... Stability and feel...

The more stable a putter is the harder you can throw it at the basket without worrying about it turning out of your intended line... Wizards are probably the king of super stable putter, but JK and KC Aviars are also very stable and the Ringer and Flow by Discraft are pretty stable too...

But for me the most important thing about a putter is that it feels good in your hand and that your putt does not need to change dramatically for putts that you intend to make no matter the range.

Comment

Discraft does not make a putter called the Flow.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

The flow is made by Latitude 64

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X