X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD's getting paid

I do not agree with TD's getting paid for x-c-b tiers !!!!!
    All the players that are at the work parties are not getting paid so why should the TD? There are other players helping out like the club members should they be paid also?
    This is a problem that we are coming up against and i think we as players should END it this year.
    We need to make these TD's that are going to take money for themselves make that known before we sign up and pay, not Sunday morning when we have no say to change it. We are there to golf and compete not dicker with the TD over payout.
    WE AS PLAYERS NEED TO CHANGE THIS!!!! STAND UP AND SAY NO MORE
    Ask all TD'S before you sign up if they are taking money out to pay themselves. better yet lets make them post it in the flyer or online so we know.
    The more this happens and TD's get away with it the harder it will be to change it later. WE AS PLAYERS CAN STOP THIS
    We all should take better care in our courses

Well people at McDonalds don't work at a fine dining restaurant so they shouldn't get paid either, right? Only those people at 4 star restaurants and above deserve anything.

I am all for people making money if they so choose. From what I have seen even casual tournaments are not the easiest thing to run. Time and effort are involved. I'll happily pay into a tournament where someone who put it on gets paid.

YMMV
    "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.”

Comment

There's no way to stop this (since it's not illegal). Just vote with your feet (and money).

However it's completely reasonble to ask TD's to be up front about their cut (if any). That way players can make an informed decision.

Comment

I agree with Jason. Work parties benifit everybody that plays at the course, not just the tourney players. I have hosted tourneys and never got paid for it, this was my choice. However those TD's that do take pay for hosting a tourney diserve it. It takes alot of work to run a tournament and I for one wouldn't say otherwise if the TD is getting some of the $ for his/her efforts IMO.
        Hukin since 1992
        DGOD #115

Comment

Originally posted by Discgolfingkilmers View Post
          How many tournaments have you ran?
          Last edited by Sean Phillips; March 31st, 2011, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I posted a small survey on the CSI thread Hopefully players will take the time to fill it out. It can be filled out by players from both weekends. I beleive the WSS is also considering something like this so consider this a test of the process.
            rewindb.com

Comment

I always end up paying money to TD my tournaments. I am doing something wrong here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hemmerling View Post
                However it's completely reasonble to ask TD's to be up front about their cut (if any). That way players can make an informed decision.
                I can understand the want to see amounts publicly but honestly unless it is a noted non-profit type event I think it is TD's choice and not any of ours.

Communities of people cannot be self sustaining without paying the people who participate at a higher level. As with any sport, art, music, and any other community; the people who are at their best are those who can dedicate themselves full-time.

Can anyone as a TD say they wouldn't be able to better a tournament with more time to focus on it? The way this happens is creating a self sustaining community. And unfortunately until some other economic situation takes over that does mean money will go into the pockets of people doing work. A competitive market of tournaments and events would relegate who succeeded and who didn't.

I understand the ethos of doing something you love for free but it isn't sustaining and creates a high level of burnout.
                "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.”

Comment

Originally posted by The Brodys View Post
                  I always end up paying money to TD my tournaments. I am doing something wrong here.
                  Not wrong, just very generous. I think TD's should take ~5% then adjust according to demand. If you bust your butt getting sponsorship money, bump it to 10% or 15%

If you had a C tier with an entry of $40, TD gets $2 per player X 72 players = $144. I would attend that tournament time and time again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Phillips View Post
                    If you had a C tier with an entry of $40, TD gets $2 per player X 72 players = $144. I would attend that tournament time and time again.
                    Ditto. Also... good question before. I am thinking that the answer is 0. 0 tournaments run would be my guess.
                    “I believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know — Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, that’s in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, I’ll know I’m a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? I’m not sure, but it’s possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.”
                    ~Annika Sörenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Discgolfingkilmers View Post
                      All the players that are at the work parties are not getting paid so why should the TD? There are other players helping out like the club members should they be paid also?
                      This is a problem that we are coming up against and i think we as players should END it this year.
                      We need to make these TD's that are going to take money for themselves make that known before we sign up and pay, not Sunday morning when we have no say to change it. We are there to golf and compete not dicker with the TD over payout.
                      WE AS PLAYERS NEED TO CHANGE THIS!!!! STAND UP AND SAY NO MORE
                      Ask all TD'S before you sign up if they are taking money out to pay themselves. better yet lets make them post it in the flyer or online so we know.
                      The more this happens and TD's get away with it the harder it will be to change it later. WE AS PLAYERS CAN STOP THIS
                      Really? REALLY? Are you serial?

We have such a hard time finding tournament directors willing to put on events as is especially someone like Jub who puts in so much time and effort on this thing like he does every year. The amount of time it takes to burn out tournament directors is faster than a Hollywood wedding. If you don't like that TD's get paid than don't play, seems pretty simple to me. These people are doing a service to you by putting on the event and should be paid but I think Dan put it best:

Originally posted by DMajor View Post
                      I'm curious what the hourly wage would come out to, if you took all of the hours Jub put in working on the course (for these tournaments) and running both weekends compared to the amount of money he actually pocketed after.

I'm guessing it's not a number very many of us would work for.
                      Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

How about TD's for weeklies do they deserve to take out of the kitty? Just asking because this summer I'll be throwing 20 weekly tournies (10yrs and going) I make my own scorecards, keep records, hold the money, try to get CTP's, and oh yeah take time off from work early to run the tourney.

If so I missed this boat a looooooong time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Madrid View Post
                          How about TD's for weeklies do they deserve to take out of the kitty? Just asking because this summer I'll be throwing 20 weekly tournies (10yrs and going) I make my own scorecards, keep records, hold the money, try to get CTP's, and oh yeah take time off from work early to run the tourney.

You are a perfect example of someone I think that should be making a small amount. I am not talking a six figure salary but a little bit of money to cover expenses and time.

Comment

Check out page 3 for the max event management fees allowed at different tiers: http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/TourStandards.pdf

That's after the TD meets the minimum payout requirements. Taking a percentage for sponsorship money raised or from sales is not necessarily included in this calculation but they can be if TD desires to post more complete financials for the event. It's essentially from the retail/wholesale differential on Am entry fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Madrid View Post

I was running a weekly doubles event every week last year and I put a jar out for tips. That way the people who don't think you should get paid don't have to pay in and the people who want to give back to the TD get to and no one is turned away by "taking their money out of the pot".
                              Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X