Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha, that first post got me a bit worked up. But everyone here more or less said what I was feeling. I have TD'd over twenty events, some small (really small) and some not so small (Willamette Open, B tier once, A tier once). I've had both negative and positive feedback, but on a whole I am under the impression people have a lot of fun at my events, feel the payouts are generous and generally satisfied. Am I making a living off running tournaments? NO. Am I making a profit on my tournament? SOMETIMES. Am I upfront and forthcoming of my intentions to make money and share with the "customers" how much I made? ALWAYS.

If you are trying to do it right and host an event that people in the future will deem worthy of attendance, its just too plain hard to sustain the effort without some compensation. Now perhaps If I won the lottery I'd do everthing for free, so heck, you all can start registering for my events with powerball tickets
    Team DISCRAFT
    NW Sign Up
    Gorilla Boy
    Paragon Disc Golf
    Odwalla

Comment

jub got paid more than the pro that won ! so far i am the only one that thinks that's not ok . I would rather stand up and call BS then allow it to continue! 20 $ a head was taken out and 8 $ went in his pocket per person. Now tell me i am wrong! that is more then is allowed by PDGA standards. Are we not following those rules? I am a member and as a member i can put a stop to this.And yes i will not be playing any jub events in the future i have no need to pay someone to put on a shitty event. PDGA allows TD's to be paid ,I don't like it, but this is something else
      We all should take better care in our courses

Comment

Originally posted by Discgolfingkilmers View Post
        jub got paid more than the pro that won ! so far i am the only one that thinks that's not ok . I would rather stand up and call BS then allow it to continue! 20 $ a head was taken out and 8 $ went in his pocket per person. Now tell me i am wrong! that is more then is allowed by PDGA standards. Are we not following those rules? I am a member and as a member i can put a stop to this.And yes i will not be playing any jub events in the future i have no need to pay someone to put on a shitty event. PDGA allows TD's to be paid ,I don't like it, but this is something else
        Oh my. Well I can't verify any of this information personally, but it seems you ought to have been more specific with your initial post Mark. Do you really wish TDs to never make any money running events? Or do you only wish its in proportion to the size and quality of the event?

This seems a bit on the personal side, have you talked with Jub or alerted the PDGA?
        Team DISCRAFT
        NW Sign Up
        Gorilla Boy
        Paragon Disc Golf
        Odwalla

Comment

sillybizz your a dumbass for putting out a tip jar. everyone wants to profit off doing something can not just help or volunteer there time. Have been playing and helping for 20 years and not once did it put money in my pocket. I donate my time maybe some of you should to

Comment

So your ax to grind is about me personally then good to know. Believe me if I could ever keep someone out of my sanctioned event it would be you Mark

To answer Sean and How many sanctioned events has Mark personally run? I beleive it's ZERO.
            rewindb.com

Comment

sillybizz your a dumbass for putting out a tip jar. everyone wants to profit off doing something can not just help or volunteer there time. Have been playing and helping for 20 years and not once did it put money in my pocket. I donate my time maybe some of you should to
              This is a good one I am pretty sure Mark I have performed more volunteerisum hours in half the time you have been playing and what you call helping
              Last edited by LJ Jubner; March 31st, 2011, 12:09 PM. Reason: fixed quote
              rewindb.com

Comment

I do not agree with TD's getting paid for x-c-b tiers !!!!!
                All the players that are at the work parties are not getting paid so why should the TD? There are other players helping out like the club members should they be paid also?
                This is a problem that we are coming up against and i think we as players should END it this year.
                We need to make these TD's that are going to take money for themselves make that known before we sign up and pay, not Sunday morning when we have no say to change it. We are there to golf and compete not dicker with the TD over payout.
                WE AS PLAYERS NEED TO CHANGE THIS!!!! STAND UP AND SAY NO MORE
                Ask all TD'S before you sign up if they are taking money out to pay themselves. better yet lets make them post it in the flyer or online so we know.
                The more this happens and TD's get away with it the harder it will be to change it later. WE AS PLAYERS CAN STOP THIS
                This arguemant is so last year, welcome to the DG community bro, but you are way behind on beating this very dead horse. Type in the key words in the search engine, you'll see. I bet you consider your time worth something, or do you work for free; most would doubt your willingness to put in hundreds of hours, and then be criticized for it, without any form of compensation. So get over it dude, try running a few before you start condeming those who do. Sorry to come off heavy handed, but believe me, the greater part of the seattle & pdx DG community has moved on, you might want to join us.
                educate your thinking

Comment

And Jub...dude, controversy follows you like crows...and it's a bummer as you really are a nice guy... ah well, something to discuss I guess...
                  educate your thinking

Comment

Ok, well I can see where this thread is going.

How about Jub and Kilmer call eachother and take this conversation off the web.

In terms of volunteering, its not really a contest is it? I've never heard of poeple volunteering just so they can claim they give more to the sport than the next guy. Most folks do it because they believe in the cause. I know both of you two care tremendously about the sport and have strong feelings about its direction. However, your personal dogmas are just that, personal. Mark, Don't feel like you have to force your "volunteer for love, not for money" doctrines on everyone who particpates in the game. And Jub, I really wish that these allegations are untrue, cause in my eyes that indeed is a pretty steep dip into entry fees.

There are other perspectives and oppertunities in this sport. I am a professional in the game, and wish to pursue it as a potential career and help pay the bills. I try to grow the sport because its growth allows me more oppertunities to stay in the game longer.

Hope this issue can be resolved with civil tongues...but come on, who am I kidding.
                    Team DISCRAFT
                    NW Sign Up
                    Gorilla Boy
                    Paragon Disc Golf
                    Odwalla

Comment

This thread is a great example of why disc golf isn't going to be hitting it big any time soon.
                      Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

I've got something for this thread....

Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

TD's deserve to keep something, whether it be cash or prizes for the work they do. I have been to tournaments where it is obvious that the TD put in hundreds of hours of prep work into the tournament as well as tournaments where it looked like the TD thought they could pull off the same job as the hundred hour TD, but in less than 10 hours of prep work, hahahaha is all i can say to those who think they can do it in less than 10 hours of prep work. There is a huge difference in how things flow and quality of the tournament. There are guidelines on the PDGA as Chuck posted for how much a TD can pocket.
                          I have TD more than 15 tournaments and only kept a prize or 2 from 1 or 2 tournaments while the others were done free; more than half of my tournaments I hosted were more than 3 hours away from where I was living!
                          And not to mention, I built a flipping dg course which takes alot of time away from my family, but that's the same story as most TD's, they donate so much time, they deserve a little prize at the end sometimes. To anyone who thinks Disc Golf should be 100 percent free, needs to reevaluate how the world works.

Comment

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
                            Ok, well I can see where this thread is going.

How about Jub and Kilmer call eachother and take this conversation off the web.

In terms of volunteering, its not really a contest is it? I've never heard of poeple volunteering just so they can claim they give more to the sport than the next guy. Most folks do it because they believe in the cause. I know both of you two care tremendously about the sport and have strong feelings about its direction. However, your personal dogmas are just that, personal. Mark, Don't feel like you have to force your "volunteer for love, not for money" doctrines on everyone who particpates in the game. And Jub, I really wish that these allegations are untrue, cause in my eyes that indeed is a pretty steep dip into entry fees.

There are other perspectives and oppertunities in this sport. I am a professional in the game, and wish to pursue it as a potential career and help pay the bills. I try to grow the sport because its growth allows me more oppertunities to stay in the game longer.

Hope this issue can be resolved with civil tongues...but come on, who am I kidding.
                            why would i take it off web?
                            I brought it here for all to see that this is where it is going that as players we need to ask more questions of our TD's. If your a good TD then you don't have to worry, but if your jub you will have to worry. where is all that support now for jub? and jub since you get paid you are not volunteering and my dad can beat up your dad!

Comment

my dad can beat up your dad!

now thats the all time bestest burn ever.....jub got daddy burned.

sorry just trying to lighten the mood....so sorry if it wasn't that funny

Comment

Jub has said time and time again that his tournements and their finances are conducted in the open, so why don't you just ask him. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to put those figures right here in this tread...jub? And come on, stop trying to stir up an old whorenets nest. We are not impressed or amused by your obvious dislike for Jub, but we are tired of it, from any quarter. Please, take it up with jub, and realize that the majority here believe it OK for a TD to be compensated for their time and effort...for god sakes man catch up or wait for the next bus to the corner of beata and dead horse...really, this is pathetic...
                                educate your thinking

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X