PARS Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    One of the reasons we drop a player's round rating that's more than 2.5SD or 100 points below their rating is due to this late rule. We figure if a player is more than two holes late that their score does not really reflect the range of scores they might be likely to shoot without the penalties.

    Comment


    • #17
      So let's say...just for arguments sake...that you have a twelve stroke lead going into the final round. Instead of showing up on time you sleep in a little and get to the course in time to pick up the round on the 4th hole and have another great round and finish in the lead.
      Your saying that even though everyone else on the weekend played all 54 holes and you only play 51 that you should still get to win? Does that sound even remotely fair?
      I don't know about any of the rest of you but I'd rather get my ass kicked by 20 strokes than finish 1 stroke back of someone who didn't even play a full round.

      If your paying to play disc golf then be there for disc golf! If something comes up you just have to make a decision what's more important to you. I mean, if you can't finish a round with everyone else you don't get a score, right? So, why would you get a score for not being able to start a round with everyone else?

      just my opinion

      Comment


      • #18
        You're saying that even though everyone else on the weekend played all 54 holes and you only play 51 that you should still get to win? Does that sound even remotely fair? I don't know about any of the rest of you but I'd rather get my ass kicked by 20 strokes than finish 1 stroke back of someone who didn't even play a full round.
        It's really no different from playing extra conservatively all round where you give up 6 to 8 shots to the field. The player is taking a known risk within the rules to skip a few holes versus play safe. Both strategies are still risky and the player could get burned.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Altophish View Post
          So let's say...just for arguments sake...that you have a twelve stroke lead going into the final round. Instead of showing up on time you sleep in a little and get to the course in time to pick up the round on the 4th hole and have another great round and finish in the lead.
          Your saying that even though everyone else on the weekend played all 54 holes and you only play 51 that you should still get to win? Does that sound even remotely fair?
          I don't know about any of the rest of you but I'd rather get my ass kicked by 20 strokes than finish 1 stroke back of someone who didn't even play a full round.

          If your paying to play disc golf then be there for disc golf! If something comes up you just have to make a decision what's more important to you. I mean, if you can't finish a round with everyone else you don't get a score, right? So, why would you get a score for not being able to start a round with everyone else?

          just my opinion
          Well that's not what I'm specifically talking about when I say I'd rather not be DQ'ed from a tournament I paid $70 for because I was say, performing CPR on a child and arrived ten minutes late. I'd rather take my 7 or multiple 7's and get to play what I paid for.

          I think the notion that someone is going to not show up as a strategy is pretty far-fetched but who knows.

          Comment


          • #20
            Yes, far fetched. (And I would hope no one would really do that). I'm only arguing that the rule is way to friendly to the disc golfer.
            I KNOW you'd rather get to play out at $70 but I'd rather not take a stroke for going OB. Or I'd rather move a branch out of my way.

            But the rules don't exist for what we'd rather have happen. They exist to maintain a fair and even playing field for everyone.

            And, in my opinion, carding a score for an incomplete round is not fair to the players that did finish a full round.

            Also, life saving is always outside the rules!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Altophish View Post

              But the rules don't exist for what we'd rather have happen. They exist to maintain a fair and even playing field for everyone.

              And, in my opinion, carding a score for an incomplete round is not fair to the players that did finish a full round.

              Also, life saving is always outside the rules!
              That is why you get carded with a score of par plus four. That is a pretty huge penalty for being late.

              If life saving is outside the rules, what about getting pulled over, flat tire, broken down car, power failures ( alarm doesn't go off)...the list could go on and on. That is why the PDGA has made a rule to allow for unforeseen tardiness at the start of a round.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Altophish View Post
                Yes, far fetched. (And I would hope no one would really do that). I'm only arguing that the rule is way to friendly to the disc golfer.
                I KNOW you'd rather get to play out at $70 but I'd rather not take a stroke for going OB. Or I'd rather move a branch out of my way.

                But the rules don't exist for what we'd rather have happen. They exist to maintain a fair and even playing field for everyone.

                And, in my opinion, carding a score for an incomplete round is not fair to the players that did finish a full round.

                Also, life saving is always outside the rules!
                Well, now this is just getting silly but I will play along. The comparison to OB strokes etc. is really not relevant. The rule has already been established to keep things fair, and that rule is that you get par plus four, which in my opinion, is pretty fair and appropriately punitive. Basically your round, and potentially your tournament has been seriously impacted after one hole.

                Let's say you register for the BSF at $175. You take two days off of work, drive 100 miles, and set up camp or even buy a hotel room. Somehow you get confused on your starting hole and show up ten minutes late. Is it your fault? Yes, it's your fault. Dumb, innocent mistake. There's something "fair" about getting kicked out of the tournament and your entry fee forfeited?

                It's an opinion to say that would be fair. But I'm pretty sure you'd be hard pressed to find a lot of people supporting this scenario. Or anyone.

                Comment


                • #23
                  "But I'm pretty sure you'd be hard pressed to find a lot of people supporting this scenario. Or anyone. "


                  Ya think? I'm ok with that. Like I said this is just my opinion and the reasons for it. I only think that you don't get to say you ran a marathon if you start at the 5 mile mark.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    That would only be true if you were running in a Marathon for the sole purpose of saying you ran a "Marathon".

                    If you were competing in a Marathon for prizes, then you would be severly penalized by adding twice the average time for the missed 5 miles that you didn't run.

                    Sounds fair to me. If you miss some of the "game", then you will be penalized and will have a harder chance of finishing in the top spots.

                    Usually, the players that are late to a round are already at a disadvantage because they are being rushed into starting a round and aren't warmed up. Their first few holes will most likely not be good, too. Adding the penalty strokes for missed holes. I really doubt that a player that missed a couple holes in a tournamnet will be in the top 10 spots for payout. But, of course, the player could have a couple of stellar rounds and one good. The good one could of been stellar if they player actually played all the holes.

                    Comment

                    Announcement Announcement Module
                    Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X