X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Much of what's been said plus.....

Stub Stewart is one of the top courses I have played. Different aspects of courses will appeal to different people. For me at the top of that list is the outdoors experience; a sense of solitude, peace, the impression of being immersed in a landscape. This all adds up to the feeling that you went on a journey when you are done. If this speaks to you as a disc golfer Stub is a must play.

Of course none of the above would be be very important if the course didn't succeed in all of the other obvious ways; real fairways, a variety of shots, excellent use of the landscape, good pads and great baskets. Also there is on site camping.

If you make it through Ashland and it is past high country snow season in addition to Cougar Ridge (primitive course, gate open after June 1) Shale City is a wonderful primitive course that has many of the traits I used to describe Stub, but without the amenities (primitive course, natural pads, tone polls). If you get a local to show you the way Shale and Cougar are only about 25 minutes from eachother on some nice dirt roads. These two courses are in the mountains and on public lands, so be outdoor savy, leave no trace, and ask a local.

Comment

As Adam said, not a lot of courses on the Oregon coast. You can check this site out for a great map: http://www.oregondiscgolf.com/

I would definitely recommend playing Hornings and Milo in Portland (both have camping). Whistler's in Roseburg is an epic course that is never busy when I've been there and also has camping on site.

Comment

I would like to plug WOODMANSEE park in Salem. Its 18 tees, 9 discatcher baskets, but easy access from I5, very technical, has many nearby lunch spots. I recomend Lanxang @ Keubler and Comercial. Woodmansee will test your control and is very easy to find the flow to next tee. My personal best at Woodmansee is -4 on 18 holes. It is ment to be played as 18 holes with front 9 tees on left and back 9 tees on right. Good Luck.

Comment

Jerry Miller DGC @ Camp Taloali has cabins, bonfire, the santiam river, 18 holes in beautifully carved forest... 15 mins east of salem. Always being improved..

My opinion only....
          Northwest portland - Trojan, pier
          Northeast portland - dabney
          west of portland - horning's hideout
          east of portland - milo mciver
          salem area - jerry miller dgc @ camp taloali
          Albany/corvallis - bryant is the bomb but is usually flooded or closed during the winter, adair is 2nd best in the area
          eugene - dexter
          Roseburg - whistler's bend
          Grants pass - tom pearce/lake selmac

Comment

Originally posted by van isle player View Post
            Planning a road trip from Vancouver Island and want to play the best courses in the US Northwest.
            Like all kinds of course from tight wooded to wide open fairways...
            Any help would be greatly appreciated
            It seems like you are getting a list of pretty much every course in the NW. People have their favorites. I haven't played much outside of OR, and not even close to all the OR courses, BUT, the consensus generally is:

Milo McIver and Whistlers Bend are the two best courses in Oregon. They both offer camping. So if you really want to play the best in Oregon, most people would agree that you want to play these two gems for sure.

Post here when you have plans if you want a guide or someone to join you and you will likely get some responses.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
              It seems like you are getting a list of pretty much every course in the NW. People have their favorites. I haven't played much outside of OR, and not even close to all the OR courses, BUT, the consensus generally is:

Milo McIver and Whistlers Bend are the two best courses in Oregon. They both offer camping. So if you really want to play the best in Oregon, most people would agree that you want to play these two gems for sure.

Post here when you have plans if you want a guide or someone to join you and you will likely get some responses.
              +1

Whistlers has two yurts in addition to camping. Call 541 440 4500 to check reservations.

Comment

Originally posted by van isle player View Post
                Planning a road trip from Vancouver Island and want to play the best courses in the US Northwest.
                Like all kinds of course from tight wooded to wide open fairways...
                Any help would be greatly appreciated
                Which way are you headed?

Comment

Thanks....you guys Rock
                  Yurts for rent at a disc golf course ...pretty sweet.
                  I will post here for sure when I havbe a better idea when I will be around

Comment

jerry miller dgc has 10 cabins

Comment

You might want to check out the Inn at Lucky Mud for 24 or 48 holes. If you are taking WA SR4 to cut over to the coast at Astoria, you'll go right by here within 6.5 miles.

http://www.pdga.com/destination-disc-golf

Disclaimer (of sorts): I'm not financially connected with the inn. I just own a part of the land the course is on and mow the grass.
                      Last edited by Ol' Bob; March 30th, 2011, 09:37 AM.
                      The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                      ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Quote from Bob's link....

"Whistler's Bend, Roseburg, Oregon
                        http://www.pdga.com/course-details?id=720
                        Great mix of types of holes, beginning with tightly wooded yet fair woods holes of mostly short lengths, then a bunch of 400-500' tougher holes through more open area, a few baskets on the edge of a cliff leading down to a river. Then you go up a massively steep tight hole to tee off from one of the highest points above a basket ever. Great land for disc golf. Concrete tees. Not too tough to scare people away. Hard but not impossible to navigate without a map. One of the best courses in the world. Possibly the best land for a course ever, best views. Just needs better markings." Ben Calhoun

Comment

Someone forgot to tell Bob that we use www.dgcoursereview.com now.
                          Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Someone posted a review there that sez, "...Bob( the maintense guy and co-course designer)..."

I may be the main tense guy here, but I'm not a designer.
                            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

The PDGA directory also shows only 48 courses in WA State when there are 72 (not including 2 temporary ones)
                              Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Then update the pdga directory yourselves....

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X