X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dastardly Doubles Dilemma

So here is a question to be discussed or already has and someone can provide me with a link.

In random doubles Cali has always felt fairly fair. That one extra shot is usually a decent shot thanks to a practice shot. This makes it more valuable than a partners second shot as it would still be the partners first attempt at a shot. If we all accept this premise that brings up my question.

Are standard Cali rules still fair on a course with par 4s and 5s?

My thoughts:
    On a par 3 two drives or especially two putts stacks up well against another team but on a par 4 or 5 I don't believe this holds true. One extra shot is a huge disadvantage on a par 5 that requires multiple placement shots and a putt. The team still has 10 shots to make par the Cali only 6, whereas on a par 3 its 6 to 4. If you look at from the prospect of a birdie though the issue worsens. On a par 3 a team has 4 shots for bird and a Cali has 3 (and a strong three at that due to the "Practice Premise") I would call this all most even. Now a team trying for bird on a par 5 has 8 shots to a Cali players 5. Even calling it a strong 5 shots its still a 3 shot disadvantage.

My Solution:
    So I was thinking for Doubles at Shelton Springs that a Cali Player would receive 2 rethrows on par 5s, par 4s would be play as normal.

Do you think this is a fair solution? (Follow up: If you don't think this is fair, have you played the Springs?)
    sigpic

That sounds like a fair solution to me.
    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

When we had a Cali at Whistlers Bend, they were allowed two of everything. I can only think of one time that the Cali person took the pot out of countless rounds. A Cali player has the distinct disadvantage on large courses of being required to throw all the shots. A team splits the amount of attempts and is more fresh by the end of the round. If you have a course that has par 4 and 5's, a single player needs extra shots on the smaller holes to help make up for the disadvantage on the larger holes. I would suggest two extra shots per hole. Either to be used on drive, up shot, or putt. Or you could try a few ways in back to back weeks and see what style makes the cali more competetive

Comment

I've always been fond of the 'bankable' cali. Where you can roll an extra shot over if you didn't use it. Ex. Cali dude throws two shot on the first hole, while never using his extra. So he gets to roll his cali over to the next hole giving him to extra throws if he/she wishes to take them. If only one is used he still has the extra in the 'bank'. I like this because it allows for some strategy to be involved on longer and or tougher courses.

P.s. Typed on a cell phone, so if thier are typos piss off!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
          I've always been fond of the 'bankable' cali. Where you can roll an extra shot over if you didn't use it. Ex. Cali dude throws two shot on the first hole, while never using his extra. So he gets to roll his cali over to the next hole giving him to extra throws if he/she wishes to take them. If only one is used he still has the extra in the 'bank'. I like this because it allows for some strategy to be involved on longer and or tougher courses.

That's a really great idea.

Comment

Henh.
            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

P.s. Typed on a cell phone, so if thier are typos piss off!![/QUOTE]

How about the incorrect usage of a homophone?? 8P

Comment

This is a good idea Bruce, I like it. I don't think just because you draw the cali card you should have a disadvantage.
                Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                  This is a good idea Bruce, I like it. I don't think just because you draw the cali card you should have a disadvantage.
                  Agreed.

We discussed this during Dub's the other night and once it was explained to me I thought it was a great idea. This way the player uses the strokes when he needs them and doesn't lose them when he doesn't. A par 5 that is over 900 feet, half in and half out of the timber is a hole where things can go wrong in a hurry for a Cali player.

Comment

Not sure where you landed, but I've always felt that playing cali is a ripoff, every other team gets 2 from each mark and cali only gets one extra per hole...that's a rip. If every team gets two per mark a cali player should as well.
                    educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
                      Not sure where you landed, but I've always felt that playing cali is a ripoff, every other team gets 2 from each mark and cali only gets one extra per hole...that's a rip. If every team gets two per mark a cali player should as well.
                      Was toying with this idea for TT. I think it would balance the field for newer players but more experienced players would tear it up.

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
                        Two throws on every lie out of one arm would be a huge advantage, everything else being equal.

And . . . the other teams also paid twice as much in entry fees as the "Cali team" and the Cali doesn't split winnings (or an ace pot).

That's a pretty big advantage from a money standpoint, too.

Comment

From a top pro perspective, getting Cali is the bee's knees. With an extra shot on any hole I feel my chances are significantly better to birdie than a random pair of dudes who are just decent players. Plus, you don't have to split the winnings if you are Cali. I know when I play weekly WDGC dubs, I always hope for Cali, muahahaha! I don't see it as a disadvantage at all, except if you weren't very good and you relied on other players to make shots happen for you. Which is fine, and always fun anyways.
                          Team DISCRAFT
                          NW Sign Up
                          Gorilla Boy
                          Paragon Disc Golf
                          Odwalla

Comment

How about this idea?
                            Pro players get 1 extra shot per hole(Cali), advanced level player gets two(Nevada), and amateur players get 3 extra shots per hole(is there a term for this?). Players must pay for two entries in order to play the latter two choices, with the option to play Cali. TD's discretion as to what division said player qualifies for, if there is any dispute.
                            Any player acing on their second drive should only get 1/2 the acepot, or something.
                            Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

It has always been an understanding that cali gets one extra throw per hole or if wishes cali could pay up and get two. I do understand the situation on par 4 and par 5 courses or even if cali is a pro or and am player, but that is just the way the hand is dealt. In random doubles you can easily get two pros together and two am players together and that is never questioned..... It is just lucky or unlucky..........except the challenge the way it was laid before you.

Many courses have holes that could be considered as par 4 and par 5 but is played par 3 mainly to scoring convienance. I agree with dion..........i see many cali players take the pot and have a slight advantage. However, i did not keep track if those winners were from pros or ams.
                              WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE A SPIDER BITE.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X