Flattening out natural teepads? Best Method? Elevating baskets? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flattening out natural teepads? Best Method? Elevating baskets?

Curious if anyone has experience or knowledge on the best way to harden and flatten natural teepads? Doesnt have to be a long term method but something that works for a while if you know?

Also for elevating baskets, what methods have some of you found that work for elevating baskets not in a tree stump. Looking to raise a basket 2 feet off the ground. Thanks.

Want to hear other ideas than the ones I have in mind.

I've played on carpet tee pads and thought it worked really well, wet or dry. It was just old regular house carpet.

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
      Curious if anyone has experience or knowledge on the best way to harden and flatten natural teepads? Doesnt have to be a long term method but something that works for a while if you know?

Also for elevating baskets, what methods have some of you found that work for elevating baskets not in a tree stump. Looking to raise a basket 2 feet off the ground. Thanks.

Want to hear other ideas than the ones I have in mind.

1st idea rent a jumping jack or a skid plate machine from homedepot or lowes. or just get a piece of 12" by 12" 1/2" thick steel plate and weld a 3' or 4' piece of 1" pole to it and flatten to your hearts content.

as for the basket elevation maybe weld another piece of pipe on the basket, or maybe make a 2' tall box to sit the basket on??
      "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Not sure about the Tee Pads, but as far as elevated baskets go...

From this...

To this...

This was done this last weekend at Shelton Springs DGC. As far as the logistics of this go, you'll have to ask Morgan, aka Skookum.

Comment

Thanks Kevin for all your media savvy attention to detail. If your guys haven't seen Kevin's photos on dgcoursereview.com, check them out, but don't watch the slideshow at work it makes the rest of your day hell(spend your whole day staring out the window sighing wistfully, and not even for the Springs but to just play golf.)

Anyways if your surface is straight natural don't matter what you do, you just have to do it very frequently. Raking and compacting are very temporary against the PSI a plant foot has in a surface that softens and hardens with rain and/or heat.

If your looking to increase time between maintenances cheapest most effective is to just take a bag or two of concrete and spread it over the pad then wet it down. This will make a surface that stands up better to traffic but can be easily altered or removed if needed. It breaks up into a gravel like texture that interlocks well but can be move with a rake or shovel if needed. This method was use up at HJ Carroll about a year ago and as far as I know is still working well, they may have added or had a little gravel already on the pad I don't recall ATM.

...know any carpet installers? They almost always have to tear out and then pay to throw away carpet. So taking it off their hands is a win win. Carpet is generally accepted as a great temp pad and some say comparable or better than Flypads.
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah I know a few carpet dudes. But main concern is flattening the ground itself. As for elevated tee, that is a cool idea there.

Comment

The wedding cake! I like it. With the rocks it should hold up well. I was mentally envisioning it with timbers when I saw the original unraised photos, as I figured it wasn't intended to be left so...naked.

Comment

Originally posted by Skookum View Post
                ...know any carpet installers? They almost always have to tear out and then pay to throw away carpet. So taking it off their hands is a win win. Carpet is generally accepted as a great temp pad and some say comparable or better than Flypads.
                In Eugene the school district is going to replace a couple of Astroturf fields and so there's going to be a bunch of that stuff around here and used, hopefully, at Alton Baker.

Might even be better than regular carpet.

Last year when they replaced the turf on some other fields, they trucked the old turf to Oklahoma (or some such place) for incineration because they weren't allowed to put it in the local landfill.

Not exactly a carbon neutral solution. We can do better.

Comment

Well for flatting you can't beat the one two punch of a good mattock and hand tamper. A rake would be the optional third wheel as the mattock is quite capable of moving earth around after it has fulfilled it's primary function which is setting relative elevation.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KG_MCDGC View Post
                    Not sure about the Tee Pads, but as far as elevated baskets go...

From this...

To this...

This was done this last weekend at Shelton Springs DGC. As far as the logistics of this go, you'll have to ask Morgan, aka Skookum.

Sorry for the thread drift but that is awesome! I'm most likely going to Shelton Springs again this Thursday so I can't wait to see that and play the wonderful course that has become one of my favorites!
                    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Whats your timeline look like Silly? I might be able to sneak out of work on Thursday if the weather is nioce.
                      sigpic

Comment

Well I'm taking Johnny Cakes with me so we are going early, probably starting the round at 9 or 10 am. It would be cool if you could join.
                        Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Here in the rainy rain forest, I've found that getting rid of all topsoil and replacing and overburdening it with subsoil makes for the best 'natural' pads. I'm intrigued with the idea of putting used astroturf over them. If anyone can bring me some of that salvage, I'd like to try it. One sports field could do a lot of tee pads. That stuff probably should not be burned.

Any soil can be worked up by using it when it's really wet. Does water pass through astroturf?
                          Last edited by Ol' Bob; March 21st, 2011, 09:47 PM. Reason: Should NOT be burned.
                          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                            I'm most likely going to Shelton Springs again this Thursday so I can't wait to see that and play the wonderful course that has become one of my favorites!
                            Or, you could try to make it out for Wednesday Night Doubles at 5;30pm!

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic...

Comment

Highjacked!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X