X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourneys

I am looking to play some tournaments this year and have never entered anything before. Could someone tell me if there is anything I need to know or do before entering a tournament like the Rose City Open. Do I need to be a member of the PDGA to do this, should I be anyway? Any info would be much appreciated!

Join the PDGA, tournament entry fee's will be cheaper then. Get a current PDGA rule book. Learn it, live it, play it. What you dont know can hurt you in a tourney, I.E. stroke penalties. Most important... have fun!!
    Hukin since 1992
    DGOD #115

Comment

Be prepared. Have good rain gear and extra drying towels. Umbrella. Enough food and water to get you through rounds without losing energy. Also what Mikk said! =)
      www.rewindb.com

Comment

I would start with smaller tournies, and work your way up. Play a couple of one day, non-sanctioned events just to get a feel for tourney play. There may be some weekly events in your area starting up soon as well. As suggested earlier, join the PDGA. It will save you $10 per PDGA tourney that you play and will preserve your ratings so you can track your progress.

Comment

Originally posted by CMC206 View Post
          Be prepared. Have good rain gear and extra drying towels. Umbrella. Enough food and water to get you through rounds without losing energy. Also what Mikk said! =)
          Oddly enough I keep forgetting to cary snacks when I'm playing. This can effect your game play, if your stomache is a grumbling you cant be correctly focused!!
          I did learn to cary my extra towels in a ziplock bag. Very important thing to do.
          Hukin since 1992
          DGOD #115

Comment

Thanks for all the advise. Hope to see you out there soon!

Comment

The things to say bout tournament play. There's quite a bit but I'll put out some tidbits I've learned.

1.) If you aren't sure of the etiquette for a situation (how to place a marker when there's debris, casual relief, etc) ask. Assumptions can lead to bad habits and penalties. There's nothing wrong with asking. There's something very wrong with a 4 that could've been a 2 but you foot fault assuming you were outside 10 meters.

2.) Be prepared. While this means making sure you have all the necessary supplies, it also means your body. Stretch in the middle of rounds. Letting your body stiffen up while waiting to tee or for intersecting groups is redundant. Stay hydrated. Tournament day is crowded in my bag. I'll carry two sham wows, a lighter, ibuprofen, a few different types of band aids, a golf ball, a sharp pocket knife and a polishing stone. This accompanies snacks and water of course.

3.) Have fun. This sounds easy but can be very hard to remember when your in a vortex of bad shots and bad luck. Once you have stopped having fun you have lost. Walk off the course and go home since you already have defeated yourself. If you can shake off a 5 on a hole you never 4, your set. Your more than likely going to play the next hole with confidence and that is vital.
              4.) This is more of a respect thing. ALWAYS THANK THE TD AND VOLUNTEERS . You may not agree with some of the things they put into play (2 meter rule, weird drop zones, throw and distance etc). They provide us, the players, an opportunity to compete and experience the awesome atmosphere that is the disc golf community. Very few break even let alone make profit. If they do make money, its more than likely going back into disc golf anyway. A thank you means a lot when it's sincere.
              "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
              Cleveland Brown

Comment

Don't pay attention to the scores around you.
                Throw the shots you feel comfortable with.
                Don't fret over your score.

DON'T BRING GREASY SNACKS!!

HAVE FUN!
                When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

Also don't be afraid to tell someone(in a polite way) if there talking or have bad manners to be quietor to stop what there doing.
                  PDGA # 31451
                  2 Mini Aces
                  74 Aces
                  PEOPLE WHO HELP ME LOTS IN DISC GOLF
                  DISC GOLF OR DIE
                  BOB CABAL
                  DISCVANGO
                  JEFF ELLIOT
                  G-MAN
                  JORDAN LEWIS
                  JEFF HAGERTY
                  JAMES GARCELON
                  SAM GIBSON

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Comment

I second the "start with a smaller tournament" comment above. I started at Hab-Rec at Milo Mciver... that's a biggie for your first tournament. First round was awesome: I got to play with some good players, threw some good shots and got congrats from better players... second round I got dumped to the final card and, while I had fun playing for NOT LAST place I didn't have as much fun.

The second thing I suggest is playing with a big group on a crowded course. I kid you not. I played mostly single rounds and rounds with 1-2 guys for a long time and tournament speed and casual speed is still a complaint I have with most big tournaments.

Lastly, don't over indulge (drinking, smoking, eating)... and just have fun.
                    FORE! Youth 2011 http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournam...RE_Youth_2011/

Comment

What's the golf ball for General?

I carry one of those big rubber band excersise things so I can keep my arm warmed up. Nothing strenuous, just a couple stretches while I'm waiting. At the Chump Challenge last year, we had a 45 minute wait on a teepad, the other guys all got stiff and it showed on the next couple of holes.
                      Whenever I see a matress on top of a car, I think it's a prostitute making a house call!

Comment

Originally posted by Kris C View Post
                        I'm going to guess it's for knocking discs out of trees.

Comment

I carry one of those big rubber band excersise things so I can keep my arm warmed up. Nothing strenuous, just a couple stretches while I'm waiting. At the Chump Challenge last year, we had a 45 minute wait on a teepad, the other guys all got stiff and it showed on the next couple of holes.
                          I've seen several folks do basicaly the same thing with a golf towel.

Comment

Yeah, it's for knocking any discs out of tree's. There is nothing more humiliating then having to take a stroke penalty for the lost disc when you can see it 30 feet above the ground. I've saved numerous people from having their rounds go sour with those wonderful little balls...

...that doesn't sound right.
                            "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                            Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
                              Yeah, it's for knocking any discs out of tree's. There is nothing more humiliating then having to take a stroke penalty for the lost disc when you can see it 30 feet above the ground. I've saved numerous people from having their rounds go sour with those wonderful little balls...

...that doesn't sound right.
                              If you can see the disc, is it still lost?

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X