X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glow golf

hey, what is the best way to play glow out there at horning's hideout? glow discs, or glowsticks? If it's glowsticks, which are the best ones and where can i get them? I ask too many questions i know.... Just want to prepare for the 2 rounds of glow disc golf for the Oregon Deaf Championships next year... I have played several rounds of glow, but it was in pitch darkness with led lights taped to the underside of clear champion discs...

http://glowproducts.com/glowsticks/fatmini/

I was thinking the fat 1.5 inch would be a good one if looking for cheap but effective glow stick right? or should 3 inch? or is there a better product out there?

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
      http://glowproducts.com/glowsticks/fatmini/

I was thinking the fat 1.5 inch would be a good one if looking for cheap but effective glow stick right? or should 3 inch? or is there a better product out there?
      Dude, Bob has lights built into the baskets on the short course! He should freaking patent the idea and make himself some fat cash, then add a LLLOOOOONNNNGGGG course out there. Like 9000 feet
      long. And a hotel, and a bar, and a beach at the lake and, and, and, and, sorry caught in the snow and just dreaming of throwing disc somewhere warm.
      Training to be a bagger

Comment

Originally posted by smobro View Post
        Dude, Bob has lights built into the baskets on the short course!
        That doesn't help you find your unlighted disc in the underbrush.
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
          That doesn't help you find your unlighted disc in the underbrush.
          oh in that case, Glow plastic sounds like the winner to me. Any excuse to buy new plastic.
          Training to be a bagger

Comment

OK, for Glow there are quite a few options, from those crappy pre-lit discs to taped on leds. I was thinking ahead and as soon as Discraft discontinued the Photon, I tracked down some magnets, a challenger, Talon, Tracker, and a Buzzz. I gave the magnets to Rob and Rick (gave Rick the Tracker too), but kept the Talon, Buzzz and Challenger. I charged mine last night by car light and they stayed glowing well past the round. Rob has an innovaland wraith, it needs to be charged for every hole, but we carry an old camera flash and it works great. Why Discraft dumped the photon I'll never know, it works the best. Using small leds with watch batteries and clear packing tape on Z or champ plastic works very well. The clearer the disc the better the light; if you have a colored disc use a white led and you're set.
            As to the lights at Hornings, they're hit and miss. Most being under cover means some don't get enough light during the day to charge, but no problem. You can pick up some under the counter lights (I got 3 for 10 bucks at home depot), we'll just walk a few holes ahead and place them in the basket. They light the basket and shoot a beam of light right up the pole you can see from a long way off. One of the best things to do, we have found, is once you get the basket lit, turn off all other lights - NO FLASHLIGHTS - let your eyes get accustomed to the night. We do use some lights to light trees at a fairway turn, but again we place a light at the base and just light the tree. We have been playing Pier, Dabney and Hornings. Hornings is by far the best, little to no ambient light from surrounding neighborhoods. The snow has added to the challenge, but it is a blast to get a glow round in by 8 in the evening, rather than having to wait until 10 or later in the summer. If you'd care to join us snap drop me a pm and we'll set it up, in fact we'll be at Hornings this Sat. around 3 - it's so cool to start in the light and finish your first round in the dark.
            educate your thinking

Comment

I agree with Jman, Photon Glow was pretty great. That being said, the Gateway Superglow plastic is about the closest I have found in glow that is currently produced.

All of them pale in comparison to the old GlowFly I have. That thing is ridiculous.
              Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

Yeah thanks for the replies, the only glow rounds I have played in were total blindness, only using a flashlight at the tee for a few seconds to show where the basket is then turn it off before throwing, it really does work, you lock an image in your head and fire away, i actually got -9 in doubles and -2 in singles and this course was way longer than horning's first course. It works, locking that image in total darkness. Anyways, reason i really want to get something to tape to the discs is because the first round we will use both lights on the basket and the tee, 2nd round, no lights cept for the tees so baskets will be off, will allow flashlight to see where the basket is before tee offs but that's it, ofc if they have glow discs then thats fine... And unfortuately I live in NorCal right now but come to oregon often, gosh the sun here sucks, i need me some ice and snow LOL

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X