Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual Report Card

Hey all,

I feel like an honest appraisal of ones game is helpful in the improvement process. I like to grade myself in the following categories and see where my strengths and weaknesses lie. I invite you all to grade yourselfs as well.

Driving: A
    Distance - A+
    Accuracy - B
    Versatility - A
    Consistency - B

Midrange: B
    Versatility - B
    Scramble - A
    Approach - A
    Consistency - B

Putting: B
    Inside - B-
    Outside - B+
    Consistency - B-
    Comebacks - B

Mental Game: B
    Short Par 3: B
    Long Par 3: A
    Par 4 and Higher: B+

Overall Grade: B+

My strength certainly lies with my driving. My off the tee game is as solid as anyone's, if not a bit inconsistent. I scramble out of trouble well, but putting has always been my greatest deficiency. No wonder that in my highest rated rounds, I made most my putts from inside and outside the circle. Mentally I rely too much on good conditions to play my best game, when things aren't how I like them to be, i tend to let it affect me too much. Having strong Backhand and forehand is key.
    Last edited by RonTheWhip; February 9th, 2011, 09:00 PM.
    Team DISCRAFT
    NW Sign Up
    Gorilla Boy
    Paragon Disc Golf
    Odwalla

I have never thought about assessing my game as if it were a report card. Lets see how I do.

Driving: B+
    Distance: A
    Accuracy: B
    Versatility: B+
    Consistency: B+

Midrange: B
    Versatility: B-
    Scramble: B
    Approach: A
    Consistency: B

Putting: B-
    Inside: B+
    Outside: C+
    Consistency: B-
    Comebacks: B

Mental Game: B+
    Short Par 3: A
    Long Par 3: B
    Par 4 and Higher: B

Overall: B

My putting, like last year (and the year before) is what kills me. I once heard a saying "Good putters are made through dedication. Great putters are born that way." I will never be a great putter. Right now I'm not even a good putter. I'm an okay putter with moments of brilliance. The thing that has really helped me is my mental game. Last year I would've given myself a C on my mental game. I would get distracted by other peoples throws. I would try to play their game or follow their lines. I would get frustrated and disgusted with myself for the tiniest of errors. I would throw my discs at my bag like it was their fault. I spent a lot of time last year working on these aspects. Instead of cursing and becoming infuriated, I know just smile, clap my hands and continue forth. I figured that if instead of getting mad, I can just have a smile on my face. That smile brought me my best rounds of the year at every course I played (2 under at Downriver, 6 under at Highbridge, 11 under at Corbin, 3 under at Faragut Wreckreator, 4 under at Faragut Northstar and finally par at Faragut Double Black Diamond)

Next year, aiming for A's overall!
    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
    Cleveland Brown

Comment

When you say
      Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
      Hey all,
      I feel like an honest appraisal of ones game is helpful in the improvement process. I like to grade myself in the following categories and see where my strengths and weaknesses lie. I invite you all to grade yourselves as well.
      You are taking into consideration age and physical condition, Right? Having realistic goals is predicated on your abilities. I will never be able to drive as far as Dion or weight 175 ( I figured out long ago that I would never throw it 325+ feet so I had better be able to throw it really close from 250) The accuracy stats do translate from level to level

An interesting question
      When you stand on the tee; do you only think about parking it or do you think about managing the hole.

Tee= middle of the fairway and or avoid places that add to your score.
      Pressure 3-5

Up= Someplace I can putt from. the better the throw = less pressure on the putt
      Pressure 2 (close)-5 (outside my range)

Putt= The more confidence I have from greater distances = less pressure
      Pressure 2 (close)-5 (outside my range)

Bottom line improve your putting by increasing your distance and accuracy and your scores will drop

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
      ...Mentally I rely too much on good conditions to play my best game, when things aren't how I like them to be, i tend to let it affect me too much.
      So Dion you are human after all. It's comforting to know that a player whos rating is 150 points higher then mine struggles with (or at least times) parts of this game that I do

Confidence is key! So, I propose a rethink of the process. Think of it backwards How do I leave myself the easiest or least pressured putt possible.
      rewindb.com

Comment

I'll take the bait... but you set the bar high. If the way you've been playing earns you a B+, I'm not sure that I am going to like what I see when I evaluate my own game.

Driving: B
        Distance - B+
        Accuracy - B
        Versatility - A
        Consistency - B

Midrange: B-
        Versatility - B
        Scramble - A
        Approach - B
        Consistency - B

Putting: B+
        Inside - B
        Outside - B+
        Consistency - B
        Comebacks - A

Short Par 3: B
        Long Par 3: A

Overall Grade: B

I would say the strength of my game off the tee has really been versatility. I have a strong forehand and have really improved my ability to shape backhand drives this year, with both drivers and midrange discs. A lot of other players have admired my putting stroke, but I still strugle with confidence and consistency. I have really felt a big weakness in my upshots lately and have started working on my short game again. Mentally I really was on a roller coaster last year. In far too many tournaments last year I allowed sloppy play to take me out of contention despite shooting some of the hottest rounds on the course. I'll take the high highs but the low lows seem to point to some more work to be done. I have been trying to break the 1000 rated mark for a couple years now, but I still haven't found the magic pill.

PS Dion I think it is very admirable that a player of your caliber and success is so quick to be self critical and hungry to improve. Our sport won't take it's next step forward professionally / athleatically / artistically without good players working to get great.

Comment

What are the criteria for your grades... putting is pretty straight forward (the percentage you make).
          Throw What You Know.
          "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
          PDGA# 45989

Comment

I'm assuming this is with perspective to our own individual skill:

Distance - A
            Accuracy - B
            Versatility - B+
            Consistency - C

Midrange: B+
            Versatility - B
            Scramble - B
            Approach - C
            Consistency - B

Putting: B-
            Inside - B
            Outside - B+
            Consistency - B
            Comebacks - B

Mental Game: C
            Short Par 3: A
            Long Par 3: A-

Overall Grade: B

I definitely have to work on my mental game and my putting. As soon as my mental game starts going down, my whole round goes down.

I'm pretty confident with my midranges though (Buzzz) and that helps a lot. That and distance.
            Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

Comment

Driving: B+
              Distance - A- (380+)
              Accuracy - B+
              Versatility - B+ (a more consistent forehand has been a big help)
              Consistency - B (have a tendency to over think a drive that I should be able to hit w/ eyes closed)

Versatility - B+ (forehand flicks, thumbers, and tomahawks)
              Scramble - B
              Approach - A- (can make a run for it from <100 with confidence)
              Consistency - B+

Inside - B+
              Outside - B (jump putts from 35+ are falling with greater frequency)
              Consistency - B+ (mental confidence is getting much better)
              Comebacks - A- (more confident with running it from 40-60 & being left with a 15-20ft comeback)

Short Par 3: A (if its w/in 280... should be a 2 w/o question)
              Long Par 3: B- (have great drives but place to much mental stress on the 2nd shot)
              Par 4 and Higher: n/a ( there are no recognized par 4s in my neck of the woods... in my opinion there should be... Riverside 2, Geezer way @ Lakewood, and Seatac 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18)

Overall Grade: B+ (PDGA rating of 955 as of 1/25/11)

At this point I feel that mental game is my biggest hurdle. I have improved a great deal over the last season. I have found I have been able to come back from a boogie to a birdie on the next hole with greater ease and more relaxation. I too, like Dion, depend on hospitable conditions to play well. Don't like the rain... grip issues with hands and tee boxes and hate (HATE) putting with any kind of wind. But with time and practice... the sky in the limit. My goal is 980 by 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy Frieling View Post
                Y'all can do this anyway you want to, I was trying to compare myself to the top level however. Try to look at the bigger picture every now and then to see where you really are. If I ever found myself tempted to award my game an A, I would stop and think, "hmm, if Nikko is the best player in the game today, and his putting is worthy of an A, then I certainly don't deserve an A."

I consider myself a third tier player. Currently ranked 53rd in the world, but placing in the top 50 in both points and cash on the 2010 season. Top tier of players includes: Dave, Nikko, Uli, Doss, McCabe and those other 1030 players. These are the guys winning NTs and Majors, and doing it regularly. Second tier of players includes: Sexton, Koling, McBeth, Crabtree, and the rest of the 1020 crew. These guys kill the local scene, place well and occasionally even win the big events. I'm in the next group - win a lot of local events, even get some A tier wins (although I haven't yet), place in the cash at big events.

Most of the players in the NW haven't been exposed to the level of play that the top guys perform consistently. They are good, insanely good.

I allowed myself a few A's based on what I've seen the top players do. As far as distance goes, I earned the right to award myself an A+, after winning the 2010 World Distance title (against folks like Avery, Garret, Koling, Bratten, Jarvis bros and Hemmings). My versatility with having both a backhand and forehand drive makes me a strong threat on any hole, and my ability to get out of troubled situations is right up there as well. I'm just an "average" pro putter, who makes slightly more outside putts then would be expected in a any given round. I'm a very streaky putter, sometimes I'm an A all day, sometimes I'm a C from everywhere and back again.

Dave, Nikko, Uli, and McCabe are A putters every single round...so sick to watch them make everything...

Its fun to compare yourselves to the best in the game. Sometimes a bit disheartening, but hopefully inspirational. For those ams who have posted or yet to post, try and give yourself a score for your own peer group, and a general score as well.

Have fun with it, and try to improve, thats the whole point of this anyway

D
                Last edited by RonTheWhip; February 9th, 2011, 10:34 PM.
                Team DISCRAFT
                NW Sign Up
                Gorilla Boy
                Paragon Disc Golf
                Odwalla

Comment

F.
                  We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Thanks Dion

Yes, most certainly you should compare yourself to the National elite and being considered one of the Regional elite makes you a benchmark for the locals.

At some point each of us needs to define our goals vs our expectations. You should measure yourself to the competition in your particular division. For me it just about everybody From
                    Paul Wright, Sandy, Bob Brown, Jordy, Treeman and Even Ol Don Richter are all good benchmarks for me to strive towards. Now if I could just beat the Chef
                    rewindb.com

Comment

I'm thinking an absolute scale for overall grades for competitive tournament players who play at least 6-7 sanctioned events a year might look like this:

Diamond 1040+
                      Gold Star 1035-1039
                      Silver Star 1030-1034
                      Bronze Star 1025-1029
                      A+ 1008-1024
                      A. 992-1007
                      A- 975-991

B+ 958-974
                      B. 942-957
                      B- 925-941

C+ 908-924
                      C. 892-907
                      C- 875-891
                      D+ 858-874
                      D. 842-857
                      D- 825-841

For women, add 100 points to your rating and use the men's scale. For men and women over 39, add 10 points to your rating for every 5 years over age 40 and use the above scale. So I'm turning 58 next month with a 922 rating so my equivalent would be 962 in the B+ range.

BTW, the 10 point loss in rating for every 5 years past age 40 is a real statistic from ratings data gathered over 10 years.
                      Last edited by Chuck Kennedy; February 10th, 2011, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                        I'm thinking an absolute scale for overall grades for competitive tournament players who play at least 6-7 sanctioned events a year might look like this:

Diamond 1040+
                        Gold Star 1035-1039
                        Silver Star 1030-1034
                        Bronze Star 1025-1029
                        A+ 1008-1024
                        A. 992-1007
                        A- 975-991

B+ 958-974
                        B. 942-957
                        B- 925-941

C+ 908-924
                        C. 892-907
                        C- 875-891
                        D+ 858-874
                        D. 842-857
                        D- 825-841

For women, add 100 points to your rating and use the men's scale. For men and women over 39, add 10 points to your rating for every 5 years over age 40 and use the above scale. So I'm turning 58 next month with a 922 rating so my equivalent would be 962 in the B+ range.

BTW, the 10 point loss in rating for every 5 years past age 40 is a real statistic from ratings data gathered over 10 years.

Well, if I went by this scale (considering I am not a PDGA member yet). My overall rating would be a B+. I compiled all my statistics from my past 6 tournaments this last year and I would have a rating of 963! Pretty good considering that I melt down in tournaments. That damn mental game thing again.
                        Last edited by General Scales; February 10th, 2011, 09:15 AM. Reason: Problems with the English language
                        Cleveland Brown

Comment

I love it when students grade themselves...oh, did ya hear...they took objectivity out of the American lexicon...really

Parks...I love you man...
                          educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
                            F.
                            Well played
                            Cleveland Brown

Comment

Distance - B-
                              Accuracy - B+
                              Versatility - C+
                              Consistency - A-

Versatility - A-
                              Scramble - B
                              Approach - B+
                              Consistency - B-

Inside - B+
                              Outside - C
                              Consistency - B+
                              Comebacks - B

Mental Game: B+
                              Short Par 3 - A
                              Long Par 3 - B
                              Par 4 and higher - C

Overall grade: B+

This is based on my skill levels compared to the skill levels of players I consider to be in "my level" of play. I try to play with people who's game is better than mine. It helps to push me and tends to make me play better. (Mainly because I am trying to keep up with my friends) Overall my game has improved over the last year. My putting has been getting better the last year as is my overall driving skill. I am getting more distance off of the tee pad and learning when to put it in the fairway as opposed to trying to crush it on every throw. If I can get two good throws, I leave myself with a makeable putt.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X