X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting

I am starting to learn the correct way to putt and want to know if anyone has any tips, tricks or suggestions? I am learning to do a stance with very little space between my feet and making sure my knees are bent in the fighting position. I am trying not to bend my elbow but feel very awkward in my throw. I have watched some videos and been called a geek for it but I still feel I cant quite get the correct way to putt. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions! 8)

-Melissa

straight elbow = push putt. dave feldberg is probably the best push putter...a no lack of video of him.
    2 important bits of advice: (1) go with a form that feels comfortable...you might need to slightly modify what you learn to personalize your putt, (2) work on being confident in short (<10-12 feet) putts, these are always THE most important. And practice, practice, practice!!!!
    good luck!

Comment

I don't have the physical push to get any distance at all. I can spin putt easily as well from the max distance of my push putt and beyond. Therefore, I spin putt. In any event, the more I practice, the better I do. I watched Feldberg's video several times, and I just could not push far enough. Decrepitude said I should give that way up. Dave is right when he says, if you're going to spin putt, then don't think about your putt, just do it.
      The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
      ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I have been watching those videos but just cant seem to get my stance and throw to line up, I just feel like I am doing it wrong. It is going straighter but to the left, maybe I am not releasing it correctly. It appears most people start by having the throwing hand up, then down to your waist and then back up. I heard from one of my teammates to throw up, when you are putting should you be aiming up? Maybe I am thinking to hard about it, maybe I should require a few beers in me before I start my practice. Thanks for the advice I definitely need to find something comfortable, its probably why I feel awkward and that could be most of my problem.

Comment

Dave teaches if you prefer not to push putt w a straight arm an alternative is the Cam Todd style putt. Elbow still locked but as Cam says with only a bit of irony "like a terridactyl arm." The video is linked in the video thread on this site. I'll edit this post to include the link in a minute.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtO3pwFesZ0&NR=1

Even though you've seen it I'll put it here so it's easy to find.
          Last edited by Bryon_Harris; February 7th, 2011, 05:41 PM. Reason: link

Comment

I think I have seen that video and have been trying that method. The correlation really seems to help me a lot. Maybe just putting things together is where I am really struggling. That and I am sure there might be some little things I am screwing up on. Maybe I should find a disc golf class....lol. 8)

So far out of all the videos I have seen, that is my favorite and has helped me the most.

Comment

Thanks Bryon for the video posting, I bet it may help others who might read this thread as well. 8)

Thanks again for posting it and the tips!

Comment

Give this article a read

read. practice. read some more. Great info here.

http://www.discgolfassoc.com/education/putting.html
                The Frisbee is the mirror to the soul.

-M. Burns

Comment

I find this video kinda funny... almost like there is a little competition between Cam and Dave in terms of whose form is better. I have been practicing the Feldberg push putt for a few months, but the video I learned it from was passworded so I can't link it unfortunately. I find it works really well, unless I am in heavy wind, in which case there is no choice but to spin putt. Both seem to be necessary skills to have, as the push putt is INCREDIBLY reliable from <25 feet, but outside the circle I have needed to incorporate a jump and a bit of elbow action to actually get it to the basket.

Comment

I took a class with Feldberg last April when he was in Spokane to play the Downriver Open. The only thing he changed in my form was my thumb placement on top of the disc. I've always putted with a straight arm motion, just kept having wobbles since I couldn't get consistent thumb release.

I wish I'd take one with Cam Todd. I can't get the pop putt motion down unless I carry past my lie. The closeness of my elbow to my waist just seems to slow my putts down.

I can push about 35 to 40 feet with no carrying over. After that, I do the step through motion as opposed to actually jumping.

My advice, learn ALL putting styles (spin, push, side-arm, pop, etc). I can't tell you how many times being able to putt in so many different styles has saved me from having a terrible round. Also, practice. Especially with the push putts. It gets frustrating when you start losing distance but gaining accuracy. Eventually, however, the distance will come back to you. Last, but not least, have fun. Make a game out of practicing. Find some friends, put down a few bucks and see if you can take their money. That way, if you do end up taking their money from them in a tournament, you will be used to it.
                    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                    Cleveland Brown

Comment

Just throw at the basket.
                      Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
                        If I hadn't seen you smash putt after putt in all our competitive rounds I'd call foul on your post, but as it is, you are a nasty putter, so maybe there is some truth to your words.

It is possible to "over think" putting. Simple affirmations and clear singular visualizations seem to work well for me. Like often I tell my self, "up and down" or "on the pole" and imagine my putt going in.

Find a comfortable, easy to duplicate motion and stick with it. I try to warm up and find my rhythm before each round. If I don't, my first few 20 fosters all do different things...
                        Team DISCRAFT
                        NW Sign Up
                        Gorilla Boy
                        Paragon Disc Golf
                        Odwalla

Comment

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
                          If I don't, my first few 20 fosters all do different things...
                          I find after a few Foster's, my putts start doing different things. I couldn't imagine what would happen after 20...
                          "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                          Cleveland Brown

Comment

Damn, I wish I'd thought of that.
                            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

... this is actually brilliant advice... obviously there is technique involved and watching videos, taking lessons, etc. can all help the game... but dangit, it is truly a simple thing, especially when a person is at the beginning of their game (to redirect this and make it pertinent to melissa again), and sticking to the basic concept of throwing it at the basket can do no one any harm...

... on a related note, a couple years ago my friends and family got super into the bean bag game (it has an actual name that i refuse to use... but it's the one where you set up tilted boards with a hole cut out like 30 feet apart or something and a scoring system very much like horseshoes)... and i found that i kicked serious ass at the bean bag game... soon i had the epiphany that if i could throw a bean bag at a tiny hole with such accuracy then there was no reason that putting at a basket should be such a problem for me... as soon as this epiphany hit i became a much better putter... throw the bean bag in the hole, throw the disc in the basket... keep it simple...
                              "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                              Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X