X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
    Does par even really matter that much, in all honesty? I mean yeah it helps the ego but most of or casual rounds out there we call EVERYTHING a par 3, it simplifies things and sure it might hurt the go to shoot a 10 over but in tournament play you are comparing your score to the other people you play with, so par essentially can be anything and it won't change the outcome... Just my two cents.
    This is a debate that i think might linger on this here interweb forum for all eternity, I'll throw in my opinion. Par matters for some people therefor why not keep non-par 3 pars, courses are getting longer every year with larger parks being used for making disc golf courses. I personally have no problem keeping Milo's two par 5's and five par 4's in my head while scoring. Besides if you nabbed a 4 on the 1100 foot monster out at Milo would you want to post it here a rightfully earned birdie, or think "darn, I got a bogey," as a par 3?
    PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
    dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Olmsted View Post
      Besides if you nabbed a 4 on the 1100 foot monster out at Milo would you want to post it here a rightfully earned birdie, or think "darn, I got a bogey," as a par 3?

Call it a four on that hole. It's impressive. It doesn't need the birdie label to make it so.

Comment

And Ken that is an awesome start at Milo, I went out yesterday for a few quick holes before the Mother's day festivities began and started 3,2,2. It was a great feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          Call it a four on that hole. It's impressive. It doesn't need the birdie label to make it so.
          What if you are talking to someone who doesn't know that hole or that course? Someone across the country who has never been to Milo and recognizes that not all holes are par 3's, or someone that only counts par as 3? Wasn't there some debate about the record at Horning's Canyon course due to this issue? If people continue to call every single hole a par 3, when the designers have it listed as something else, or visa versa, it only leads to confusion.

Comment

Pffft... I think they are both legitimate par 5s. I believe hole 6w (1 of 27) was changed to a par 4 to keep the course par at 60 when 7w should also be a legitimate 4. What is wrong with par at 61, I could never quite figure out.
            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

I understood that par in DG was based on what a 1000 rated player would average on a particular hole. If this is the case I would think the par should be 4. Most 1000 rated players should be able to play the hole for an easy 4 with a chance at 3.

Comment

A couple of months ago I was playing pier and I was with Erika while she walked the dog. It was pretty late and very dark. I love playing pier in the pitch black for some reason. I threw a drive on 15 that hit a tree about 30 feet shy and slightly to the right of the short placement. I left my lie and walked up to the basket to visualize my line. My only good option was a thumber and it took what seemed like a eternity to hear any sort of sound, until I heard the crash.

Erika was up there first and told me it had stuck. That has been the only time I birdied that hole to date.

I did also get a nice bird on 14 a couple of weeks ago while playing a bag tag match with Mike Ward. Straight up the middle around the two gaurd trees to the left and had it skip under the big bushy tree just left of the long basket pin high, nailed the 30 footer.

Comment

I think they are both legitimate par 5s. I believe hole 6w (1 of 27) was changed to a par 4 to keep the course par at 60 when 7w should also be a legitimate 4. What is wrong with par at 61, I could never quite figure out.
                  Par was determined based on pro scoring averages from the BSF.

My best Birdie was #12 at Adair during a tournament. Horrible 1st drive and then hit chains on a long uphill skip w. my Firebird.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                    Pffft... I think they are both legitimate par 5s. I believe hole 6w (1 of 27) was changed to a par 4 to keep the course par at 60 when 7w should also be a legitimate 4. What is wrong with par at 61, I could never quite figure out.
                    Hole 23 is definitely a par 5, in either position. <boast> I've scored 4 4s in the long this year, three were drop-ins, and one was all air shots as well! </boast>Before this year, I don't think I ever got better than a 6 when it was in the long.

As for Hole 1, I could go either way on that one. I like it being a 5 because it makes my front nine not seem as though I shot too poorly (front nine is always my worst!). However, to take a five on that, I pretty much have to make two mistakes. If I can make two mistakes and still par, I think the hole is a little too easy, or the par might be set wrong. In my opinion, it's right on the border, it's an easy par five, or a tough par 4. I think the MPO division should treat the hole as a par 4 and other divisions are probably going to want to look at it as a par 5. I've never gotten a three on the hole, I've had a couple of 50 footers for three, but I've missed them. I'm determined to be the first southpaw to 3 it though!

BSF West Hole 7, when moved back, is a par 4. Not a difficult one, especially if you play it with course management in mind, but still a four.

I've had quite a few good birdies over the last couple of weeks. I birdied the peninsula hole at Trojan with a Roc, that was fun. I birdied hole 8 at Pier with a Roc last week, that was pretty bitchin. I birdied my "Nemesis Hole" at Milo, hole #6, on Saturday with a forehand shot, put it about 20' from the pin, that was probably the most exciting shot for me in a long time. I'm really bad at forehand shots, and I normally have to struggle for a par on that hole.

Oh, and playing Milo with Flash last week we both consecutively birdied hole #9 (off stoner mountain down to the water). I've never seen two players birdie that hole back-to-back before, and the fact that it was one lefty and one righty made it pretty awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzel View Post
                      I understood that par in DG was based on what a 1000 rated player would average on a particular hole. If this is the case I would think the par should be 4. Most 1000 rated players should be able to play the hole for an easy 4 with a chance at 3.
                      That makes no sense, sorry buddy, what about the holes that get bird'd more than half the time, should we change that to a par 2? And I've watched more than my share of Pros on that hole - 6W/#1 out of 27, there are a few that get their sights on a 3 but from like 25-75 feet, there is rarely ever anything under 25 for a 3. Most get the easy 4 or 5 yes, but that's the same thing as ball golf. Par 5, there are way more eagles on a par 5 in Golf than there are in Disc Golf, why prevent the chances at an Eagle? #1 is a tough hole for those who don't have awesome power and control and to string together 3 great shots to get a putt for a par 4, that sucks dog... I want birdie 4!

7W is a good example, it is 100 times easier to get a par 4 on this hole than #1/#6W, birdie 3's are wayyyyyyy easier as well, heck 2's even happen on this hole, why make it a par 4 when I know more than half the Pro field get a 3 on this hole? HMMM HMMM?
                      Last edited by snap7times; May 11th, 2009, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                        And Ken that is an awesome start at Milo, I went out yesterday for a few quick holes before the Mother's day festivities began and started 3,2,2. It was a great feeling.
                        Wow, 3-2-2 is a smoking start. My 2nd shot on hole 1 went into the middle of that little tree near the crest of the hill which prevented the look at 3.

Nonetheless, I can't imagine seeing many deuces on the 2nd hole in the long position. What route do you take?

I tried the forehand roller up the skinny gap and then hit a long, straddle jump putt from right by the short position.

Comment

Originally posted by KenGilmore View Post
                          Nonetheless, I can't imagine seeing many deuces on the 2nd hole in the long position. What route do you take?
                          I birdied it on Friday with a lefty hyzer. Took a really, really flippy driver up the left path, gave it moderate power and lots of hyzer, it slowly flipped up to flat and then contacted the ground around the short placement. Plus 25 foot skip and I had a 25' putt.

I really like seeing people throw the tight gap, it actually works quite often. Bart told me he almost aced it that way a few days ago!

Comment

best birdie

I got a bird at HH Canyon course #12. Tough shot through the trees with the man made wall to the right. Drove it 3 ft from the basket. I couldn't believe it when I walked up! Won CTP at Brennen Jones open Intermediate Division. I'll be back next year for the event. It was my first event and I had a blast. I'll be back next year. Looking forward to the 3rd course being completed!

Comment

Originally posted by gwillim View Post
                              I birdied it on Friday with a lefty hyzer. Took a really, really flippy driver up the left path, gave it moderate power and lots of hyzer, it slowly flipped up to flat and then contacted the ground around the short placement. Plus 25 foot skip and I had a 25' putt.

I really like seeing people throw the tight gap, it actually works quite often. Bart told me he almost aced it that way a few days ago!
                              I picked up a few birds on this placement this winter throwing a backhand roller through the left path.

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                                Which #16?
                                And that brings up another topic, Hole #6W or original #1 was changed to a Par 4 last year for the BSF, which I disagreed with, so based on the casual play, that was a birdie, based on BSF 2008, that was par, wonder if Flash will chime in on this and tell us if its going back to par 5 or staying a brutal par 4?

My best birds at Milo have been at 7E, parked 2nd shot for under 10 foot putt. 25 footer for 3 on 9E aka, the genius. Keep missing the bird opps on the super long 14E...

6W... AKA 1 of 27 is a par 4 for the fling. and 7W in the long position is now a par 4 as well.
                                "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X