X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding the drive..video and pix

Finaliy I got some insite to my drive and where I get my power from. I got some good Hi-def video while playing at White River DGC. This video is of hole 17 red. The disc is a 170g Discmania rush. Yes its the perfect disc for this drive. I aced with it christmas morning on the same hole..

I then extracted some pix from the video. I discovered that my real power is from my left foot through my shoulders and out my arm. The swing is the aim not the power!! See the pix below..

Today using this information I was able to park the same distance with a putter!!
    Last edited by Mikk; January 4th, 2011, 07:04 PM. Reason: Had to fix pictures
    Hukin since 1992
    DGOD #115

I'm not sure I would agree with you. After watching the video way more times than I care to admit, I noticed that your follow through has a lot of inertia. I believe that is the source of your power, hip rotation and proper follow through. The left foot through your shoulders theory, from my perspective, is just proper footwork to allow maximum hip rotation.

Maybe way off here, but that is what I got from watching the video

Comment

Originally posted by mine all mine View Post
      I'm not sure I would agree with you. After watching the video way more times than I care to admit, I noticed that your follow through has a lot of inertia. I believe that is the source of your power, hip rotation and proper follow through. The left foot through your shoulders theory, from my perspective, is just proper footwork to allow maximum hip rotation.

Maybe way off here, but that is what I got from watching the video
      I have to look at the photo spread taken from the video later. You might be correct. However I was able to do a 1 foot drive (stomping my right foot) with a putter to the basket. Not using a more standard cross chest rip but more like trying to pull start a weed whacker if that makes more sence. Strange too that this seemed to help my grip, I could feel the disc sit more firmly into the pads of my fingers.
      Hukin since 1992
      DGOD #115

Comment

One thing I noticed was how your free arm was floating out to your side a bit. Try keeping it tucked up to your body until your follow thru, then let it go free. It should give you a bit more reach back and open your range of motion a bit more.

This is the same advise I got from Des Reading last year at the Fling. Worked wonders for me.
        Last edited by Will of Doom; January 4th, 2011, 02:55 PM. Reason: My spelling sucks.
        According to Mazza I have a sissy arm

Comment

Thanks Will I see what you mean. I had some other players say the same thing today. Also I have been trying to reach back more into my rip. Actualy its like a push back making sure I get my arm and shoulder back as much as possible.
          Hukin since 1992
          DGOD #115

Comment

Originally posted by Mikk View Post
            However I was able to do a 1 foot drive (stomping my right foot) with a putter to the basket. Not using a more standard cross chest rip but more like trying to pull start a weed whacker if that makes more sence. Strange too that this seemed to help my grip, I could feel the disc sit more firmly into the pads of my fingers.
            This feeling is the start of real distance and accuracy. It means you are actually "hitting" some of the disc, as in actually transferring your power into the disc. This is the opposite of what you are doing in the video, which is strong arming the disc and getting way ahead of it with your body movement.

Keep working on whatever is giving you this feeling until you have it worked into muscle memory before working on other things. Once it becomes second nature, you will be able to fine tune your drive to facilitate this strong feel.
            We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Keep in mind that 'reach back' is far less important than shoulder turn. Where you are pushing your shoulder back in your back swing, it's my belief that this is much more important than "reaching back.'

Comment

Not being a backhand thrower, I cant input too much, but from seeing others throw I would say your arm swing power looks good. get more a run up and hip swing into your throw and you would throw much farther. Get your whole body into it to add that mass to your overall power
                All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                  Keep in mind that 'reach back' is far less important than shoulder turn. Where you are pushing your shoulder back in your back swing, it's my belief that this is much more important than "reaching back.'
                  Definitely not reaching but a push, actualy more like a forceful push backwards using the top part of my right shoulder.
                  Last edited by Mikk; January 4th, 2011, 08:56 PM. Reason: spelling idiot
                  Hukin since 1992
                  DGOD #115

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
                    This feeling is the start of real distance and accuracy. It means you are actually "hitting" some of the disc, as in actually transferring your power into the disc. This is the opposite of what you are doing in the video, which is strong arming the disc and getting way ahead of it with your body movement.

Keep working on whatever is giving you this feeling until you have it worked into muscle memory before working on other things. Once it becomes second nature, you will be able to fine tune your drive to facilitate this strong feel.
                    Its amazing the feeling of power developement when not "strong arming" the drive. I realy feel it in my finger tips way earlier in my swing. Its almost a pendilum(sp?) like feeling. Also I'm trying to put the power to the back end of the disc in my hand and letting that transfer out to the other end of it.
                    Hukin since 1992
                    DGOD #115

Comment

I have so many videos of me throwing discs yet the only ones that ever seem to upload to my comp are the crappiest ones. At least quality wise.

http://www.youtube.com/user/natbraha.../2/Vf-F7-82MBQ

In this video, we are playing Highbridge Hole 2. It plays straight up that hill and hyzers hard left at the end. The disc I am throwing is a 176 FLX Drone. A little early on the release but still left me parked for a ten foot deuce.

I've noticed that on all my shots going up, I have a much smaller X step before I launch the disc into orbit. Let the destruction of my technique start.
                      "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                      Cleveland Brown

Comment

I would't dare criticize someone's form myself but I can comment on the last thing you said about throwing uphill. You mentioned a smaller step which. This may be important but I think it point's to more of a general rule for throwing with elevation.

When I throw up a slope, for me the key is to quicken my entire motion to a degree corresponding with the slope. The reverse holds true when throwing downhill for me; use a slower motion, (match slope of land of course) and try to throw normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryon_Harris View Post
                          When I throw up a slope, for me the key is to quicken my entire motion to a degree corresponding with the slope. The reverse holds true when throwing downhill for me; use a slower motion, (match slope of land of course) and try to throw normal.
                          I have noticed that when I'm throwing up hill, I tend to slow down my run up till the very end. I think this stems from me wanting to hover the disc at the angle of the slope. Usually I try to throw it on the same grade as the slope just ten to fifteen feet high off the ground. This seems to cut out the dreaded stall out factor.
                          "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                          Cleveland Brown

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X