ODSA or Northwest Disc Golf News? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
    My bad, the Geek impulse was too much to resist!
    Yer post was very informative. I didn't know it was 1994 that the name switched. What do they need to change on the newer system in 09?

    I've heard 2 broadcasts that weren't tests: 1) was for a lightening storm warning and 2) for a funnel cloud. The volume was pretty low and there was a lot of noise which made it kinda hard to make out the words. It sounded like the New York subway announcements.
    "Operator! Give me the number for 911! " - Homer S.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Jet View Post
      Yer post was very informative. I didn't know it was 1994 that the name switched. What do they need to change on the newer system in 09?

      I've heard 2 broadcasts that weren't tests: 1) was for a lightening storm warning and 2) for a funnel cloud. The volume was pretty low and there was a lot of noise which made it kinda hard to make out the words. It sounded like the New York subway announcements.
      Well, the first thing is to get rid of the damn scratchy analog audio and distribute digital audio that people can actually HEAR for once.

      Behind the scenes it is mostly an upgrade in equipment so we can access the equipment over a LAN network and print the reports out on any printer that we want instead of the damn thermal paper that fades over time. Plus it will integrate into our other radio systems much better.

      We have run Amber alerts and weather alerts and even one time when 911 went down for Vancouver... It was originally to allow the President to be able to address the entire country in case of nuclear attack, but it has never been used by a President all the way back to the original CONELRAD system which predated EBS.
      Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
      Remain ye men of faculty complete,
      Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
      Attending to our noble bond and contract?
      Or does here stand the last remaining man
      To give a fig for rules and order yet,
      No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
      Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
      Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
        Well, the first thing is to get rid of the damn scratchy analog audio and distribute digital audio that people can actually HEAR for once.

        Behind the scenes it is mostly an upgrade in equipment so we can access the equipment over a LAN network and print the reports out on any printer that we want instead of the damn thermal paper that fades over time. Plus it will integrate into our other radio systems much better.

        We have run Amber alerts and weather alerts and even one time when 911 went down for Vancouver... It was originally to allow the President to be able to address the entire country in case of nuclear attack, but it has never been used by a President all the way back to the original CONELRAD system which predated EBS.
        And then scientist invented the internet to protect communications after a nuclear event. 'member back in the day when the internet used to be all text based and only had science related websites.
        "Operator! Give me the number for 911! " - Homer S.

        Comment


        • #19
          I remember the internet being fun and good. It's really gone to shit.
          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
          ...but it plays one on TV.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
            I remember the internet being fun and good. It's really gone to shit.
            Sorry, I'll trade you your text-only BBS for streaming video (Movies,TV & porn) all day long...

            Now when they let our ISPs block us from international sites, THEN I will agree with you. But for now I have some new free porn to watch...
            Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
            Remain ye men of faculty complete,
            Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
            Attending to our noble bond and contract?
            Or does here stand the last remaining man
            To give a fig for rules and order yet,
            No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
            Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
            Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

            Comment


            • #21
              It used to inform. Now it sells. Being off dialup might improve my experience, but something qualitatively changed some time back. Dialup wasn't so bad when a search got you info instead of ads. Once it was in the spirit of giving. That's pretty much gone. Too much chaff.
              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
              ...but it plays one on TV.

              Comment


              • #22
                I was slow coming to this site, but I have to admit... THis has easily become the site for up to date info and quick replys from those who hold the info you seek. There is little to no activity at ODSA, hmm Nice job Sam!
                Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by CarlitosBonitos View Post
                  I was slow coming to this site, but I have to admit... THis has easily become the site for up to date info and quick replys from those who hold the info you seek. There is little to no activity at ODSA, hmm Nice job Sam!
                  Well since he was the single person who posted on that site the most, once he left they lost 50% of their traffic!

                  I'm only here for the 247 mini golf and cribbage master! Damn addictive little games...
                  Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                  Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                  Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                  Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                  Or does here stand the last remaining man
                  To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                  No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                  Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                  Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
                    Well since he was the single person who posted on that site the most, once he left they lost 50% of their traffic!
                    If thats the case The same could be said here too. He has nearly 50% 0f the posts. I do have to admit the rhetoric has been dialed down some.

                    I find it interesting that some of you think odsa is such a crappy site. Yet most of you still go there to post and/or promote your events but still have the nuts to bad mouth it. HERE!. Douche Bags
                    rewindb.com

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                      I find it interesting that some of you think odsa is such a crappy site.
                      The reasons we thought/think ODSA is crappy have been well-covered and are facts, not opinions: lack of an edit function (remedied for a while although it seems to have gone AWOL again); lack of responsive moderation (mostly due to a simple lack of moderators); lack of any useful content other than the forum (when were the ODSA course directory and calendar last updated?).
                      Oregon disc golf map

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                        I find it interesting that some of you think odsa is such a crappy site. Yet most of you still go there to post and/or promote your events but still have the nuts to bad mouth it. HERE!. Douche Bags
                        No one said it was a crappy site, it is actually a wonderful site, my only issue was that there has been a huge drop off in posts, and the only thing that seems to be posted regularly is event updates. there has been a major drop off in the fun and other topics that make me think, or at least make my days go by quicker. And speaking of Douche Bags... didn't you just do what you are accusing us of doing to earn our douch bag status, you came on the other site and badmouthed it by badmouthing those who frequent it. Well played sir... By the way it takes a big man to hide behind an avatar and call people names, perhaps you want to avoid doing this in the future. We all have a common interest, and I don't see the reason for childish name calling. Just a thought. Also the point of my comments were to commend Sam and anyone else who has helped to bring this site along.
                        Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          A long time poster in both I have seen this site grow while watching odsa diminish, it's not good or bad, right or wrong, good or evil, just a reality.
                          See, no names, no blames, just observation.
                          educate your thinking

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by JMan View Post
                            A long time poster in both I have seen this site grow while watching odsa diminish, it's not good or bad, right or wrong, good or evil, just a reality.
                            See, no names, no blames, just observation.

                            Well said, Sir!

                            Bob

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by JMan View Post
                              A long time poster in both I have seen this site grow while watching odsa diminish, it's not good or bad, right or wrong, good or evil, just a reality.
                              See, no names, no blames, just observation.
                              And that was what I was trying to say in my post, Jubby.

                              If the person who posts the most leaves one site and goes to another, it doesn't make one site better than another. I was just stating the facts: until a new Sam-like poster finds and posts to ODSA as much as he did, the traffic will be less.

                              But I still like the arcade!
                              Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                              Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                              Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                              Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                              Or does here stand the last remaining man
                              To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                              No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                              Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                              Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                                The reasons we thought/think ODSA is crappy have been well-covered and are facts, not opinions: lack of an edit function (remedied for a while although it seems to have gone AWOL again); lack of responsive moderation (mostly due to a simple lack of moderators); lack of any useful content other than the forum (when were the ODSA course directory and calendar last updated?).
                                What thread has the edit feature disappeared from? I just checked and it's still enabled.
                                Current World Rank: 2857th
                                Lowest Rated Round: 777
                                Worst Tournament Finish: 2nd From DFL MA2 GNO 2008
                                Worst Drive: 10 Feet behind teepad
                                Shortest Putt Missed During a Tournament: < 1 foot (Not Kidding)
                                Best Fall: Hole 11 Trojan Park, before cement teepads
                                Dirtiest Ace: Hole 12 Horning's Canyon Course through the "V" tree.
                                Pairs of Shoes Ruined: 6

                                Comment

                                Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X