X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for you masters...

I have been away from this website for too long.. anyways, for my first post in a while.. I would like to know how those in the masters divisions have made the transition over the years in discs, specifically about weights as you got older. For those who started while you were masters, what weights do you use currently? I am trying to help a few Deaf Masters and they are all using pretty heavy discs and I can see it is affecting their game and bodies, to convince them to move down in weights and disc selection, i need some feedback from master guys on this forum... help anyone? Thanks.

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
    I have been away from this website for too long.. anyways, for my first post in a while.. I would like to know how those in the masters divisions have made the transition over the years in discs, specifically about weights as you got older. For those who started while you were masters, what weights do you use currently? I am trying to help a few Deaf Masters and they are all using pretty heavy discs and I can see it is affecting their game and bodies, to convince them to move down in weights and disc selection, i need some feedback from master guys on this forum... help anyone? Thanks.
    In the beginning for me at the ripe young age of 56 I was throwing anything I could get my hands on and couldn't out why I had such bad tendinitis and my shoulder and back were killing me. I dropped to 150 class discs and am pain free now. Also as I've buit up the muscles used for disc golf I can throw heavier disc but not for a whole round. I definitely start out a round with 150 gm and later in the round when I'm well warmed up I can start to throw heavier plastic without injury.

Good on you for getting the older guys involved.

Bob

Comment

BOB... What discs do you use in the 150 class? Any suggestions.. You use the 150 Monarch yet, if so, you like it?

Comment

BOB... What discs do you use in the 150 class? Any suggestions.. You use the 150 Monarch yet, if so, you like it?

I do throw a 150 monarch which I love for certain shots. Can't go wrong with a 150 Sidewinder and lately I found and have fallen in love with a 150 Star SL. For the past month or so a 150 Destroyer found its way into the rotation also. A 150 Tee Bird works well for me also.

BUT as you know it really comes down to who is throwing the disc. You'll always get varying opinions on the subject. This is just what I'm currently throwing.

Bob

Comment

At 61, I'm heavy into light. Lots of 150 DX stuff in my bag. I don't throw anything heavy from a tee.
          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I've played for many years with max weight discs, but am now trying to shift to lighter plastic, even 150 class. It isn't an easy transition but I feel that it is what I need to do to keep throwing for years to come.
            I really love the Destroyer in the DX and Pro plastic, you just go through discs faster. I also really like the Surge in ESP or FLX. Other than Pro Orcs or Wraiths I don't use many different drivers just various levels of beat-in.
            Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
            Remain ye men of faculty complete,
            Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
            Attending to our noble bond and contract?
            Or does here stand the last remaining man
            To give a fig for rules and order yet,
            No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
            Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
            Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

The only discs I throw over 170 are my Buzzzes and Soft Magnets, but my Buzzzes are at 173 and my Mags at 174. Everything else is under 170; at 49 years old my body just can't throw heavy weights with any distance or control. I haven't gone down as far as 150 class yet, but I am sure that day will come and I will make that adjustment when it comes.
              educate your thinking

Comment

so it is safe to be telling the guys in their 40's to start trying discs in the 150-170g range and say the majority of the guys 40+ are moving down weights as they get older to be able to stay in the game or something like that...?? The masters division in the Deaf tournaments is growing but I can see them talking about injuries, fatique, not wanting to play anymore etc, so I'm gonna convince them to move down weights, good thing my fianace got a ton of 145-165g discs for them to try out. I am hoping for more specific advice that I could give to the growing masters division. Thanks guys...

Comment

For sure snap, if they intend on making this a lifetime pursuit they need to get over the fact that the heavier weights are for young cannon arms that can throw high speed bombs, while us aging hukers need the lower weights to compensate for aging muscles. Bottom line is that this game is intended to be fun, not just another way to get injured. Once they get used to the fact that their distance and accuracy improve going down in weight they'll understand.
                  educate your thinking

Comment

Weight of the disc effects more than stamina/arm strenght. Have them try the (whats that tube strecher called) Sorry senior moment. I use an un-opened umbrella to strecth as well build arm strength. It works pretty well just real SLOW.

By using your heart vs your head to choose discs is suicide. Tell them that by throwing a more varied weights you can make great strides QUICKLY. It more important to find models that you feel comfortable with than worring about weights at least in the begining. The same goes for type of plastic.

As an Almost Grand. I throw mostly dx I only carry 8 discs
                    Valks but i have three in my bag Low 150's New, 165 Tuned and 170 spent.
                    165 Star Winder (Munoz hand me down) Each has it own place as both backhand, forehand and UD (Thummer)
                    Max 10X KC Eagle. Forehand, roller and very windy (into the wind)
                    Up discs should be heavier than drivers (E-Element) and putters should be close to max. (AP)

Downwind or UPHILL (thanks Bar wrestler) lighter will go as far as heavy.
                    Into the wind throw it flat and play more hyser.

You should be able to throw all shots with all discs you carry. Grama like to play an entire round with just one disc. That is the fastest way to learn your discs!

The real trick is hook em up with the special disc Panther

Remember Drivers may come and go but putters are forever
                    rewindb.com

Comment

Yeah, i'm gonna use some of the comments i got off of here to back up my persuasion to some of them to move down weights on their drivers and mids. Will have them huk discs in the 145-166g range to see how they like it. Going to SoCal Deaf tournament this weekend, they have 3-6 masters there, see how that goes with them, then will work on oregon and washington mastas'... thanks for your input, more input is always welcome.... Good thing i ordered light weight discs for our cfr and player pack discs for 2009...

Comment

so it is safe to be telling the guys in their 40's...
                        No.
                        Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                        Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                        Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                        Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                        Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X