Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandos in tournaments

Here's a hypothetical question....

Say a course has a mando on a particular hole. It's not marked, but use of the mando is "common knowledge" among those who frequent the course. During a PDGA tournament, the TD does NOT make mention of this mando on a particular hole. Is the mando in play?

Same scenario, but this time the mando is actually marked. Does that make a difference? If the TD does not mention it, is it ever in play?

The same question could be asked for OB lines.

Originally posted by Scott View Post

Say a course has a mando on a particular hole. It's not marked, but use of the mando is "common knowledge" among those who frequent the course. During a PDGA tournament, the TD does NOT make mention of this mando on a particular hole. Is the mando in play?

Same scenario, but this time the mando is actually marked. Does that make a difference? If the TD does not mention it, is it ever in play?

The bigger question here is.........If a man goes into the woods and there isn't a woman around, and says something, is he still wrong?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
      The bigger question here is.........If a man goes into the woods and there isn't a woman around, and says something, is he still wrong?

Bob
      Thanks Bob.

Just to recap.... We have a discussion, you encourage me to post the question on the forum, and then you hijak the thread. Nicely done.

Comment

I'd think that in case #1, where it isn't marked AND nothing is said, there's no way they could penalize you for missing the phantom mando. For #2, if it's clearly marked then it should be in play.

But I don't play tournaments and don't care what the PDGA does -- so feel free to ignore anything I say.
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

So what I'm getting from your response, Adam, is that the man would be wrong. Correct?

(Sorry, Scott.)
          Last edited by zippyboy; December 1st, 2008, 07:17 PM. Reason: To apologize to Scott. I think that's a valid reason.
          TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

A Pet Peeve...

Mentioning all of the OBs and Mandos is probably the single most important thing the TD should talk about during the players meeting, well after thanking the tourney sponsors that is.

The best way to deal with that is to ALSO have a printed version of all OBs and Mandos on each tee sign AND on the scorecard if possible. If there is a lot of them a separate printed sheet would help too.
            Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
            Remain ye men of faculty complete,
            Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
            Attending to our noble bond and contract?
            Or does here stand the last remaining man
            To give a fig for rules and order yet,
            No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
            Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
            Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

The first scenario is seems "cut and dry": The mando is not in play.

The second scenario is very tricky. I think the PDGA rules suggest that the mando is only in play if it was stated by the TD during the players meeting, if it is marked on a course map or scorecard provided by the TD, or if it is stated on a tee sign.

Remember, you can always take a provisional if you are unsure of any rules issue and take it up with a TD at the end of the round.

Comment

Oh ya, all those attending the the Winter Solstice on December 20 can expect all mandos to be clearly makred (drop zones will be used) and mentioned at the players meeting. You can still sign-up at http://stumptowndg.org.

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzel View Post
                  The first scenario is seems "cut and dry": The mando is not in play.

The second scenario is very tricky. I think the PDGA rules suggest that the mando is only in play if it was stated by the TD during the players meeting, if it is marked on a course map or scorecard provided by the TD, or if it is stated on a tee sign.

Remember, you can always take a provisional if you are unsure of any rules issue and take it up with a TD at the end of the round.
                  Actually, this points to one of the reasons why I prefer to play tournaments like these. Thinking back, I've been hosed a couple of times in similar situations (once at Timber). The lesson I've learned is don't be intimidated by the person on your course who "knows the course and how it's supposed to be played" - take a provisional and work it out later.

Comment

Oh ya, all those attending the the Winter Solstice on December 20 can expect all mandos to be clearly makred (drop zones will be used) and mentioned at the players meeting.
                    Hmmm.... Kind of what I was trying to avoid.

You know, speed of play would be faster if you just removed all mandos.

Comment

You know, speed of play would be faster if you just removed all mandos.
                      It is the same way with your mom!!!!

Comment

My gawwwwddddddd! I just went into a coughing frenzy. Well done Pizzel!

Bob

Comment

Oh yeah? Well... um... Your Mom too!

(good comeback, eh?)

Nice one!

Comment

speaking of mandos and Timber.....what about the mando from hole 3 that can no longer be marked since the tree is missing. it is a safety issue, should someone install a PVC pipe in one of the fence posts as a new marker?? or just leave it as is?
                            "Putt" is a four letter word

Comment

Well, it's still O.B. if you go past the fence, isn't it?
                              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X