X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The SuperClass SuperThread

Ive been playing around with superclass more and more these days and thought Id start a thread for anybody else who has played superclass. With the Whip's upcoming tournament and my plans to run one or two more this summer, I thought some extra info for those who haven't played would be cool too.

Hopefully I'm not the only one in the PNW who actually plays with these things

Feel free to post rounds, tips, cool shots, whatever only one request, diss superclass only if you have played at least one whole round with them
    'Weekend 4 Women':
    Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
    Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

The SuperDiscs

The SuperDiscs
    My experience with the 3 molds I’ve tried so far that each of them serves a unique purpose. In reading other superclass threads, these seem to be the primary discs others are using as well.

Hero 235 dx – Straight & turnover driver, approach, putting
    This is my go-to driver at the moment, I get the best control on this one and almost always a clean release. To make it hyzer though, you really do have to back off the power a bit. As a roller, its been pretty much useless so far because it flips towards dome too quickly.

Hero 235 Star – Woods driver
    The dx version flies further and faster but does not stand up to abuse at all (gets tons of tree gauges) so I use a Star version in any tight woods and the further flying dx on open holes.

Zephyr dx – Rollers, grenades, tailwind driver
    My use of this disc so far is limited mostly to rollers. Its got great control for rollers and good distance (got within the circle on SeaTac hole 7). I also have a light ~165gram Zephyr that I’ve used for “big distance” tailwind drives (parked hole 4 at Lakewood with a big tailwind), but only bring that one very rarely. Finally, I pull the Zephyr out for ‘grenade’ approach shots, which I think is going to be a really effective skill for superclass.

Te Moko dx – Hyzer driver, wind driver, roller
    This one gets pulled out for any kind of wind that isn’t straight tailwind and also for big open shots that need to hyzer. This is definitely the most reliable disc in terms of stability but I have issues with the grip/release on this one. I tend to pull it right and release late for some reason so I need open fairways to put it to use. It also has made for a really good roller disc, pretty much equivalent with the Zephyr.

I’d be interested to hear about any other discs out there that people have tried?

Some pictures:

Te Moko (top), Zephyr (left), Hero 235 dx (right)

Profile comparison - Te Moko (left) is domier and has a steeper dome angle than Zephyr (right)

Profile comparison 2 - Hero 235 (right) has a classic fastback or sonic profile with a plateau near the rim and a popped dome in the center-Zephyr comparison (left)
    Last edited by cefire; June 30th, 2012, 09:39 PM.
    'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

SuperPutt

Upside-down SuperPutt
      Putting with SuperClass discs can be one of the most difficult things to figure out depending on your regular putting style. Just try push putting a SuperClass disc and you’ll likely find a maximum consistency range in the vicinity of 15’. Spin-putts also have a lot of problems with bouncing off the chains if they hit to the side at all.

I've found that an upside-down putt offers some advantages over regular putting styles:
      1. This putt is much less reactive to wind
      2. Almost always leaves really close come-back putts
      3. The larger diameter of SuperClass discs seems to greatly increase spit and bounce-outs. This putt flies more like a weight and has a lot of downward rather than horizontal motion which means greater odds of chains helping you drop rather than deflecting
      4. Push putters can putt! Flipping the disc upside-down allows the disc to fly more like a weight rather than an ultra-floaty frisbee allowing push-putters to use their normal pendulum motion. You'll likely have greatly increased range too!
      I like the Te Moko or Zephyr for this putt because the flat rim makes the disc fly more like a brick or weight once it is upside-down and the flat disc rim makes for a good place to grip it.

Basically, just flip the disc over and hold it with your thumb on the top of the disc’s rim. The disc tends to drop quickly out of the air so be sure to throw it a bit higher than a normal putt and there will be a very minimal bit of right to left movement so aim dead at the pole or a touch right.

Grip Pic - Thumb and palm apply pressure onto the rim from the top:

Grip Pic 2 - Fingers spread and balanced to counter pressure from the bottom:
      Last edited by cefire; June 30th, 2012, 09:40 PM.
      'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

SuperGrenade

SuperGrenade
        Any type of ‘up-and-over’ shot with a SuperClass disc can be challenging. They are big and bulky for throwing spike hyzers and low stability means you risk flipping up and over even if you are throwing high.

The SuperGrenade is a really effective answer to this problem. It reacts very consistently to different wind conditions and also reduces the chance of flyby or turn-n-burn backhand approaches. As an added bonus, it just looks awesome crashing a basket at a near vertical angle

This shot is consistent, but not unaffected by wind. Headwinds and tailwinds can pretty much be ignored for Grenades but take special care of right and left moving winds because these will push the disc, which is fully exposed sideways to these winds.

Basically, the grenade is a completely vertical spike shot that is thrown upside-down. To grip it, start out by palming the disc upside-down like an upside-down putt. Then move your thumb from on top of the flight plate to inside the flight plate:

The next optional step is to wrap your first finger around the top of your thumb. I think this adds extra power and really lets the disc rip out of your hand rather than just dropping out making for a more consistent release:

Finally, the release angle should be pretty close to vertical. Just like any shot, different angles will allow the disc to pan slightly right or left as it flies:

Last edited by cefire; June 30th, 2012, 09:38 PM.
        'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

Andrew, you are way out of control with the SuperClass stuff, seems we need to have an intervention.... Besides now you have given the entire world this information and they will be able to practice up so good luck on staying the highest rated player in WA!
          Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Enjoying yourself?
            J/K
            I hope to find time to play with some of these in the future. My biggest superclass problem is that I get so little time on the course that I can't convince myself to learn a new set of discs. Or even, don't park it, just par it.
            Hopefully your tips will shortcut me there a little faster....

Comment

I know, I'm a complete addict!

Yeah, it is definitely different to show up at a course like Lakewood and have the mindset of "Three is Good"! But I think the a lot of the fun is learning how to solve new problems with a completely foreign set of tools
              'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

Anybody know a good place to buy Super Class discs?
                Portland, Salem, Corvallis, Eugene, or online?

With a tournament coming up they should be selling quick in the Northwest.

Comment

I have a 195 Zephyr and throw it regularly. I have yet to play a whole round. I don't know anybody else that has super-class (yet). Chainbangerz has a nice selection of super-class discs the last time I was in the store.
                  Hukin since 1992
                  DGOD #115

Comment

Unlike Andrew, I prefer the Hero for rollers. Because of its fastback shape I can really clamp down and snap it at the end of my delivery. I tend to yank them and turn them over on air shots when I go for full-power.

I also carry a Discraft Ultastar since I'm a retired Ulty player and throwing one of those is second-nature. I use it mostly for up-shots and airbounces under obstacles.

Thanks for that putting tip, buddy! I missed a bunch to the high side at Lakewood at the tourney and that should fix it. Any idea when the ratings might come out?
                    Panda...it's what's for dinner!

Team Deucebag

Comment

The ratings up to October are here: http://www.pdga.com/pdga-documents/super-class-ratings

We'll do a yearend update around Feb 1 that will include a few events since Oct 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Getty View Post
                        Unlike Andrew, I prefer the Hero for rollers. Because of its fastback shape I can really clamp down and snap it at the end of my delivery. I tend to yank them and turn them over on air shots when I go for full-power.
                        You should write up a SuperRoll tipsheet, you were killing with that roller at Lakewood!

It'd also be cool to hear your tips regarding the split finger grip you use, I was trying that the other day and it definitely seems useful for high power shots...

There just isn't any practical information that I could find on SuperClass how-to's so I think it would be awesome to start building a library of sorts here.

'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

This is the Super Class page on PDGA with links to several articles: http://www.pdga.com/super-class However, there's nothing on throwing techniques so docs on that would be nice additions.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                            The ratings up to October are here: http://www.pdga.com/pdga-documents/super-class-ratings

We'll do a yearend update around Feb 1 that will include a few events since Oct 1.
                            well thats just sad no oregon players on that list but there sooon will be
                            PDGA # 31451
                            2 Mini Aces
                            75 Aces
                            PEOPLE WHO HELP ME LOTS IN DISC GOLF
                            DISC GOLF OR DIE
                            BOB CABAL
                            DISCVANGO
                            JEFF ELLIOT
                            G-MAN
                            JORDAN LEWIS
                            JEFF HAGERTY
                            JAMES GARCELON
                            SAM GIBSON

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Comment

I shot 5 down at Rockwood with a Jaguar...
                              educate your thinking

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X