X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JMan View Post
    I shot 5 down at Rockwood with a Jaguar...
    The Jaguar is not approved for SuperClass so you're posting in the wrong thread.
    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
      The Jaguar is not approved for SuperClass so you're posting in the wrong thread.
      well it used to be...damn pdga, change their mind more than an actor in a one man show
      educate your thinking

Comment

Jaguar and Condor never were approved as Vintage or Super Class discs (even though their diameter matches the Zephyr) because they have a more beveled edge than allowed.

Comment

Andrew is a 994 rated Super Class player!?!

Come on you banged up retired ultimate players. It's time to find some heavy, over stable, wind resisting plastic and knock this dude down a couple of super class notches...

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
            I shot 5 down at Rockwood with a Jaguar...
            I think the Jaguar probably makes that even better, I couldn't imagine trying to throw a whole round with that thing - nice round!
            'Weekend 4 Women':
            Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
            Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

Originally posted by LakeStevensBA View Post
              Andrew is a 994 rated Super Class player!?!

Come on you banged up retired ultimate players. It's time to find some heavy, over stable, wind resisting plastic and knock this dude down a couple of super class notches...
              I've got a Kirkland 80 mold around here somewhere. That oughta do the trick! Andrew

At worst, i can beat him senseless with it.
              Panda...it's what's for dinner!

Team Deucebag

Comment

Rolling Superclass

I prefer an understable disc for rollers, so the first thing I do is grab the Hero and throw a few grenades with it to tune it up a bit. That way I can put it in the air a bit longer and still be assured that it'll stand up and roll to its max distance before lying down on its back, hopefully after its done a victory circle around the pin.

For RHBH I prefer using the Berkely Power Grip; four fingers curled into the rim, thumb pinching the forefinger thru the disc. If my disc is properly tuned I release 20 degrees or so above horizontal aiming right of the target. I add a snap at the release point to try to add a few RPMs. If I hit my angle the disc will land and head left as it stands up, straightens out and starts curling right at the end of the roll. I've maxed out at 85 yards at the local soccer field.

For RHFH I go to the Zephyr because it has a deeper rim which allows me to get my whole fingertip into it. I use a basic scissors grip but at the moment of release my forefinger joins my middle finger to give the throw that extra snap at the end.

I don't tune the Zephyr since I've found that SC discs want to turn over throwing the flick unless you really accent the IO motion. Frankly, it hurts my arm to do that. My release is about 10 degrees above horizontal. I aim left of the target since the disc should cut right on landing and then stand up, straighten out and curl left at the end.

I highly recommend taking your stack of plastic to a nice flat field and giving these throws a try before you use them in a round. I practiced throwing various angles and speeds for an hour the day before the tournament and it paid off in huge dividends.

Team Deucebag

Comment

Originally posted by Getty View Post
                  For RHBH I prefer using the Berkely Power Grip; four fingers curled into the rim, thumb pinching the forefinger thru the disc. If my disc is properly tuned I release 20 degrees or so above horizontal aiming right of the target.
                  Awesome, thanks so much Getty!

One question, when you throw the RHBH roller do you throw the disc flat or do you give it any turnover angle?
                  'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

Originally posted by cefire View Post
                    Awesome, thanks so much Getty!

One question, when you throw the RHBH roller do you throw the disc flat or do you give it any turnover angle?

About 20 degrees worth and let the disc do the rest of the work.

Team Deucebag

Comment

Played some fun superclass rounds this weekend at Dabney and also at Blythe Park up here in Bothell. While I was down at Dabney I was forced to retire my first superclass disc

It cracked on a tree hit on the first lower wooded hole. It was probably around 40F or so, but cold enough I guess.

RIP Good buddy!
                      Last edited by cefire; June 30th, 2012, 09:42 PM.
                      'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

Originally posted by cefire View Post
                        Played some fun superclass rounds this weekend at Dabney and also at Blythe Park up here in Bothell. While I was down at Dabney I was forced to retire my first superclass disc

It cracked on a tree hit on the first lower wooded hole. It was probably around 40F or so, but cold enough I guess.

RIP Good buddy!
                        Are you going to mount it?
                        Throw What You Know.
                        "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                        PDGA# 45989

Comment

Originally posted by Uhlman View Post
                          Are you going to mount it?
                          It's ok to love your discs. Just don't LOOOOVE your discs.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                            It's ok to love your discs. Just don't LOOOOVE your discs.
                            wow , how did I know that was going to happen.
                            Throw What You Know.
                            "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                            PDGA# 45989

Comment

I thought I would putt my own observations into this wonderful thread; I thought I had to let everyone know my vast SuperClass knowledge being that I am the lowest rated player in the state and second lowest in the NW. I guess take what I say with a grain of salt. What I'm saying is I'm not a 1000 rated player or even close so my conclusions may seem off to 1000 rated players. Last time I wasn't ready but Whip's tournament I will be ready! Anyway...

I have been field testing Andrew and Getty's ideas that were posted in this thread. My thoughts....

Discs:

HERO 235:

This is basically THE disc for SC. Great grip and feel and seems to fly the farthest compared to the other discs I've thrown. I agree with Getty and disagree with Andrew (Sorry buddy) in that this is a great BH roller disc. I found it to be the easiest to turnover and execute a consistent roller.

TE MOKO:

This is your headwind/hyzer trick shot disc. I actually like throwing FH and this is a disc for that too. I pretty much agree with Andrew about it being your most consistently stable disc but if you are used to the Hero 235 the grip is a bit different but I think if you prefer the Zephyr grip then you should have no worries with it. As a roller I found it useless as it is tough to turn over and when it lands it gets a big bump/flex when it hits the ground and kills all of the momentum of the disc. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with it? Not sure but the Hero 235 doesn't do that for me.

ZEPHYR:

This is the disc I am using for that upside down putt that Andrew was kind enough to show everyone about. They come in heavy weights and feel pretty good for that upside down putt as well. As a roller I found it fairly useful for distance but it was hard for me to get it to turn over like the Te Moko but it didn't get as big as a bump/flex when it hit the ground and because it is heavy it seems to roll over things with no problem as long as it has some steam behind it. I don't like it for air shots as it isn't as reliable as the Te Moko and doesn't go as far as the Hero 235, making it pretty useless for me other than rollers and putting.

SUPERHERO:

Mine is really light (135 grams I believe) so I use it for specialty anhyzers and short touch shots. It's made in Champion plastic and was originally made for playing catch with you dog. It is incredibly tough to not torque this over and anytime there is wind forget about it! I'm not exactly sure where you an find this in a heavy weight (other than Chuck Kennedy's bag) but that would be nice to try. I really like the grip, feel and gumminess of this disc in my hand.

Specialty Throws:

BACK HAND ROLLERS:

These are tricky. When I first tried it I thought it would just come out of it but actually it holds the spin of the roller quite well. I recommend a heavier disc (190+ grams) for rollers as it seems like the lighter ones don't take the hits of bumps and debri quite as well at least from my field testing anyway. I recommend a Hero 235 for this shot as it is the easiest to turnover; believe it or not turning over a Super Class disc for a BH rollers is harder than you think!

FOREHAND ROLLERS:

This is only useful if you need to go sharply left (RHBH) with a low ceiling but it only works for a very short shot. I haven't figured out any distance with type of shot yet.

SUPERGRENADE:

This is the shot I wish I knew last time I played a rated Super Class event! This shot seems to work best with the Zephyr and Te Moko because of the grip. You can throw this shot really high and it just slightly moves right but not much at all and lands vertical just how you threw it. It seems to go about 100-120 feet MAXIMUM at least for me. After throwing it about 5 or 6 times my thumb was killing me!!! It hurt really bad to throw this shot for me but it was also cold outside too so that didn't help.

UPSIDE-DOWN PUTT:

Like I mentioned earlier the Zephyr and Te Moko are the best discs to use for this shot. I find it only useful within 20 feet of the basket and past there it is really unreliable; probably just need to practice it more. I use the grip discussed and throw it high in the air and the disc hyzers (yes hyzer as in to the left for a RHBH) and drops fast on me so I aim high and right to compensate. It seems to work really well in any wind condition.

TURBO PUTTING:

Turbo putt a Super Class disc, what are you crazy?!?! Indeed. Like Bugs Bunny said "He don't know me very well, do he?" I am a regular Turbo Putter with a regular putter and it suits me well here also. I use it for 20-40 foot putts. I normally use the "spread fingers" grip with all fingers on the outside of the disc but for SC I find it more useful to use the "rock on" grip where you tuck your middle and ring fingers underneath the disc. These discs are really sensitive to nose angles and spin and everything you do that's not perfect is magnified. For this putt I try to aim high and right again and try to float it in instead of throwing it with speed like my normal turbos do. Throwing it slightly hyzer helps also. I like the Zephyr for this shot. Outside of 40 feet I just use a touch shot with the Super Hero.
                              Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Awesome Tom, thanks for all of the thoughts.

Practicing grenades in the cold is a dangerous thing indeed
                                'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X