PDGA Rating Question Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Hiatt, are we supposed to just comment on or care about things that affect us directly? Really?
    Nope. It's absolutely within your right to comment on anything you'd like to.

    The point that I was attempting to articulate was that if folks feel like the division that they choose to play in makes them more competitive, then that should be fostered. Because you think them moving up would make them more competitive is beside the point.
    Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Scott View Post
      1. I wouldn't think much of it, especially if I was able to compete against those guys.
      Really? At the end of the day you wouldn't be like... "Those guys suck." I would.

      2. If everyone who is currently playing MA3 moved to MA2, when the new guy comes along there wouldn't be anyone to play against, right?
      This is a good and valid point. Honestly, I don't think there should be two novice divisions to accommodate beginner players but I guess the powers that be at the PDGA feel differently about it.
      ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
      ~Annika SŲrenstam

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by all2common View Post
        The point that I was attempting to articulate was that if folks feel like the division that they choose to play in makes them more competitive, then that should be fostered. Because you think them moving up would make them more competitive is beside the point.
        Well, my desire is to see our sport grow more competitive as a whole. I do not think lower-rated players staying in a lower-rated division playing against other lower-rated players helps that goal, ultimately.
        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
        ~Annika SŲrenstam

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Sam View Post
          Well, my desire is to see our sport grow more competitive as a whole. I do not think lower-rated players staying in a lower-rated division playing against other lower-rated players helps that goal, ultimately.
          Frankly, I tried the "getting your ass handed to you in a tougher division" route for the last couple of years. That hasn't worked out too well, so I'm giving this a try.

          To be honest, my short term goal is to work my way out of MA3 within the next couple of updates. Once I do, I plan to have my ass handed to me by Sam in Advanced Masters.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Sam View Post
            Really? At the end of the day you wouldn't be like... "Those guys suck." I would.



            This is a good and valid point. Honestly, I don't think there should be two novice divisions to accommodate beginner players but I guess the powers that be at the PDGA feel differently about it.
            There isn't two Novice divisions. There is one (MA4). There is a level above that (MA3) for those that aren't ready (ratings wise) to play MA2.

            Comment


            • #21
              Yes, yes... I know that there are technically two divisions. I just fail to see the usefulness of both and would think that people would be trying to get out of both as soon as they can.
              ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
              ~Annika SŲrenstam

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Sam View Post
                Yes, yes... I know that there are technically two divisions. I just fail to see the usefulness of both and would think that people would be trying to get out of both as soon as they can.
                Personally I think it's great that there is a Rec division, even if people feel like my abilities are better then I think they are. That being said, i do think people should play where they like, if their ratings allow.

                I have no rating, have played in 2 tournaments and definitely felt when signing up for Slosh #1 and the upcoming #2, that the Rec division was where I needed to be. I think playing in a tournament is a hell of a lot different then just playing a round with friends. i found this out the hard way when I blew up in round 2.

                However, I personally feel that playing up makes me a better player. I had a great time playing Rec, and look forward to playing it again, but most likely will move up just so that I surround my self with better competition. I'm not taking away from the others that are playing Rec, because I have played with most of you that are signed up in Rec for Slosh #2, and don't consider myself any better.

                I do think that it is a personal choice, as long as you are meeting guidelines. If you just want to play at a rec level then definitely play there, but don't sell yourself short just for comfort reasons. If we keep growing the sport then hopefully we will continually have players in Rec and up.

                When it's all said and done, let's just throw some plastic, talk some trash, and have the times of our lives.
                Huh...I didn't even see that tree.
                PDGA #37890
                Stumptown #157
                ODW TDG 10-11
                3C&D TDG 09-10

                Comment


                • #23
                  Geeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz CHEF...............see what you cooked up now?

                  Bob

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Trozzle:

                    Not talking about you.... why does it all have to be about you?

                    I see this a flaw in a lot of sports and compatition. If someone wins a division, they can keep playing that division until the overall score or ratings push them over.

                    I played footbag competitivly for years. Same thing with martial arts. They had one thing in common... if you won a division, you moved up into then ext division. That was interiging for all.

                    As for disc golf, doesnt really matter to me. I just love playing. The first tournament... kicked my ass. Two rounds killed me! But I loved every minuted if it!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      1) Play your casual rounds with better players. It will make you better. Of course it just makes them worse.

                      2) Play your tournament rounds within the guidelines provided by the PDGA and the TD. This is by intelligent design.

                      3) Attend the skills clinics at each PDGA sanctioned event. That will make you better also. Oh, wait, we don't have skills based clinics during each PDGA sanctioned event. We should. I would totally dig getting some quality tips from guys who are better. The problem is that when you are trying to get tips during a competitive round, you are sort of annoying to the group you are playing with. Plus, have you ever tried to change something during a competitive round.

                      Logic has been applied.
                      Training to be a bagger

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by smobro View Post
                        1) Play your casual rounds with better players. It will make you better. Of course it just makes them worse.

                        2) Play your tournament rounds within the guidelines provided by the PDGA and the TD. This is by intelligent design.

                        3) Attend the skills clinics at each PDGA sanctioned event. That will make you better also. Oh, wait, we don't have skills based clinics during each PDGA sanctioned event. We should. I would totally dig getting some quality tips from guys who are better. The problem is that when you are trying to get tips during a competitive round, you are sort of annoying to the group you are playing with. Plus, have you ever tried to change something during a competitive round.

                        Logic has been applied.


                        Oh and welcome Dave W. Glad to see you are getting into the fray. Looking forward to throwing with you.
                        Training to be a bagger

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I think that we should remember that there are two things one can take away from guidelines - the same as we can take two things away from the law. 1, the letter of the guideline. 2, the spirit of the guideline.

                          I agree that you all are within your right to sign up for this division and think you should if it makes you happy. You get to play with good people. You do. Tournament-wise, however, you will end up playing with the same guys over and over and will not advance your game. If your goal is recreation, you will achieve this. If your goal is to get better at tournament disc golf, you need to start climbing the ladder. Up.

                          Personally, I think the guidelines are flawed and I was both surprised and dismayed to see the PDGA expand divisions on the lower end rather than on the upper end. Not saying that that would have been a better idea - just was surprised at the direction it took.
                          ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                          ~Annika SŲrenstam

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Personally for me, I could play MA3, MA2. MA1, Pro, whatever? in a tourney and still have the same amount of fun. I dont play disc golf to become the greatest player in any division, I play this for fun. I prefer to play MA3 right now because it is more fun, and less pressure on the competitive part. I finally won my first tourney of any kind. If I continue to win tourneys in the MA3 ivision, I woul gladly move up. 1 win in any division doesnt make me want to move up anytime soon.
                            All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Novice should be for people's first event - period.
                              I have a question. If you had a group of true first timers that was their first tournament ever, and they were all say in the Novice division how would they manage to get through a course on their own. I mean there are rules to be followed, and certain etiquette as well that must be learned. I played in my first tournament ever earlier this year at the Chick Flick tournament, and there was a lot of women who had never played a tournament before let alone disc golf. The new players were all in the Rec division, and were put in groups with the more experienced players form the upper divisions. I know I really appreciated that, and learned a lot. I mean I did not even know how to score before that tournament let alone any of the etiquette. My point is I think it would be less intimidating for a new players to play with some experienced players and learn some of this stuff, as opposed to fumbling around the course not really knowing what they are doing. For instance my husband has never played in a tournament before, but he would much rather play in a group with some guys that knew what they were doing as opposed to a bunch of guys that did not know what they were doing. Just an observation not trying to stir the pot or anything.

                              Cindy
                              Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                              2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                              Stumptown #176
                              PDGA #37716

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by LegoRules View Post
                                I have a question. If you had a group of true first timers that was their first tournament ever, and they were all say in the Novice division how would they manage to get through a course on their own. I mean there are rules to be followed, and certain etiquette as well that must be learned. I played in my first tournament ever earlier this year at the Chick Flick tournament, and there was a lot of women who had never played a tournament before let alone disc golf. The new players were all in the Rec division, and were put in groups with the more experienced players form the upper divisions. I know I really appreciated that, and learned a lot. I mean I did not even know how to score before that tournament let alone any of the etiquette. My point is I think it would be less intimidating for a new players to play with some experienced players and learn some of this stuff, as opposed to fumbling around the course not really knowing what they are doing. For instance my husband has never played in a tournament before, but he would much rather play in a group with some guys that knew what they were doing as opposed to a bunch of guys that did not know what they were doing. Just an observation not trying to stir the pot or anything.

                                Cindy

                                Cindy,

                                Knowing what I know now (after playing for several years) I would suggest that you have the newer players sign up for Recreational and just let them know ahead of time not to have exceptionally high expectations. I would say try Novice, but realistically I doubt we would have enough people sign up for that division for it to be viable. I'd suggest you set the stage with them as the whole thing being a learning experience, and if they play well they can pleasantly surprised. It really is about having FUN first!

                                Jeff
                                "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

                                Comment

                                Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X