X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRO/AM Payouts

To get away from the EC; I thought I would bring this to a new thread. I know itís been discussed several times, but it seems like things are changing more and more as the sport is growing. So, maybe itís time to bring it all up again.

First, I am a MA1 player. I do like getting script. I also do question things when a payout seems low. I know its taboo to bring it up, but I guess Iíll risk it.

I donít feel like amateurs have to get paid as much or even equally to what the pros get paid. After all they pay higher entry fees, and usually donít get a players pack. I also have no problem with TDís taking a cut for their time and dedication to putting on a tournament. If the majority or all of the sponsorship money is brought in by the TD then I feel it should be left up to the TD to decide where they want the money to go, as I believe it is.

I do however; feel that the costs of running the tournaments (park fees, printing fees for scorecards or whatever, pencils, OB strings, or anything else that is a cost to putting on the tourney) should be taken out equally from all the participantsí entry fees regardless of division. The one exception being the players pack, but if the pros get part of a players pack then that percentage should come out of their entry fee. Iím not accusing ANY specific tournament or ANY specific TD of doing this. I have talked to many TDís, PROS, and AMS, in more than one state and I know that it can be a practice to take all costs of running the tournament from the amateurís entry fees. To me, that is a form of subsidizing the PRO payout with the AMís entry fee.

If the trend is to get rid of script all together, like some Pros have mentioned, takes hold, then I think that more emphasis needs to be place on better player packs and/or lower entry fees. I know these last few years it has seemed as if entry fees are going up, and payouts have been lower.

When I started competing about four years ago I could hardly scratch the surface of cashing in intermediate. So when I finally did, it was a huge accomplishment. The same progression happened when I started playing advance. Before I started consistently cashing I didnít have extra discs, I hadnít tried the full range of drivers and midrange discs, and I certainly didnít have a stack of 4 or more putters that I could use to practice with. Getting script allowed me to start trying more discs. It also allowed me to practice my putting over and over because I was able to get 4 of the same putter. It ultimately made me a better disc golfer. In one tournament in TN I even won a basket, which tremendously helped my putting. My point is, that I think that script helps the amateur players get to the point where they can start thinking about playing pro, which in turn builds the pro field. I also wanted to say that when I started, I had many pros and advanced players not only give me tips, but give me free discs because they had extras from when they played AM and got lots of free plastic with script. I was always so thankful and in return I have given away a lot of plastic to intermediate players just starting out.

To finish my thoughts on this subjectÖ Iíve looked through the events Iíve played over the last few years and the one constant that Iíve found is that there are always more (many more in a lot of cases) amateur players than there are PRO players playing in these tournaments. As we all try to grow the sport, let us think about that as a good thing, because todayís amateurs are tomorrowís pros.

Maybe in the years to come, along with mixed tournaments, there will be more PRO only and AM only tournaments. I know that the NAAC this year (AM only) was a fantastic event!!!!

Dan Carpenter (donít want to be accused of being anonymous)

This is a good discussion Dan.

Over the past 6 years I've been on all sides of this argument; Am player, Pro player and Tournament Director.

Lately, I shifted my priority to providing AMs with better players packs with slightly lower scrip payout. My feeling is this allows ALL players to take home something nice each tourney rather than only the people who play well. Another positive to this is that it takes away some of the motivation for an "always cashing" AM from staying in Advanced simply because they can win so much plastic. I still aim to have a solid scrip payout, but not over the top.

As for expenses...

Am players pack stuff is paid for by AM entry fees.
    Pro players pack stuff is paid for by Pro entry fees.
    Tourney expenses, park fees, volunteer players pack stuff etc... is paid for by everyone.

As a TD, I do not take anything for myself, but I fully support any TD who decides to take a small stipend for himself. Of course, this only stands if they have put together a solid event, with fair payout and the stipend stays within the PDGA guidelines. Seriously... anyone who has run a tournament knows they end up costing the TD money every time.
    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
      As a TD, I do not take anything for myself, but I fully support any TD who decides to take a small stipend for himself. Of course, this only stands if they have put together a solid event, with fair payout and the stipend stays within the PDGA guidelines. Seriously... anyone who has run a tournament knows they end up costing the TD money every time.
      Depending on how merch/scrip is handled, scrip is often one of the only ways a TD can (legitimately) recoup some of those costs.

/in before bs arguments of TDs "ripping off" the ams with the cost/value of plastic
      Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        Depending on how merch/scrip is handled, scrip is often one of the only ways a TD can (legitimately) recoup some of those costs.

/in before bs arguments of TDs "ripping off" the ams with the cost/value of plastic
        I'm not a big fan of "marking up" scrip to move funds around. I subtract all costs from the appropriate entry fees, and whatever is left (+ added cash/merch) goes to payout. I don't "mark-up" players packs at all. In a perfect world, at the end of an event I want my tourney account to have ZERO money left. Sometimes this is harder to accomplish than you might think, but that is the goal. For instance, at the ORDGC the players chose to roll over the ace pot to next year, so there is already $148 in that account for next year).
        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I don't have big events to run but they all come out at $0.00. Don't mark up anything. If I script out to other people I leave it to them.Never charge for my services. Don't like players packs unless they are donated items. Want new discs and stuff show up and buy some. Get some with your script. You should be rewarded more for winning or placing in such events. Big events should be full of people wanting and having a chance to win. Not just to get cool stamped discs and shirts. If you had to earn what you get at these big events. The fields would be closer together. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
            I'm not a big fan of "marking up" scrip to move funds around. I subtract all costs from the appropriate entry fees, and whatever is left (+ added cash/merch) goes to payout. I don't "mark-up" players packs at all. In a perfect world, at the end of an event I want my tourney account to have ZERO money left. Sometimes this is harder to accomplish than you might think, but that is the goal. For instance, at the ORDGC the players chose to roll over the ace pot to next year, so there is already $148 in that account for next year).
            Right, but say you buy a bunch of plastic wholesale for your event, do you pay out at the wholesale prices? Next Adventure certainly isn't giving their stuff away at cost when they give scrip for events, and I wouldn't expect them to either.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              Right, but say you buy a bunch of plastic wholesale for your event, do you pay out at the wholesale prices? Next Adventure certainly isn't giving their stuff away at cost when they give scrip for events, and I wouldn't expect them to either.
              I don't buy plastic to sell to players using scrip. As for Next Adventure, while they are not giving it away at cost, they're certainly not gouging anyone. Quite the opposite actually. Next Adventure gives us a bump UP in payout which definitely sweetens the pot for the players. Next Adventure has been an excellent partner, and the relationship has been good for all parties involved; N/A, Stumptown and the players.

Comment

I don't like the idea of trophy only for AMs, and would probably not play in any tournament that was structured that way. Here is why:

As a perpetually average AM, my goal for each tournament is to finish somewhere in the "cash". I don't have any delusions of winning. For now, finishing in the top half of the field is reward enough. But what if finishing in the top half offered no reward (other than first)? What is my incentive to play? There are many reasons to play - the people, the experience, the player's pack, etc. - but one of those reasons is the COMPETITION. What's the point of competing if I'm effectively out of it after the third hole?

Perhaps I should play down? Move back down from Advanced Masters to Intermediate? Perhaps? But what if people who are playing in Advanced feel the same way as I do? I feel that eliminating scrip (i,e. trophy only) would only cause sandbagging to increase.

Comment

I don't buy plastic to sell to players using scrip. As for Next Adventure, while they are not giving it away at cost, they're certainly not gouging anyone. Quite the opposite actually. Next Adventure gives us a bump UP in payout which definitely sweetens the pot for the players. Next Adventure has been an excellent partner, and the relationship has been good for all parties involved; N/A, Stumptown and the players.
                  Well, maybe you don't buy plastic, but lots of times TDs do, or scrip moves through the local club, or a pro shop runs an event, etc. I'm not trying to dis NA at all, far from it. You guys are lucky to have them down there, which I think most of you know (though many also take for granted.) Certainly I'm opposed to any artificial inflation, but I think it's perfectly fine for a TD, club, business, whathaveyou, value their plastic at retail, or close to it.

Comment

Does anyone still play tournaments to have fun? No, just me? Oh alright.
                    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                      Does anyone still play tournaments to have fun? No, just me? Oh alright.
                      Is there some reason having fun and competing are mutually exclusive? Did you mean to say "just to have fun"?

Comment

I was thouroughly disheartened when I won scrip at a tournament and the vendor/TD had very little decent merchandise to redeem it for. I decided to just throw the scrip at raffle tickets only to later overhear the vendor/TD laughing to his buddy because he now did not have to pay me out anything. He told his buddy that he keeps a poor stock of merchandise on hand just so this will happen more often.

I won the same lame T-shirt in the raffle that I didn't want to buy with the scrip.
                        "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

Very well voiced arguments Dan, as a player who has played in the am divisions for the past 6 years, slowly moving up, now in the solid middle to upper-middle of the MA1 field, I definitely agree that am payouts are certainly part of what I play for in tournaments, not that it would ever be the sole or even close to the top factor that informs what tournaments I play each year. As one who's disc golf career happens to coincide with being a student with consistently low budgets in life, I agree with Dan, script has helped me keep a full playing bag over time, even though I haven't come even close to winning more script than entry fees in the grand scheme of things. I shudder at the thought of major PDGA events going trophy-only for all am divisions for similar reasons that Scott voiced (sand-bagging, cash-line). I think players packs are a nice part of the tournament process, but if fees are still going to be in the 60 dollar range for MA1, I'd like to also play for some discs. Folks should still remember that the vast majority of competitive disc golfers are ams, and not all will someday reach the pro ranks.
                          PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
                          dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

Jeff, although I don't want to talk about specific tournaments or specific TD's, I have always thought your payouts were very good and more than fair. Thank you for the way you choose to run your tournaments. I will always support them.

Next I would like to say that we are more than lucky here in Portland that we have Next Adventure. If anyone from NA reads this. THANK YOU for EVERYTHING you do!!

As far as TD's, local clubs, dealers, making money on script. That doesn't bother me too much either. However it is magnified when the payout is low, and the discs are marked way up. If you win a decent size tournament and can only get two discs without paying out of pocket that can be frustrating. It is also disappointing if they have a very poor selection, but I think that evens out over awhile and AM's stop playing in those tournaments. Just like PROS stop playing in tournaments that they think don't pay well. Honestly in my experience that has rarely happened to me.

I just really don't want to see a trophy only PDGA tournaments. Like I've said I like getting script, I like playing thinking I could win some plastic. If I were good enough right now to play pro, I would. If I keep improving and my rating continues to go up, I'll move up because I like the competition. I like to push myself. But I also like feeling like I have a chance. If i can play on one of the top three advance cards with golfers that are all pushing each other, I'd much rather do that then play on the bottom couple of PRO cards where everyone could be in a pissy mood because they think they should be playing better and they're angry because they aren't going to cash. I do believe that playing up can make you better, and playing with PROs makes you better, but playing with people that have bad attitudes regardless of division only makes you better at ignoring the people you're playing with.

As far as the comment about playing to have fun. We all get something different out of this great sport that we play. For me, it's fun trying to win and place well, and it's fun to get rewarded for that. If it wasn't fun I personally wouldn't be paying $45-$75 to do it.

One last thing. It's not just about the money and getting script for plastic. I've seen TD's get creative with payouts. Having a basket that they got donated by Innova for the winner of a division. I believe the BSF and the OSDGC winners got a free pair of Keen shoes, bags, etc. I think that is all very cool too! Some tournaments have had really great players packs and a lower payout. All of that adds to the experience.

That reminds me, we are lucky to have Keen on board the DG community here in Portland as well. Huk-Lab too. It's pretty bad ass when you drive into a tournament and see the huge flags flying!! That always pumps me up to and gets me excited. The NW has a great disc golf community, it took me moving away to fully appreciate it. Thanks to everyone that is a part of it!!

Comment

I would play a trophy-only tournament, but at a seriously reduced cost.

I'd like to see more Pro-only and Am-only tournaments. What would that mean for payouts?
                              The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X