X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A simple but tricky question

I've been looking into discs and weights and molds etc etc. I recently read this article I believe on DGR saying that premium plastics are not worth there cost. I understood from thisposter that he believed DX > ce~star molds.

So to move to my question. Even with ce/stars being more expensive /duarable is dx plastic on average easier to throw and could be said the go to compared to premium molds?

Thanks so much

Kevin

There is a lot to that question.

The basic premise that premium plastics hold up longer that DX is correct.

That may be good or bad depending on the situation. Stronger arms may prefer premium plastics because they hold up longer before becoming too flippy. I don't usually have that issue and in fact prefer my discs to become seasoned rather quickly. My preferred disc is somewhere in the middle - I love the innova Pro plastic.

Then there are grippability issues... The benefits of a better grip (DX) may outweigh the benefits of longer life (star, Champion).

There is no answer that will be right for every thrower. Find what works best for you. If you like DX, throw DX. If you find the discs are breaking down to frequently then switch certain molds to premium plastics. And it doesn't have to be a wholesale change, either. You may prefer your drivers to be one type of plastic and your mids/putters to be another.

The real answer is to find what works best for you. Don't be afraid to experiment and switch your bag up frequently.

Comment

Dx and other base material plastics are usually the original material used when molding discs, so they will exhibit the intended flight characteristics better than some other plastic formulas.

Premium plastics will cool and shrink differently than base materials, this will affect thier flight in comparison. Differences in stability and glide can be huge between models with the same name.

Its usually agreed upon that base plastic can be thrown farther than premium plastic in most driver molds.

Premium plastic will last longer and tolerate much more abuse before it starts to deviate from its original flight characteristics. Premium plastic is much easier to grip when wet or cold.
      Lastly, Star and ESP plastic take dye better than Dx or D does, and candy plastic just looks more badass than anything else, so thats why you buy the stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinW View Post
        I've been looking into discs and weights and molds etc etc. I recently read this article I believe on DGR saying that premium plastics are not worth there cost. I understood from thisposter that he believed DX > ce~star molds.

So to move to my question. Even with ce/stars being more expensive /duarable is dx plastic on average easier to throw and could be said the go to compared to premium molds?

Thanks so much

Kevin

Kevin,
        The plus to dx molds is grip, but the durability is poor to the point that you need to replace the disc so much more frequently than champion or star plastic that at some point it becomes not worth it.
        Champion and Star plastics hold up so much longer than DX without changing how they fly.

You very rarely see many good players throwing a bag of dx drivers, many players will throw dx mid range discs and putters because the desired affect of a roc or putter getting beat in to fly right (rhbh) is great.

In my opinion its not worth buying any dx discs unless you want them to get beat in and change their flight.

Cost wise pay the money and get champ or star discs.
        And btw CE (Champion Edition) is not the same as normal champion discs. It costs a lot more and is a lot older.

Scott Withers

Comment

Thank you all. All of you make great points. And that ce point makes me feel dumb haha

Comment

DRIVERS
            i like champion, elite Z, and gateways E plastic. the durability of all three seem perfect for me.
            as they change(slowly) i "get to know them" and we start a relationship. we grow together and eventually might fall in love
            some discs(DX/pro D, imo) are more like children; they start out as cute little babies and then grow into rebellious teenagers who dont want to listen anymore! then you have to take away their video games and use them as rollers and what not...
            sigpic
            http://www.discgolfscene.com/clubs/DISC_GOLF_OR_DIE

Comment

I prefer different kinds of plastic for different kinds of discs. For the most part i want my drivers and mid ranges to be durable so that they won't beat in too fast, and for putters i like them to be in softer plastic even if they are for driving, but thats just me.

Comment

I am also of the school that different discs work better in different plastic. I love my Glow DX Roc but didn’t like it in star plastic even though it was the same mold. I started out with DX Valkyrie and then after about 3 months I switched to champion plastic and finally to Star. Same with my or I started with DX and the switched to Star once I knew that the mold worked for me. I really like the star Plastic for my drivers because it grips well and keeps its original flight characteristics longer. For mid-range, I have a mix of plastics that run from star to DX depending on what I want it to do and how long I want it to do it. As long as a disc is performing the way I feel it should be performing it stays in the bag else it gets shelved and occasionally gets let out for a test flight now and then to see if it was me or the disc. If it does something I like or think I need, then it may go back in the bag for a couple of practice rounds.
                Throw What You Know.
                "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                PDGA# 45989

Comment

I just started playing and bought a Pro for myself and a DX for my son. My Pro held up pretty well with minor scrapes and abrasions. The DX on the other hand was a whole nother story. That thing got beat to crap. It even got some flat edges from hitting a tree or two. I would suggest staying away from the DX Drivers myself, but to each his/her own....

I almost forgot to mention that this was after only 27 holes. I couldnt believe how beat up the DX got.
                  Last edited by Nafarious; September 24th, 2010, 11:04 AM.
                  Too much of anything makes you and addict!

Comment

DX plastic is typically more understable, and is often easier for new players to throw.

Comment

DX discs are usually more overstable (relative to the same disc in other plastics) WHEN NEW. After use and damage, DX discs become less stable very quickly. Interestingly, I have noticed that star plastic is also more overstable than champion plastic (Innova's plastics) but the star plastic is less durable and, in time, becomes less stable (more understable) than the same age (i.e. same amount of damage and impacts) champion plastic.

DX discs are great to experiment with- buy a cheap version of a disc you want to try and if you like it for a while but then it stops being the disc you like give it away and buy one in a better plastic. I would suggest star or champion depending on what you liked in the DX. If you didn't like it at first but as the disc (the DX original) was beat up, you started liking it more, try a slightly lighter weight in star plastic. It will be a different disc than you want at first but with use it should morph into something like your DX original. But if you loved the DX out of the box, then buy a champion version. Again, it will not be the exact same disc but it should be pretty close and keep flying the same way for longer than any other plastic (except for CE and Latitude 64 Opto- the most durable plastics).

This is a common issue- do I buy a disc because I think it might work. What if it doesn't work. If you are in Seattle, I have a few discs I keep around as loaners- right now I have two Monarchs and a Vibram VP putter out to players that I think might like the discs or I want a review of the disc from someone else. See if you can find someone where you are with extra plastic. I recommend offering a deposit so if you lose it, you remain on good terms with the person who hooked you up! For all the folks that have spare plastic that could be loaned, my rule is never loan something I want back- both in terms of condition (I tend to loan for a least a month) or getting it back at all. If you as for a little refundable $$ up front, it keeps things cool. I LOVE the look on someone's face when they tell me how amazing the disc was or the ace they got with the disc (it's happened twice) and yes, I just sell them the disc.
                      Cheers, Bro
                      What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

Comment

Originally posted by KevinW View Post
                        Thank you all. All of you make great points. And that ce point makes me feel dumb haha
                        ... dude, i've played for thirteen years and don't know a damn thing 'bout ce... don't feel dumb, 'cause i certainly don't... (i also don't throw a whole lot of that shiny, pretty plastic... can't get a firm grip on it and i find the less durable plastics to fit my game better... i don't have the torque that the big arm boys do... or even that the longer armed ladies do... i'm a shorty with midget arms... i do however love me my star valkyries... )

peace threw disc golf,
                        emmarose
                        "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                        Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

I've found that buying a disc in lighter weight in Star plastic is more overstable than their heavier counterparts (probably due to taking the weight out of the flight plate more than anywhere else) and so when I buy Star I go with heavier discs now. I've always found DX discs LESS stable then their Champion counterparts even brand new. Just me though.
                          Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                            I've found that buying a disc in lighter weight in Star plastic is more overstable than their heavier counterparts (probably due to taking the weight out of the flight plate more than anywhere else) and so when I buy Star I go with heavier discs now. I've always found DX discs LESS stable then their Champion counterparts even brand new. Just me though.
                            Nope. It's not just you. The better plastics are definitely more overstable. I like that Discraft acknowledges it, and they include information on the characteristics of different plastics for different molds. The other thing DX is good for, is that it has more glide. If you don't have much spin, every little bit helps.

Comment

DX plastic certainly is an attractive choice for the cost factor, for my first few years of disc golf I threw almost exclusively DX plastic, at the same time I also watch casual players tossing around the campus object course with 4 year old DX discs ripped to shreds who become extremely frustrated when they head on down to the disc store after they finally lose their precious DX dragon and realize that they can't recreate the same throws with any new disc. In all honesty, I think the eventual switch to nothing but premium plastic (an equal mix of Pro/x, Champ/Z and discraft FLX) did help my game, you can still beat in premium plastic to different flight paths, but it's much less touchy over time and easier to replace when you do lose discs. But whatever plastic you go with, my only advice is to buy a few copies of each of your favorite discs (perhaps in different plastics) and learn to use the same mold for different purposes, rather than buying a new disc for each shot.
                              PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
                              dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X