X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo putting...

So I started to putt turbo style left handed mostly and was curious how far is too far for the turbo? I have tried as far as 40 feet but after about 20 the putter fades quickly to the left(cuz I'm a lefty). I can sort of turbo right handed but only from 10 feet or less and the putter dives quickly right. Anybody turbo from 20ft plus?? Or is it better to back-hand from that far out??
    Hukin since 1992
    DGOD #115

The turbo putt is a hard putt to throw for distance. When I used to be practiced up with it, I felt pretty good inside 30 and the very farthest I could ever throw it was maybe 40. Its hard to throw far because you can't throw it as straight as a normal putt. From the longer disctances you have to give it anny and let it do an "S" shot.

The turbo putt is a great putt to have for those bad lies but I don't suggest it as a primary putt. There arn't many (there are some) people that become very successful with it. I do know one pro though that can turbo from ~60-80 but he has been practicing the turbo for years.
    A par is not a bogey.

Comment

The turbo is my main putting style if you can't tell by my nickname being "Tommy Turbo". I've been throwing a turbo putt for many years and I have perfected turbos inside the circle. I usually turbo out to around 80 feet depending on the terrain as it's very easy to do downhill and extremely difficult to do uphill. And yes for long turbos you use an "S" shot.

Mikk is the disc "fluttering" when it comes of your fingers like a wounded duck or is coming off with spin? You could be using a putter that is too overstable for your turbo putting prowess or you could just not be getting enough spin generated by your index finger. I'm not sure if you use the "rock on" grip with either your middle or ring finger or both tucked under the disc or have all five fingers on the outside rim but either way the spin is generated by pressure from your index finger and thumb with the other digits only there to hold the disc up. The other thing people do when starting a turbo is they try to throw it too hard with power instead of spin and this why most people's turbo flutters. It's the same as when throwing sidearm; your snap must be faster than your arm or the disc flutters so same with turbo putts you must have more spin than arm power. Let me know if you want together and I could show you a couple of techniques, in fact if you come by Chainbangerz tomorrow through Friday I'll be there working.
      Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
        The turbo is my main putting style if you can't tell by my nickname being "Tommy Turbo". I've been throwing a turbo putt for many years and I have perfected turbos inside the circle. I usually turbo out to around 80 feet depending on the terrain as it's very easy to do downhill and extremely difficult to do uphill. And yes for long turbos you use an "S" shot.

Mikk is the disc "fluttering" when it comes of your fingers like a wounded duck or is coming off with spin? You could be using a putter that is too overstable for your turbo putting prowess or you could just not be getting enough spin generated by your index finger. I'm not sure if you use the "rock on" grip with either your middle or ring finger or both tucked under the disc or have all five fingers on the outside rim but either way the spin is generated by pressure from your index finger and thumb with the other digits only there to hold the disc up. The other thing people do when starting a turbo is they try to throw it too hard with power instead of spin and this why most people's turbo flutters. It's the same as when throwing sidearm; your snap must be faster than your arm or the disc flutters so same with turbo putts you must have more spin than arm power. Let me know if you want together and I could show you a couple of techniques, in fact if you come by Chainbangerz tomorrow through Friday I'll be there working.
        It used to flutter when I first started to turbo but as I got practice I lost alot of the flutter. I use a rw roc as my main turbo putter but i can turbo anything. As of late I keep throwing down too low. I believe this is due to too much elbow to wrist action. My use of the turbo also depends on the course I play at. I don't use the turbo at lakewood , steili, mt.lake terrace or the tac due to having more open putting. I use the turbo mostly at white river, fenwic and hopefuly again at sumner. I'm just expanding my abilities to throw and putt. I believe the more I learn to save my ___ the better.
        Hukin since 1992
        DGOD #115

Comment

If I'm stuck in a turbo situation, like going over a fern that's taller than I am, I will turbo with a driver. I just always have had better results that way.
          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
            If I'm stuck in a turbo situation, like going over a fern that's taller than I am.....
            That's pretty much all of them, isn't it?

BTW - That's a comment on the size of the ferns at the Mud, not the size of the caretaker at the Mud.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              That's pretty much all of them, isn't it?
              You must be talkin' 'bout that other Bob. (I am taller than he is.)
              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                You must be talkin' 'bout that other Bob. (I am taller than he is.)
                I was talking about the ferns! Really!

Comment

If you are going to Turbo I say Turbo in style. I throw mine upside down, usually with a JuJu, but whatever the disc - always upside down. They fall fast that way so plan accordingly. For me it just feels better this way. I use them for short to mid range and at all sorts of angles mostly because of playing at Lake Stevens.

Previous advice about the index finger is CORRECT - follow that. And per Sillybizz AKA Tommy Turbo... "your snap must be faster than your arm or the disc flutters so same with turbo putts you must have more spin than arm power"...This is the first I am hearing of this but it makes sense and I can't wait to add it to my Turbo mantra. Thanks Biz!

I've also heard Turbos are easier to throw straighter if you are nervous at the beginning of a tournament or if you have been at happy hour too long prior to your round.
                  Last edited by Cajun; August 24th, 2010, 09:03 PM. Reason: mispell

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun View Post
                    If you are going to Turbo I say Turbo in style. I throw mine upside down, usually with a JuJu, but whatever the disc - always upside down. They fall fast that way so plan accordingly. For me it just feels better this way. I use them for short to mid range and at all sorts of angles mostly because of playing at Lake Stevens.

Previous advice about the index finger is CORRECT - follow that. And per Sillybizz AKA Tommy Turbo... "your snap must be faster than your arm or the disc flutters so same with turbo putts you must have more spin than arm power"...This is the first I am hearing of this but it makes sense and I can't wait to add it to my Turbo mantra. Thanks Biz!

I've also heard Turbos are easier to throw straighter if you are nervous at the beginning of a tournament or if you have been at happy hour too long prior to your round.
                    heh. Hey Cajun, good win at LS Monday.
                    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                    Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X