X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
    Things appear to be out of my control. The course will be different but similar to the red/blue layouts. not all that cool if you ask me. I think that if the course doesn't get the total makeover it may as well go back to the original layouts with clearly marked tees and baskets. But, who am I to decide?
    What a shame. I was planning on making a drive up to check out the new design. It's too bad you couldn't sway the stubborn opinions into realizing how confusing and dangerous the old layout was.
    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I totally agree with Scott. I had the privilege of playing in the Vibram Open at Maple Hill and have been playing Brakewell Steel/Warwick regularly. Both of these courses have 2 sets of tees and two permanent baskets on every fairway. This allows for 4 different layouts to play with minimal cross over. Both of these courses are on my top 5 all time favorites list. The biggest drawback to this layout is if you choose to play the longer layouts, it is possible that people playing the short layouts will play right through you. Otherwise, this would be a splendid way to put all of those baskets in use!
      "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

My layout will still be playable but I am not sure it will be the feature layout. Some ideas are still alive but for some reason the best hole is being turned into two. Hopefully I will be able to get my design on at a couple of places in the area rumored to possibly become courses.
        Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Sorry to hear that the old tradition is getting in the way Chris. Kind of like Papa said, I played this course once and never felt the need to go back and play it again in its current state no matter how many same old deuce or die setups you could potentially play.

With all of the birdie courses, this seemed like a great opportunity to create a challenging course on the great land that Riverside has to offer...
          'Weekend 4 Women':
          Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
          Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

i would say wait until the elections are held for the peirce county club and then really make a push for this new layout. you will have new people in power in the club and they might see things differently and would be willing to make changes happen to better the sport of disc golf, instead of give in to the people that are making a fuss.
            Team HOSER:dancing:
            Team OLY:cheerleader:
            Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
              My layout will still be playable but I am not sure it will be the feature layout. Some ideas are still alive but for some reason the best hole is being turned into two. Hopefully I will be able to get my design on at a couple of places in the area rumored to possibly become courses.
              and that"s how riverside ended up with 12 different courses in the first place every local had there own layout/safari way of playing it i believe yours used to be black or was it red eye or murder or orange or green or am etc etc etc

Comment

sorry redfive just venting a bit i do respect eveything you"ve done down there though, but i wasn't really thrilled with the results. maybe i'm just afraid of change

Comment

Don't be sorry dan. Sounds like you have at least some of the facts straight. I will point out though, I lived at Riverside for six years and resisted creating a course. I saw this coming.

Comment

I would pay to join the club in order to have my vote counted going towards the new layout..
                    Relax and enjoy your hair
                    TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by dan mc View Post
                      sorry redfive just venting a bit i do respect eveything you"ve done down there though, but i wasn't really thrilled with the results. maybe i'm just afraid of change
                      I did help design black and if I knew it would have evolved into everybody making up their owncourse I would have never done it.

What are your dislikes about the layout? I have beenhearing people say that people are complaining but nobody I have talked to has said anything negative to me.
                      Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

For me the main concern of Riverside should be #1 Safety, #2 is a tie...Ease of finding your way around and making the course challenging for a levels of players. Riverside in its old design strikes out on all three.

Criss-crossing multiple courses and even crossing within the same course should never happen. Both cases happened at Riverside. I could spend a half hour at the course and hear "fore!" being yelled a half dozen times. You had to look both ways before you threw your drive and when you were going down the fairway, and when you were putting (pretty much the whole time you were at the course)

When I first played the course earlier this spring there were a few signs at some tee pads, but after I got done playing the hole I hopefully could find another tee sign with in view or I had to search out what possibly could be the correct tee, but the next tee wasn't always labeled. Ease of finding your way around the course was improved a lot when colored coded signs were made along with numbers painted on the baskets. But then you saw that blue 8 and red 9 played to the same goal... hmmm if I'm playing blue 8 where is red 9 throwing from? proceed with caution (duck and cover) Hopefully this issue will be resolved with the approved final design.

As far as challenging disc golfers, Riverside had many different course to test your skill, which was great, but very unsafe. Red and Blue were the courses that were most played and were enjoyed by a lot of people. But they did not challenge all levels of players. And so, people decided to make an Am course, Green course, Orange course etc. etc. Which made for more confusion.

Ultimately I would like to see the best 18 holer possible at Riverside and then "expand" safely by adding alt pads and baskets. It has been stated earlier that multiple tee pads and multiple goals on a shared fairway is one way to have different degrees of challenge within the same course and I totally agree. If 36 baskets are not available multiple sleeves where the basket can be rotated through is another option.

If someone has ideas or insight they would like to share I would love to hear it. Please try to be constructive in your responses. Statements like "it sucks" and "I liked the old course" does not help progression of design. Why does it suck and what you like about the old course is much more helpful.

Done typing

Comment

There are 3 things making issue here. 1 there is a lot of newer players and they like things easy. 2 the "locals" liked having choices and understand the layout of the land and know when to duck. 3 the tourney players know that riverside can become a killer and challenging 18 hole course with the proper setup.
                          Me? I like option 3. Sometimes I like things easy but it doesn't help me improve my overall play. Fortunately I made quick friends with Greg and other locals so that made it easy to get around. Before I got "in" with some local players Riverside ate my plastic like a fat guy at an all you can eat buffet. If you ask me Riverside "could be" 19 baskets with 2 t-pads per. 1 set am and 1 set pro with the proper SUPPORT from the locals and others.
                          Hukin since 1992
                          DGOD #115

Comment

After playin the new layout a few times here are a couple things i can see as possible problems #1) alot of blue/red pin positions are still being used. More people were trying to play the course the way they are used too playing it than were playing the new layout. So without removing all teepads no longer being used i don"t see this problem ever going away. So with the even longer fairways that play across several of the old fairways ,a good portion of which are fairly blind the course is as dangerous as ever. #2) Flow the flow of the course is sorta awkward there"s some fairly long walk outs and walking down 13's fairway to get to 14's pad seems aliitle sketchy #3) how is the county and whomever decleard the park a wetlands going to react as the new fair ways get beaten in and can they be maintained properly when they are established. Red and Blue were way cooler the the course getting yanked because the wrong shrub got cut or trampled.

Sorry for sounding so negative , but I think these are fairly valid concerns

Comment

Just thought I'd drop in and say something regarding Riverside...As a player that is new to the game and that sucks...BAD...I'd like to say that I enjoy the new course layout. It is frustrating and very challenging but after a time or two around the course I now know where I've got to put the disc. It rarely gets there but practice makes perfect right? There is only one hole that I kinda dislike...10...It ate my favorite driver but that was my fault for sucking. 15 is awesome even though it takes 5 drives for me to even see the pin. It's a nice walk in the park and I'd love to par that mamba jamba. It's my life goal actually! The old layout was confusing at best and had the potential of being very dangerous. I hope that can be resolved.
                              That being said...As a non paying player (not in the club...yet) I don't have room to talk about changes or even the right to make suggestions regardless of how long I have or have not played there. That should be the clubs stance as well...No pay no say! The club pays for pins and pads. They should decide where they go...Not the people who can scream the loudest.

Comment

what has been done is in no way a final product. There is still some work to be done and changes to be made. There will be tee signs and directional guides of some sort. There is a board meeting on wednesday and I hope that the course design will be decided or atleast discussed. The baskets were only put in because todd (pcdgpa riverside rep) was feeling the heat from players at the course. Everything that has been done has been somewhat independent from the club. No decisions have been finalized at this point. I was told we were going with the new design but that is not true. we still might, but options are still open. If you have an opinion make it known because I can assure you I am reading these and will print and bring them to the meeting on wednesday. dont hold back no matter how long you have been playing or how new you are to the course or game. I can assure you that whatever decision is made I am going to do what I can to get it done right.
                                Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X